10-05-11 – Where the Wild Things Are

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 10-05-11 – Where the Wild Things Are

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 153 total)
  • Author
    Kestrana
    Participant

^agree

aspidites
    Participant

If you want I can look up the info on the guy that owns this tiger. I think he runs a 3 or 4 day winter workshop with the siberian tiger, a mountain lion, an afican lion, a lynx, and I believe he has a snow leapard now too. I’m pretty sure the workshops are under 2000.00 In the 3 days we photographed the tiger I took have 500 pictures between the digital and the slides I took. I have paid for the trip with selling that one shot.

bandy
    Participant

An animal in a zoo is not a pet? A “wild” animal kept in a restricted zone, owned by a person, isn’t a pet?

nobigdeal
    Participant

An animal in a zoo is not a pet? A “wild” animal kept in a restricted zone, owned by a person, isn’t a pet?

Technically…maybe, but we were mostly looking to keep out domesticated animals. I doubt a tiger in a zoo is very domesticated. We included zoo animals in this theme because most people (other than aspidites) don’t live in the jungle and have not traveled to the Serengeti on photo safaris. Otherwise it would have been a thread of squirrel and backyard bird photos and that would be boring!

Welcome to the forum!

bandy
    Participant

Technically… […] Otherwise it would have been a thread of squirrel and backyard bird photos

And raccoons, and opossums, and deer, and snakes, and buffalo, and chipmunks, and beavers, and alligators, and lizards, and salamanders, and fish, and woodchucks, and nutria, and other-than-backyard birds.

In the Silicon Valley (proper), I’ve shot red-tailed hawks, salamanders, and a possum, not to mention all sorts of shore-birds. I haven’t shot (but have seen) raccoons, lizards, deer, snakes (usually dead), and the usual assortment of West-Coast songbirds. I made the special trip (hour-long drive) out to A?o Nuevo to see the seal breeding grounds, but any trip of length down CA-1 is bound to spot seals of some sort lolling on the beach.

Wildlife is all around us ? we just have to keep an eye out for it.

Possum: http://www.flickr.com/photos/shellacfanatic/6219960501/in/photostream/
    Salamander: http://www.flickr.com/photos/shellacfanatic/6219960501/in/photostream/
    Egret, who landed on a 2nd floor ledge: http://www.flickr.com/photos/shellacfanatic/6219959253/in/photostream/

kashari
    Participant

If you want I can look up the info on the guy that owns this tiger. I think he runs a 3 or 4 day winter workshop with the siberian tiger, a mountain lion, an afican lion, a lynx, and I believe he has a snow leapard now too. I’m pretty sure the workshops are under 2000.00 In the 3 days we photographed the tiger I took have 500 pictures between the digital and the slides I took. I have paid for the trip with selling that one shot.

I’d love to know the info aspidites! Not sure I could handle a shoot in the snow nor do I know when I’ll finally win the lottery, but would be good info to have.

So they didn’t have any restrictions on using the images? When you sold the shot, was it to a magazine or something like that or do you mean a print sold to someone?

aspidites
    Participant

Pet: (of an animal or bird) Kept as a pet: “a pet cat”.
    Noun: 1.A domestic or tamed animal or bird kept for companionship or pleasure and treated with care and affection.

So, no.
    An animal in a zoo is not a pet. A “wild” animal kept in a restricted zone, owned by a person, isn’t a pet.

I have never had to sign page after page of waivers, sit through a 2 hour safety briefing, or initial a 2 page list of behaviors that would be likely to trigger a predatory response and would definitely cause me to be removed from the area for the safety of the trainers, the photographers, and the animal. To photograph someone?s ?pet?.

Anyone that believes they can keep a large predator for a pet is a Darwin Award waiting to happen and what Fark headlines are made of.

aspidites
    Participant

Noun: 1.A domestic or tamed animal or bird kept for companionship or pleasure and treated with care and affection.

So, no.
    An animal in a zoo is not a pet. A “wild” animal kept in a restricted zone, owned by a person, isn’t a pet.

I have never had to sign page after page of waivers, sit through a 2 hour safety briefing, or initial a 2 page list of behaviors that would be likely to trigger a predatory response and would definitely cause me to be removed from the area for the safety of the trainers, the photographers, and the animal. To photograph someone?s ?pet?.

Anyone that believes they can keep a large predator for a pet is a Darwin Award waiting to happen and what Fark headlines are made of.

Sorry, I didn’t mean to come off sounding like an asshole. I’ve been up all night working on a production issue in our code.

bandy
    Participant

So, no.

Sorry, I didn’t mean to come off sounding like an asshole. I’ve been up all night working on a production issue in our code.

De nada.

orionid
    Participant
    CauseISaidSo
    Participant

I’ve been up all night working on a production issue in our code.

Been there, done that, know how much that sucks. Nothing like debugging under the gun. 🙁

The fellow software dev in me is curious as to what kind of stuff you work on, if you’re willing/able to say without divulging too much. As for me, while I’ve done lots of side work in various areas, my primary industry for the last 20+ years was/is retail, mostly POS.

aspidites
    Participant

I’d love to know the info aspidites! Not sure I could handle a shoot in the snow nor do I know when I’ll finally win the lottery, but would be good info to have.

So they didn’t have any restrictions on using the images? When you sold the shot, was it to a magazine or something like that or do you mean a print sold to someone?

The main trainer is Troy Hyde he runs Animals of Montana with his wife Tracy.
    Website http://www.animalsofmontana.com/
    I have only worked with Troy on the tiger shoot, but his Red Rock shoot in Moab is on the ?to do list?. They were very safety conscious on the shoot. They made sure everyone knew the rules and how to act around the tiger.

Shooting in the snow can be tricky and some of the things I have learned;
    1.Batteries: Lots of batteries and a way to keep them warm. I was duct taping dry chemical hand warmers to the bottom of the battery compartment. With a spare set in my pocket with a hand warmer. 20 below cold will zap your batteries very quickly.

2. Metering: Manual spot meter the snow. Snow in bright light, meter the snow and over expose by 1 and 2/3 stop. Snow in shade, meter the snow and over expose 1 and 1/3 stop. Check your histograms to make sure your whites are not clipping. If you get the snow right everything else should fall into place.

3. Camera: something with a frame rate of 5 FPS or above. Good focus capabilities. I was using an F5 with Provia 100 and a 1DX on this shoot. Now I use a 1D mark II N and a 5D.

4. Lenses: Preferably something that has a f2.8 they tend to focus faster. On a shoot with Troy you shouldn?t need anything over 200mm or 300mm I was using a 100 ? 400 on the F5 and a 70- 200 on the 1DX.

5. Clothing: The warmest, thinnest gloves you can find and heavy duty shells to put on when you aren?t shooting. Did I mention 20 below?

I used a cloth rebreather mask in Yellowstone cause some mornings it was 30- 40 below before we got on the snowmobiles, so add 50 mph wind chill to that. COLD!

The charging tiger was in the Ukrainian edition of Digital Photographer and was the picture that got me the calendar deal.
    The one on my B list was the cover of an Italian scientific textbook and I have sold lots of prints of the tiger.
    There were no restrictions on the pictures. Most of them don’t….You pay them for their services and the accessibility to the animals. The pictures are yours.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I was wondering about that shot, because it looked very familiar in general (not from Farktography). Tigers are my favorite animals.

aspidites
    Participant

I’ve been up all night working on a production issue in our code.

Been there, done that, know how much that sucks. Nothing like debugging under the gun. 🙁

The fellow software dev in me is curious as to what kind of stuff you work on, if you’re willing/able to say without divulging too much. As for me, while I’ve done lots of side work in various areas, my primary industry for the last 20+ years was/is retail, mostly POS.

I have been in the Banking/Insurance side for the last 20. Started on SCO Unix, Mainframe Cobol (IMS,DB2,and CICS), Oracle 10g, now I’m working on MicroStrategy front-ends on a Teradata DB back-end.

Good news is we found a fix. They sent me home to get some rest while they test the fix. The bad news is I get to go back in at 5 tonight until we get the fix in place.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

I’ve always been a PC guy for the most part, but over the years I’ve had to interface to the types of systems you reference. Fortunately, most of the retail world has moved/is moving away from the big iron and into server farms, so no more dealing with arcane communication protocols like SNA and worrying about tying into CICS transactions on the mainframe. Good luck with your fix tonight, hope it all goes smoothly.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 153 total)
  • The topic ‘10-05-11 – Where the Wild Things Are’ is closed to new replies.