10-01-08 – Neon

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 98 total)
  • Author
    SilverStag
    Participant

On the participation level thing, would it be possible to take those from a sliding window of say, the last 52 contests, or maybe 26… I’m thinking a year or 6 months is a good enough time to determine someones overall interests, and participation, while letting folks who drop out eventually fall back in the stats.

olavf
    Participant

While technically possible, I’m not likely to delete entries – facts are facts, and as U-Man says, this could open a whole can of worms. And hey, this isn’t American politics – past indiscretions count here.

However, the whole participation level thing is completely and totally derived – I could change the algorithm to weight recent contests more. Sort of like a radioactive decay or something. That I am likely to do. Let me noddle over it a bit and see what I can come up with.

No problem. I can totally understand your reasoning and am cool with it. I didn’t know if mine was a singular case or something broader either. Alos, the last thing I want to do is barge in and screw with everyone else’s stats. Especially being just some guy who mucks about in the 6 votes average range.

The weighted thing sounds interesting though – if you’re looking at currently active versus ‘all time’ active. I appreciate your considering that 🙂

orionid
    Participant

I’ve done fine with late entries, but on the whole, earlier is better. I’d be happy to host & post yours for you.

Thanks again for the offer, but I didn’t get to get out today to do the photo-hunting I was planning. And I’m up to my eyeballs in getting ready to move, so I’ll probably just sit this week out unless I find some nice neons at the airport.

harpo
    Participant

So does a neon light that’s turned off count? Or does it have to be on?

I’ve had a few themes in the past where all I had was kinda crappy pics to enter, but this is the first one I’ve had no pics whatsoever. I’m a country boy – neon lights are the opposite of what I usually photograph. Hoping to get some time and inspiration before Wednesday.

jpatten
    Participant

yeah i need some inspiration… I have ONE pic so far to use.

corsec67
    Participant

yeah i need some inspiration… I have ONE pic so far to use.

My 3 picks for entries this week are from 1 night of walking along the outdoor mall in Boulder at night.

Bars, clubs, and other stores have plenty of neon signs.

You might want to go before it gets too dark, or balancing the exposure becomes impossible without HDR and a very flare resistant lens.

anneb
    Participant

I would say LED’s are right out.
    They are not Gas discharge lights at all.

Now if we were saying “anything BUT incandescent”
    Technically a Camera flash is a Gas dishcharge light. I think Argon, but i could be mistaken.

Read up on how a flash works… Its actually kinda cool how they get that massive voltage/current spike from a simple AA battery

I get the LED thing in terms of my camping headlamp, that is SO not in theme- but these new ‘bar lights’ showing up in places like Lowe’s, that are really LED’s- I’m dubious I could actually tell from a distance, at night, etc. (yes, I have the chemistry grades to prove it 😉 ). Strikes me that if an LED is really pretending to be neon, it should be ok to use.

As for flashes- I’ve heard of people disassembling disposables to grab the flashes — after waiting an appropriate day or two for the power discharge– and using them for funky costumes. Messing with one’s been on my “Copious Free Time To Do List” for a couple years now.

corsec67
    Participant

All I have for this contest is a bunch of “meh”:
    http://flickr.com/photos/33021410@N00/tags/neon/

Unless this deer with an off camera flash is in theme, but I don’t really think so.

Looking forward to U-Man’s kid holding a neon sign.
    And Soosh with a neon sign in the store window of a snow covered shop.

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

All I have for this contest is a bunch of “meh”:
    http://flickr.com/photos/33021410@N00/tags/neon/

Unless this deer with an off camera flash is in theme, but I don’t really think so.

Looking forward to U-Man’s kid holding a neon sign.
    And Soosh with a neon sign in the store window of a snow covered shop.

I really like the mannequin in the window with the OPEN sign, for what that’s worth…

harpo
    Participant

“meh”

I don’t know – I kinda like the Open sign and the ice cream cone with reflection. You forgot to mention looking forward to Elsinore’s shot of bugpron on a neon sign 🙂

soosh
    Participant

no snow, my friend.

soosh
    Participant

but I will give you this one

soosh
    Participant

one more snow covered shop

corsec67
    Participant

one more snow covered shop

Yeah, that is very close to what I was thinking of.

orionid
    Participant

So I lucked out and my flight got delayed… I can post now…. But, I too will be craptastic since I’m going to have to pull from the archives. And by archives, I mean my pics on facebook or myspace since my real archives are on my desktop.

Say, does anyone know if the shimmering lights at the Eiffel tower are halogen? I believe they are krypton/argon flashbulbs, but I don’t know for sure.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 98 total)
  • The topic ‘10-01-08 – Neon’ is closed to new replies.