09-15-10 – Forktography

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 09-15-10 – Forktography

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 97 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

I took Geology of National Parks and Monuments to fulfill my third science requirement in college, but we didn’t study limestone specifically in great depths. I know it’s fossil bearing. Does that qualify me for a cookie? 😆

LeicaLens
    Participant

I took Geology of National Parks and Monuments to fulfill my third science requirement in college, but we didn’t study limestone specifically in great depths. I know it’s fossil bearing. Does that qualify me for a cookie? 😆

Hmph! Well, I suppose you deserve half a cookie for that.
    I think we did limestone because there was that limestone pavement nearby.
    It’s actually a beautiful part of Britain, and there’s a decent pub in nearby Malham village (and one OK one).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malham_Cove

Also, Gordale Scar nearby is well worth a visit.

ravnostic
    Participant

Would a picture of a limestone pavement count? You know, clints and grykes? Not sure about forking, but the clints are split by the grykes.

I’m so totally not understanding any of this, but if there’s splitting involved, it sounds like it would be fair game.

What? You mean you’ve never been taken on a geography field trip in the middle of winter to the top of the freezing Yorkshire Dales to look at limestone pavements and glacial erosion!?
    You haven’t lived!

Well, it does split…

Honestly, I was looking more for the forking trees, roads, etc, but with the theme descript as it is, I suppose it would pass. BUT–do you think it will be envotenated by the teeming masses? I’m not so sure about that, esp. given the bulk of other entries.

LeicaLens
    Participant

Well, it does split…

Honestly, I was looking more for the forking trees, roads, etc, but with the theme descript as it is, I suppose it would pass. BUT–do you think it will be envotenated by the teeming masses? I’m not so sure about that, esp. given the bulk of other entries.

Well, I have a split tree picture, and I figured there were a lot on the same subject this week, so for my last one I went for something different. I did have a photo of a split-end (hair), taken specially for this competition, but, Y’know, it just wasn’t exciting. Very macro, though.
    http://flic.kr/p/8BpK3E

I didn’t have much time to shoot for this comp, and the ones I took weren’t great (ran out of disposable chopsticks trying to capture my first entry), so I had to comb the archives 🙁

lokisbong
    Participant

I took on my tree picture on the way home from visiting some friends a few miles down the road tonight just maybe four hours before the contest went live. and both the elk shots are from this week also. no archives for me just luck. Hope I have some with the votes.

ravnostic
    Participant

I’m a bit disappointed by the turnout thus far. It got +1’d pretty quickly, thought it would do better.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Well, I +1 every theme pretty much immediately out of longstanding habit.

U-Man
    Participant

btw – my psychedelic one is…

plastic forks on a piece of glass (borrowed from a picture frame)
    the glass is on four soup cans at the corners
    this is so that is is raised above my laptop and I can blur the downloaded pic of a kaleidoscope using dof

I thought about throwing one spoon in there but decided that would be distracting for the fork theme.

cameraflage
    Participant

this is so that is is raised above my laptop and I can blur the downloaded pic of a kaleidoscope using dof

I thought about throwing one spoon in there but decided that would be distracting for the fork theme.

I was thinking it was some sort of Schlieren image. Awesome shot. The Barbie head image had me laughing for a good ten minutes.

QueenBee
    Participant

I was surprised by the amount of actual..fork pictures 😛 I figured people would be shying away from it because it seemed so obvious. Theres some good stuff tho 🙂

caradoc
    Participant

Any spoon in that crowd would be forked.

caradoc
    Participant

Theres some good stuff tho 🙂

Quite. Orionid’s stuff surprised the hell out of me.

ravnostic
    Participant

Not disappointed at the quality, mind utes, just the quantity. But…it’s early. I do wish I was faring better; I’ve been spoiled by at least one pic doing well out of the gate these past few weeks…doesn’t look to happen this week, though. Such is life. I still like my pics (except the birdleaf one; kicking myself for breaking that before I got a better shot of it.

nobigdeal
    Participant

I was surprised by the amount of actual..fork pictures 😛 I figured people would be shying away from it because it seemed so obvious. Theres some good stuff tho 🙂

My actual fork picture is my lowest vote getter, go figure…

orionid
    Participant

I had that figured out almost to the details, except for the soup cans, and I figured a non-laptop flat panel.

Theres some good stuff tho

Quite. Orionid’s stuff surprised the hell out of me.

Thanks! 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 97 total)
  • The topic ‘09-15-10 – Forktography’ is closed to new replies.