09-15-10 – Forktography

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 09-15-10 – Forktography

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 97 total)
  • Author
    U-Man
    Participant

orionid, I put some distance between forks and screen so that I could keep all of the forks in focus (and not lose the tips) yet blur the colors.

please tell me that you made the forking sculptures. BRILLIANT!

Kestrana
    Participant

Oh yes he made them. With a dremel. That smelled up my office.

orionid
    Participant

OUR geek room smelled awesome, like man-work. 😉 But the dremeling was just angling the tips for “fork in the road,” which came out teh suxor. The forking forks were just good old-fashioned pliers and vicegrips, with a little bit of soft-annealing from a butane torch on the tight curves.

And many thanks, U-Man!

justkat
    Participant

Yeah, orionid, those sculptures are completely awesome. I’m stoked with my current place (on the paternity test picture; I’m not really surprised by the lack of enthusiasm for the centerpiece. It is merely ok.) and I’d love to hang on to it, but I absolutely don’t deserve to pass either of those.

ennuipoet
    Participant

OUR geek room smelled awesome, like man-work. 😉 But the dremeling was just angling the tips for “fork in the road,” which came out teh suxor. The forking forks were just good old-fashioned pliers and vicegrips, with a little bit of soft-annealing from a butane torch on the tight curves.

And many thanks, U-Man!

I, for one, welcome our metal bending overlord! 😀

/So. Much. Win.

ravnostic
    Participant

Yeah, orionid, those sculptures are completely awesome.

^what she said^

I’m totally bummed about results thus far; it’s my worst showing in four months, thus far. 🙁

I guess it’s good to get humbled occasionally, but on the contest I suggested? Piffle.

LeicaLens
    Participant

Yeah, the forking forks are inspired. I am not sure whether I voted for the idea, the metalwork, the effort, the picture, or all of the above, but no mind.
    Did you make spoooning spoons for the spoon contest?

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

Orionid, I love the forking pics! I wish I could have voted for them twice.

On a side note, my rail line pic is set to be my highest finish yet. I didn’t think it was that good, I thought my other entry would do better. Oh well, ‘I may not know a lot about art but, I know what I like’

ravnostic
    Participant

On a side note, my rail line pic is set to be my highest finish yet. I didn’t think it was that good, I thought my other entry would do better. Oh well, ‘I may not know a lot about art but, I know what I like’

I voted for that one. It reminded me of the shot I wasn’t able to capture in Springfield Mo (or the one I imagined, at least.) I’m glad someone got an image I had wanted to capture at least.

As for the votes, nothing I ever think will do well does, and the ones I practically didn’t submit are the ones that do best. I should just start posting the pictures I don’t like… 😀

I’m hoping I’ll do better in Classic Green. I at least got the colors picked out correctly.

Zero_Exponent
    Participant

Is it to early to declare orionid the winner? I think it’s a safe bet, so congrats on the great photo regardless.

U-man, thank you for the ‘splanation of the psychedelic pic (and also awesome BTW ). Were the plastic forks clear, or were they semi-opaque (ie white like the ones in mopsy‘s deliciously dreamy entry )?

ravnostic, no need to get all George Costanza ( if my every instinct is wrong, then the opposite would have to be right ). The votes are impossible to predict sometimes. I thought your frayed tire shot would be killing, but it’s only doing meh. Lots of time left to pick up some late votes though, don’t lose hope!

caradoc
    Participant

As for the votes, nothing I ever think will do well does, and the ones I practically didn’t submit are the ones that do best. I should just start posting the pictures I don’t like… 😀

If it’s any consolation at all, the votes I get are almost invariably opposite to what I’d expect (the one I expect to get highest is lowest, the one I expect to be lowest is highest, etc.)

ravnostic
    Participant

If it’s any consolation at all, the votes I get are almost invariably opposite to what I’d expect (the one I expect to get highest is lowest, the one I expect to be lowest is highest, etc.)

My thoughts exactly. Anyone else feel this way?

SilverStag
    Participant

I’ve won a contest with a pic I thought was a throwaway entry. Go figure. (Passenger’s Side)

zincprincess
    Participant

Yes. Yes. A thousand time yes. I think next week, I’m going to start with my least favorite of the 6-8 and move up the list just to test my theory that I cannot be trusted to judge what is vote worthy.

olavf
    Participant

I have no idea. I’ve given up guessing. Especially after this week
    /that or my pictures have hit a new level of suckitude.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 97 total)
  • The topic ‘09-15-10 – Forktography’ is closed to new replies.