10-14-09 – Software Hootennany

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 10-14-09 – Software Hootennany

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 121 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Any and all treatments not normally allowed software-wise are allowed/encouraged for this contest: artsy filters, exposure stacking/HDR, tilt-shift, stitching, etc. NOTE: No pasting or moving subjects not in the original photo(s) like a PS contest.

Thanks to soosh for this theme suggestion! And he almost certainly wins the wordiest theme suggestion evar award. Alas, the site only allows a certain number of chars in that field, so I had to really edit it down. But here’s his original wording so it can be appreciated in its fullest awesome glory:

Software Hootennany: HDR, Holga, Polaroid, LucisArt, Photoshop Filters, Tilt-shift, selective channel-shifting, make your photo look like stained glass, Gypsy shapeshifting. Portuguese Fisherman’s dithered-raster-modulation, Grandmother Bronstein’s Olde-Tyme Iodine Tinting. Everything that’s normally not allowed software-wise is allowed in this contest. You can’t paste in a UFO or Elvis or any visual element that wasn’t in the original photo, and you can’t move elements of the photo around like a Photoshop contest, but any and all treatments you want to slap on your photo are encouraged.

linguine
    Participant

I remember it went back and forth on whether or not we could use past entries in this, did we ever make a final decision on that?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I think we need to leave past entries out of it. It’s already allowing so much other stuff that I don’t see why we’d need to use past entries, too. Certainly everyone can find new stuff to play with?

linguine
    Participant

Thats fine with me, Im not too worried about finding pictures to play with.

clouddancer
    Participant

I’m asking again, as with in Color Popping. I take the pictures, but can my husband do the shooping, or is it okay if he does it under my direction? I’m not really all that good with the filters or anything, but he has da skeelz for said work. Maybe I’ll just borrow his ‘puter for it instead.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I think as long as you took the picture, it should be fine, but especially for this contest, it should probably be under your direction. If you tell him what you want done to a picture you took, I’d be ok with that.

nobigdeal
    Participant

Yay!! Happy Happy Joy Joy!!!!

I can use my Topaz software !!!!

swampa
    Participant

can my husband do the shooping.

Get him to teach you how to do it. That way you too can become a shooping master and be charging your lazors in no time! 😛

clouddancer
    Participant

I’ll get him to install PS (or equivalent) on my ‘puter soon then. I might just have too much fun with it then.

clouddancer
    Participant

As posted in the Color Pop thread, a friend has given me his copy of Photoshop Elements that he doesn’t use so I will be using that and applying such artsy stuff myself and my husband won’t have to do it for me.

olavf
    Participant

W00t! Good luck clouddancer!

justkat
    Participant

I don’t have anything specific in mind, just picking nits… I’m assuming that you can’t *remove* significant elements either? Making that work — even if I wanted to — would be far beyond my PS skillz. 😛

edited to add:

although I suppose it would be *one* way to get my ex-husband off the couch on his days off… *gigglesnort*

justkat
    Participant

I sense a lot of fail on my part in this one. 😛

nobigdeal
    Participant

I sense a lot of fail on my part in this one. 😛

http://www.topazlabs.com/adjust/

Topaz Adjust

Free trial downloads, full function. You can do some pretty neat tricks with just the default settings.

Give it a whirl.

clouddancer
    Participant

Ok, as I’m playing with this, I have to ask. Is it only filter stuff we can do, or are brush strokes allowed? Specifically, the impressionist brush is fun and a few other tools, but I’m still not sure how it will end up yet, so I’m asking.

Also, should we post a link to the original so people can see what we did/where we started from?

Thanks!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 121 total)
  • The topic ‘10-14-09 – Software Hootennany’ is closed to new replies.