09-24-08 – In and Out

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 09-24-08 – In and Out

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    orionid
    Participant

I just started playing around with a carboard box, a felt flap, a bulb timer, ISO 200 and cranking up the f-stops, that way I can legitimately claim one exposure. I’ll let you guys know how it turns out.

orionid
    Participant

So, I did have a bit of success. Intended effect looks good, reflections of messy garage on shiny car make the photo only mediocre. I’ll post the details in the tech thread after the contest. Probably would have worked better if the car weren’t black. No worries, I have two more to try it on/with. Feel free to use the concept (I’m sure I didn’t think it up all by myself). I’m off to see what else I can double expose inside/outside with my new box.

schnee
    Participant

…The real question is whether combining them after the fact in more of a ‘multiple exposure’ way than an ‘HDR’ way would be allowable for this particular theme. My initial thought was no, but if someone were doing an HDR-esque treatment that happened to include both open and shut versions of the hood shot, then the result would be a ghostly multiple exposure HDR shot which I would think would be kosher for this particular theme.

Wow, that is a blurry line. But, I agree with it. Since HDR is allowed, and since HDR is combining multiple exposures, it seems allowable for things to move (or open or close) between those exposures. As long as they are combined in an HDR fashion.

Doesn’t quite feel right – allowing the HDR combining but not simple combining seems off somehow – but I think it (HDR combining) should be allowed even for images that have elements that move between exposures.

soosh
    Participant

my vote would be that in contests where HDR is allowed, then allow multiple exposure stacking, too. I mean, why not? It’s the same thing, in effect, if not result. Especially if only one element of the scene is changed for effect.

SilverStag
    Participant

I’ve opened up a thread in the Pub and Grill for HDR/Double exposure rules discussion.

the_lessa
    Participant

so in the HDR vein, I am curious. If I took a picture at say high noon, and took the same photo at evening time, layered them in PS and flattened, would I get this HDR result? Or am I misinterpreting the guide?

corsec67
    Participant

So, I did have a bit of success. Intended effect looks good, reflections of messy garage on shiny car make the photo only mediocre. I’ll post the details in the tech thread after the contest. Probably would have worked better if the car weren’t black. No worries, I have two more to try it on/with. Feel free to use the concept (I’m sure I didn’t think it up all by myself). I’m off to see what else I can double expose inside/outside with my new box.

I don’t quite know if this is what you are trying to do, but I am going to try a picture similar to what I think you are going for, with the engine showing through the hood of a car.

My idea is at night, with almost no light, to take a very long picture, and when the car hood is open flash it once or twice with my Vivitar 285HV, and then close the hood, and then light up the rest of the car. Since that is one capture, that would always be allowed in the rules, and would give a transparent hood look.

I used a kind of similar effect (long exposure, dark room, multiple flashes things changing between flashes) here. (That is one capture, 3 seconds, f/8, 500mm mirror lens)

corsec67
    Participant

And here is the result:

This is just so cool.
    Would that be valid for this theme, or do I have to save it for “I can’t believe it isn’t a photoshop, part II”?

orionid
    Participant

And here is the result:

This is just so cool.
    Would that be valid for this theme, or do I have to save it for “I can’t believe it isn’t a photoshop, part II”?

That’s kind of where I was going. This was my first quasi-successful attempt. I’m going to try again tomorrow on a silver corvette and a blue jag, to see if using a lighter color hood changes the effect. Unfortunately the other vette’s engine isn’t nearly as shiny, nor does the hood lift off completely (And I don’t have an assistant to help unbolt it).

Attempt One after playing with light/exposure settings:

Single point flourescent light (hanging from an engine hoist at appr 7 feet)
    f/22
    18mm
    8 seconds exposure with hood off
    12 seconds exposure with hood on
    You can also see the edge of my shoebox on the edge of the photo… this is still the uncropped version

orionid
    Participant

I forgot to mention ISO 200.

And I think both of these qualify based on earlier discussion. They are both single shutter operation, performed in-camera and show both the inside and outside of the hood. Though I was also thinking of saving for Not-a-shop part II. Hmmm…..

justkat
    Participant

wow, neat effects! I think I’m getting a grip on the concept. A little late? yes, but i can has excuses. In fact, i don’t know if I’ll be able to submit anything this week, since I’m housebound at the moment AND get tired very easily. Well, it won’t kill me to miss a contest.

schnee
    Participant

this is good stuff

man, my entries are gonna suck in comparison.

staplermofo
    Participant

Does that fit the theme?
    Would an open mouth?

staplermofo
    Participant

I’ll take that as a “No. Shut up! I wish you were on fire right now!”

nobigdeal
    Participant

Does that fit the theme?
    Would an open mouth?[/quote]

looks like the inside & outside in one photo to me.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 80 total)
  • The topic ‘09-24-08 – In and Out’ is closed to new replies.