09-24-08 – In and Out

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 09-24-08 – In and Out

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    soosh
    Participant

I shoot everything in RAW, but don’t do HDR until the images are converted to jpeg.

I don’t know that I’d worry about white balance so much, but then when you shoot in RAW, it’s really irrelevant.

How would ISO not be locked? Does your camera adjust it without your input?

corsec67
    Participant

If I shoot in shutter priority mode, focal length and aperture are fixed. Are white balance and ISO locked as well? Or would I need to shoot in manual mode?

In shutter priority, none of those are locked. Shutter priority is “use this shutter speed, adjust everything else to give the correct exposure”, which is wrong for HDR. You want over, correct, under exposure.

You want manual, and then you have to lock ISO and white balance. You then change the shutter to cover the exposure of everything in the scene.

soosh
    Participant

Or you can shoot in aperture priority, where you initially set the depth of the scene and then adjust the exposure compensation to get the various exposures needed. That’s what I do for HDR, shooting from -2 to +2 in 1/3 stop increments.

U-Man
    Participant

Duh. I was taking some pics today and the error I had typed earlier hit me. Yeah, for the few HDR pics I’ve done I shoot in aperture priority and use auto bracketing. I have only done HDR using three exposures, ususally normal and +2, -2 or +1, -1. Is there a significant benefit to including more of the in-between exposures?

soosh, about the auto ISO – to be honest, I don’t know if it changes or not. The way your question is stated leads me to believe that its locked. My hunch is that its locked if I use manual but I’m not sure if it is with aperture priority.

soosh
    Participant

which camera do you have? I think the canons only adjust ISO for you in the totally auto modes.

I don’t know if there’s more benefit to taking more shots or not. I would think so, but I don’t know for sure.

these are all about 9 shots combined.

U-Man
    Participant

I shoot with both the Canon 20D and 40D. The 20D is my travelling companion – always in the car, always in the boat.

I like your shots alot. I don’t know why, but when I think of HDR I picture big scenes. I’m going to have to try some smaller scale stuff like that.

soosh
    Participant

See, when I think HDR, I think of the details you can bring out of the darkness.

U-Man
    Participant

See, when I think HDR, I think of the details you can bring out of the darkness.

Yep. It’s slowly sinking in.

Off topic sidebar – I can’t stop playing with the panoramic stuff. Here’s one from tonight. I can’t figure out how to keep the seams out of the sky. Perhaps it is the lack of a true pano head?

http://photos.imageevent.com/ulle17/fark/Peoria-Pano.jpg

To keep this thread clean, I’m also going to post this in another forum.

orionid
    Participant

This might be a stretch for this theme, but since HDR is allowed, I figure I’ll ask. I’m thinking of using a technique similar to, but different from HDR. Basically, the idea I’m toying with is composing a shot of my car with the hood off, then taking the same shot with the hood on, and fusing them together so you get the effect of seeing the engine through the hood.
    Would that be too much edit for this theme?

nutkick_42
    Participant

If you can pull that off with a double exposure, it’s completely legit IIRC. Not sure about doing it in post-processing. Do we have anything that’s considered a digital equivalent of a double exposure?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

There are some Nikon DSLR’s that can do double exposures in-camera, but combining them after the fact is generally not allowed. The kicker here is that combining the exposures isn’t all that different from what you’d do with HDR anyway, but overall I’m not sure that gets at the theme’s intentions. Perhaps SilverStag can weigh in on this one as the theme suggester.

orionid
    Participant

Hmmm…. time to dig out the D-50 manual and see if that’s one of the fortunate nikons…. Otherwise, I’m sure I can find something else creative to do.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

IIRC it was one of the highest end Nikons…D200 and D300 maybe?

SilverStag
    Participant

There are some Nikon DSLR’s that can do double exposures in-camera, but combining them after the fact is generally not allowed. The kicker here is that combining the exposures isn’t all that different from what you’d do with HDR anyway, but overall I’m not sure that gets at the theme’s intentions. Perhaps SilverStag can weigh in on this one as the theme suggester.

Double exposures are a gray area that we probably didn’t give enough attention to during the recent revisitation of the rules. My gut feeling on this is that they fall into the class of “prohibited unless expressly allowed”.

My reasoning is thus:

In-camera double exposures are limited to film cameras and a very small subset of digital cameras, leaving most people out of the loop if double exposures are called for- hence they are exclusionary, to an extent. I know Elsinore is not in favor of things that artificially limit participation, and with good reason. I agree with her.

Now, if we want to revisit the question of Double exposures and using image-editing to produce them, I submit that’s a question for a different forum.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Actually, in-camera multiple exposures have been expressly allowed in the rules for some time…that predates the recent rules re-write, even. The real question is whether combining them after the fact in more of a ‘multiple exposure’ way than an ‘HDR’ way would be allowable for this particular theme. My initial thought was no, but if someone were doing an HDR-esque treatment that happened to include both open and shut versions of the hood shot, then the result would be a ghostly multiple exposure HDR shot which I would think would be kosher for this particular theme.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 80 total)
  • The topic ‘09-24-08 – In and Out’ is closed to new replies.