09-24-08 – In and Out

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 09-24-08 – In and Out

Viewing 5 posts - 76 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    mopsy
    Participant

I thought I’d see more HDR in this contest. It was certainly new to me and has been a great learning experience. I love the depth it gives to a photo.

I was going to, but time and family concerns meant I couldn’t spend half the weekend mucking around. Definitely something I’m going to play with though.

You’re right it was time consuming. Just learning how to do HDR was time consuming. But I love how you can play with it. My entry with the expressway from the ground up reminds me of an Escher print my son had in his room. My daughter and I went to Milwaukee for the weekend and Saturday afternoon and evening was spend trooping around with camera and tripod. I think we walked 10 miles. A sideline….we saw the musical “The Ratpack is Back.” Fantastic! I think they cloned Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis Jr., and Joey Bishop!

olavf
    Participant

Heh. The smallest of those lights is still a good four or five times the size of a keycahin camera. I was lucky the thing had a slot for micro SD.

Personally, I would rather just pay a model, and use a studio with proper lighting, like here(sfw, barely)

Very nice!

I went a slightly different route – Smith-Victor makes some pretty nice light kits aimed at the amateur photographer market. I think I paid somewhere in the range of $300 for two fills and a hair light, with umbrellas and stands, plus a dimmer that I use on the hair light. The one caveat is that the ones I bought are incandescent, but they’ve got halogens as well.

in fact, i used the hair on it’s boom for my silhouette contest pics. My model (the lovely Just Kat) isn’t feeling very photogenic right now, though, so I’ll have to find some new victims, at least for the time being.

corsec67
    Participant

The one caveat is that the ones I bought are incandescent, but they’ve got halogens as well.

Continuous lighting is nice if you have a source of power, since it is much easier to meter. I use 4* 26-watt daylight balanced fluorescent lights in my macro tent.

I sometimes don’t have an outlet available, so I have gone with a battery powered lighting system

On topic, I can’t believe how few votes my “bridge to nowhere” picture got, or that the convention center bear is doing much better than my transparent hood picture.

Yeah, yeah, it isn’t photography, it is farktography.

orionid
    Participant

On topic, I can’t believe how few votes my “bridge to nowhere” picture got, or that the convention center bear is doing much better than my transparent hood picture.

If it makes you feel any better, I actually thought the lighting and composition was better in yours than in my “lets hang a droplight from an engine hoist, and move this crap out of the way so I can set up a tripod” shot. I actully figured the silver and blue hood would do better.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Congrats to U-Man on another blow out! Good show everyone!

Viewing 5 posts - 76 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • The topic ‘09-24-08 – In and Out’ is closed to new replies.