10-05-11 – Where the Wild Things Are

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 10-05-11 – Where the Wild Things Are

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 153 total)
  • Author
    kashari
    Participant

I’d love to know the info aspidites! Not sure I could handle a shoot in the snow nor do I know when I’ll finally win the lottery, but would be good info to have.

So they didn’t have any restrictions on using the images? When you sold the shot, was it to a magazine or something like that or do you mean a print sold to someone?

The main trainer is Troy Hyde he runs Animals of Montana with his wife Tracy.
    Website http://www.animalsofmontana.com/
    I have only worked with Troy on the tiger shoot, but his Red Rock shoot in Moab is on the ?to do list?. They were very safety conscious on the shoot. They made sure everyone knew the rules and how to act around the tiger.

Shooting in the snow can be tricky and some of the things I have learned;
    1.Batteries: Lots of batteries and a way to keep them warm. I was duct taping dry chemical hand warmers to the bottom of the battery compartment. With a spare set in my pocket with a hand warmer. 20 below cold will zap your batteries very quickly.

2. Metering: Manual spot meter the snow. Snow in bright light, meter the snow and over expose by 1 and 2/3 stop. Snow in shade, meter the snow and over expose 1 and 1/3 stop. Check your histograms to make sure your whites are not clipping. If you get the snow right everything else should fall into place.

3. Camera: something with a frame rate of 5 FPS or above. Good focus capabilities. I was using an F5 with Provia 100 and a 1DX on this shoot. Now I use a 1D mark II N and a 5D.

4. Lenses: Preferably something that has a f2.8 they tend to focus faster. On a shoot with Troy you shouldn?t need anything over 200mm or 300mm I was using a 100 ? 400 on the F5 and a 70- 200 on the 1DX.

5. Clothing: The warmest, thinnest gloves you can find and heavy duty shells to put on when you aren?t shooting. Did I mention 20 below?

I used a cloth rebreather mask in Yellowstone cause some mornings it was 30- 40 below before we got on the snowmobiles, so add 50 mph wind chill to that. COLD!

The charging tiger was in the Ukrainian edition of Digital Photographer and was the picture that got me the calendar deal.
    The one on my B list was the cover of an Italian scientific textbook and I have sold lots of prints of the tiger.
    There were no restrictions on the pictures. Most of them don’t….You pay them for their services and the accessibility to the animals. The pictures are yours.

Being a native desert rat, those temps will zap my soul! Heck, it was like 75 in my room this morning and with the ceiling fan on low, I’m about ready to pull the comforter out!

Thanks so much for all that info! I’ve also wanted to do a winter wild horse shoot too. Maybe I’ll grow up someday & quit being such a sissy! But I do want to head to Northern AZ sometime this season to see some snow, so those tips are helpful and I’ll keep them in a note. I’ve played in small amounts of snow about 3 or 4 times in my long life. 😆

I’m thinking the Babies in June sounds more my speed. Love the pic of the cub in the spring flowers on their site.

There was a small/cheap workshop here to learn how to photog wolves, but they wouldn’t give you any kind of release, didn’t even want them posted online. So I skipped it since I doubt I’ll randomly run into any wolves any time soon.

kashari
    Participant

I’ve always been a PC guy for the most part, but over the years I’ve had to interface to the types of systems you reference. Fortunately, most of the retail world has moved/is moving away from the big iron and into server farms, so no more dealing with arcane communication protocols like SNA and worrying about tying into CICS transactions on the mainframe. Good luck with your fix tonight, hope it all goes smoothly.

I did AS/400 tech support for 10-15 yrs and had to work on the mainframe interfaces. SNA is arcane, but IIRC it was a lot more secure than TCP/IP, at least back in the olden days, wasn’t/isn’t it? After having the life sucked out of me by being on-call 24/7/365, I gave it up in 2005.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

It’s been quite a while since I’ve worked with SNA, but from what I recall, without explicitly encrypting the messages (which is possible using either protocol), I think most of SNA’s security came from obscurity. I remember reading raw data dumps of SNA conversations and if you knew what you were looking for, it was all there to be seen. Of course, this was back in the days before the internet had pipes big enough to support all the store-to-corp data transfer, so everyone had dedicated lines which are pretty much secure in and of themselves.

SNA was/is likely more robust/fault-tolerant than TCP, though. And I can’t imagine doing 24/7/365 support work for that long of a period. Glad to hear you got out of it alive.

kashari
    Participant

It’s been quite a while since I’ve worked with SNA, but from what I recall, without explicitly encrypting the messages (which is possible using either protocol), I think most of SNA’s security came from obscurity. I remember reading raw data dumps of SNA conversations and if you knew what you were looking for, it was all there to be seen. Of course, this was back in the days before the internet had pipes big enough to support all the store-to-corp data transfer, so everyone had dedicated lines which are pretty much secure in and of themselves.

SNA was/is likely more robust/fault-tolerant than TCP, though. And I can’t imagine doing 24/7/365 support work for that long of a period. Glad to hear you got out of it alive.

Oh, maybe that’s what I’m thinking of, that it was more stable because I do remember being able to sniff the traffic too.

Luckily the always on-call wasn’t that whole time, just the last 6 yrs or so, but that was enough for total burnout. Even if not primary support, had to be available within a specific amount of time.

U-Man
    Participant

That’s it. I’m buying a farking tiger this winter.

/maybe just renting one.
    //good stuff this week.

😆 😆 😆

PERFECT!!

Yep.

Thanks for the info about the tiger photo-shoot. While I wasn’t really serious, it sure is interesting. And, I have to admit, tempting.

aspidites
    Participant

I have a question one of you Mod’s might be able to answer

I just saw this on a main page discussion.

aspidites (deleted: Referenced deleted comment)

Am I about to get hit with the ban hammer again?

aspidites
    Participant

I’ve always been a PC guy for the most part, but over the years I’ve had to interface to the types of systems you reference. Fortunately, most of the retail world has moved/is moving away from the big iron and into server farms, so no more dealing with arcane communication protocols like SNA and worrying about tying into CICS transactions on the mainframe. Good luck with your fix tonight, hope it all goes smoothly.

Looks like we got it fixed. I really hate the way these problems affect my sleep schedule. It always takes me a few hours to wind down enough to sleep.

I’m not allowed to discuss how our systems communicate, but we don’t use SNA.

lokisbong
    Participant

I have a question one of you Mod’s might be able to answer

I just saw this on a main page discussion.

aspidites (deleted: Referenced deleted comment)

Am I about to get hit with the ban hammer again?

I have seen that message several times and never been banned yet. I wouldn’t worry about it.

orionid
    Participant

it means your comment was deleted because it was in reference to or quoted someone else’s deleted comment and therefore had no context. i think. at least that’s what I assume when I get it.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

^^ This. It’s just thread clean up.

aspidites
    Participant

Thanks.
    I was thinking I was going to go on a Fark vacation again.

Kestrana
    Participant

We can’t allow that. You might come back with more incredibly awesome pics. >.> <.<

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Congrats to aspidites on the “Where the Wild Things Are” win this week!

U-Man
    Participant

Thanks.
    I was thinking I was going to go on a Fark vacation again.

What’s a “Fark vacation”? Like, you’re not going to be posting for a while?

/btw – awesome win.

bender16v
    Participant

I’ve only had one “Fark Vacation”. It’s a temporary ban, usually 24 hours for posting something that could maybe be considered NSFW, or off-topic chatter in a photoshop contest.

Also, congrats aspidites!

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 153 total)
  • The topic ‘10-05-11 – Where the Wild Things Are’ is closed to new replies.