10-01-08 – Neon

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 98 total)
  • Author
    soosh
    Participant

I’ve done fine with late entries, but on the whole, earlier is better. I’d be happy to host & post yours for you.

corsec67
    Participant

Huh, taking pictures of neon signs at night is actually quite hard, unless you use HDR.

Kind of like taking a picture of a light… Oh…

I realized that a camera flash would actually count in this theme.

jpatten
    Participant

Heh… I hadn’t thought of that… The flash is a low pressure discharge light. …. Hmmmmmm!

jpatten
    Participant

Heh… I hadn’t thought of that… The flash is a low pressure discharge light. …. Hmmmmmm!

U-Man
    Participant

olavf
    Participant

People can post them on your behalf.

And the FSM can be jiggered to allow for a proper accounting.

The Farktography Team is pretty full-service.

(‘mofo, you keep cleaning the windshield, I’ll swipe the hubcaps)

That reminds me. Is there any way I can sweet-talk you into making my first contest entry disappear? I entered on picture on a whim back in 2005 that has totally dorked my statistics. I’m actually active now 😛
    /totally understood if that’s against the rules.

On a separate note, does anyone have any thoughts on LEDs? I’m assuming that’s a different type of lighting entirely, since it’s silicon, and not inert gas based, but I thought I’d ask.

SilverStag
    Participant

That reminds me. Is there any way I can sweet-talk you into making my first contest entry disappear? I entered on picture on a whim back in 2005 that has totally dorked my statistics. I’m actually active now 😛

I could wish for this as well 🙂

SilverStag
    Participant

wtf, mates?

jpatten
    Participant

I would say LED’s are right out.
    They are not Gas discharge lights at all.

Now if we were saying “anything BUT incandescent”
    Technically a Camera flash is a Gas dishcharge light. I think Argon, but i could be mistaken.

Read up on how a flash works… Its actually kinda cool how they get that massive voltage/current spike from a simple AA battery

olavf
    Participant

I would say LED’s are right out.
    They are not Gas discharge lights at all.

Now if we were saying “anything BUT incandescent”
    Technically a Camera flash is a Gas dishcharge light. I think Argon, but i could be mistaken.

Read up on how a flash works… Its actually kinda cool how they get that massive voltage/current spike from a simple AA battery

Argon or Xenon. I can’t remember.

That reminds me – I have a Xenon flash bulb around here – i wonder if I can rig something up in the next day or two 😛

jpatten
    Participant

I think you’re right. It is Xenon

U-Man
    Participant

wtf, mates?

I saw his double post and just thought it would be funny to triple post it. Thought maybe some folks would join the fun. I think I was wrong on all accounts. 🙂

U-Man
    Participant

I have no idea if it is possible but I would have no problem with that. I mean, it’s not like it would significantly change your averages or anything. It would simply reflect better how active you presently are.

One problem I can imagine is a bunch of folks requesting similiar stuff. That could be a pain. Also, most would not be as clear-cut as this…

http://www.schneeworld.com/fsm/portfolio/html/olavf

schnee
    Participant

While technically possible, I’m not likely to delete entries – facts are facts, and as U-Man says, this could open a whole can of worms. And hey, this isn’t American politics – past indiscretions count here.

However, the whole participation level thing is completely and totally derived – I could change the algorithm to weight recent contests more. Sort of like a radioactive decay or something. That I am likely to do. Let me noddle over it a bit and see what I can come up with.

orionid
    Participant

Don’t worry olavf, I feel your pain.

/Not quite as drastic. Mine was sometime late 06 or early 07 while bored/trapped in Rota, Spain.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 98 total)
  • The topic ‘10-01-08 – Neon’ is closed to new replies.