10-14-09 – Software Hootennany

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 10-14-09 – Software Hootennany

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 121 total)
  • Author
    clouddancer
    Participant

Thanks, justkat! The selection bit was the hardest part, being careful and using a small enough selector while zoomed in enough to get exactly what I wanted to select without too much of anything else. After that, it was deciding what filters to use. I didn’t really have an end goal in mind of what I wanted it to look like, I just futzed with the filter and their settings to see what I did and didn’t like.

I still haven’t figured out how to make a border type thing where it’s pixelated fading in and out of the picture, soft corners, etc, either fading to black or coming in from white. I did it once in one picture and haven’t duplicated it since.

I got some neat fresh tomato shots the other day that seem to be begging to be played with, but we’ll see where they end up.

justkat
    Participant

Bucky – I really like that chair picture. Very much. 🙂

justkat
    Participant

Thanks, justkat! The selection bit was the hardest part, being careful and using a small enough selector while zoomed in enough to get exactly what I wanted to select without too much of anything else. After that, it was deciding what filters to use. I didn’t really have an end goal in mind of what I wanted it to look like, I just futzed with the filter and their settings to see what I did and didn’t like.

I still haven’t figured out how to make a border type thing where it’s pixelated fading in and out of the picture, soft corners, etc, either fading to black or coming in from white. I did it once in one picture and haven’t duplicated it since.

I got some neat fresh tomato shots the other day that seem to be begging to be played with, but we’ll see where they end up.

Well you are really on your way, that’s for sure! Just messing around is the best way to learn. I had to learn on the fly for this contest too; I’d never used any of the program’s features other than the basic lighting/color/sizing type stuff… well a few other things, but the stuff I did this week was pretty much all new to me too. 🙂

Get your tomato pix looking as nice as you like them and then make a .txt file in the folder with the pictures saying what they are, keywords, whatever so that when the time comes that you need awesome tomato pictures and you can’t remember when you took them, you can search your computer.

/we keep meaning to implement this cunning plan… I think I have about 2% done… 😯

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I actually had some “B” sides this week. I didn’t make my finall decision until after the contest was posted:

“Cloned”: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lady_elsinore/4010723766/
    “Wicked”: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lady_elsinore/3186060265/in/set-72157612030339472/
    “Rusting in the Fields”: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lady_elsinore/273416859/

I wanted to do some new HDR, and possibly some stitched stuff, too, but something’s up with the program I was using to assemble my HDR’s. Ah well, some other time…

orionid
    Participant

I forced myself to take an artistic night tonight, real world be-damned. Not expecting much, but at least composing the bachelor pad was fun. Too bad I couldn’t get the hands to line up quite right where I tried to arm wrestle myself.

justkat
    Participant

i just posted in the thread to this effect, but: that’s a helluva job you did there. 🙂

orionid
    Participant

Thanks. I had the inklings of the idea a few days ago, but it was Elsinore‘s and NBD‘s shots (when uploaded to facebook) that prompted me to act.

Kestrana
    Participant

I was going to spoof Warhol’s Marilyn diptych, but it turns out I have no idea how to do that. I’ve gotta get a factory full of artists to translate my high brow ideas into finished art. Being a genius is rough.

Photobucket has a filter that automatically makes a diptych ala Warhol when you edit an uploaded photo.

And orionid I also second the kudos.

olavf
    Participant

I forced myself to take an artistic night tonight, real world be-damned. Not expecting much, but at least composing the bachelor pad was fun. Too bad I couldn’t get the hands to line up quite right where I tried to arm wrestle myself.

It was fun doing stuffs, but I had a helluva time getting my head even remotely around it. I mean, I generally shoot for minimal editing of my stuff.

swampa
    Participant

Sorry to bug you Elsinore,

Can you please rescue my 2009-10-14 08:04:06 PM photo?

Thanks

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Got it.

bucky_bacon
    Participant

Bucky – I really like that chair picture. Very much. 🙂

Thanks! Long story… but I almost didn’t enter it. I had two pics uploaded and had to lug my pc w/ me to another state to post em. When I hooked it up I decided to whip together another quick entry. So yeah… thanks!

justkat
    Participant

clouddancer – you probably noticed your TF subscription ran out. Are you going to join us on your own now? mwahahahaha… 😉

bucky- you’re welcome, of course =)

clouddancer
    Participant

I did notice the TF ran out. I do plan on renewing it, and will next Friday. We tend to run our paychecks rather close to the wire, and currently there is $12 sitting in my account right now that’s going for milk/veggies we’ll need before pay day on Friday. On the flip side, I was told to purchase a photo tent this paychecck, which I did. I think that could override TF for now :). I picked up this one: http://www.amazon.com/CowboyStudio-Table-Photo-Studio-Light/dp/B001MYGCVY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1255810954&sr=8-1-spell It was only $4 more than the Thinkgeek one and was $22 less than from Cowboystudio directly so I was given the go ahead. Everything came neatly folded up so the backgrounds have creases, but that’s easy enough to fix. There’s a thing for the front too with a zipper that I’m guessing can be used for reflective things where you wouldn’t want the camera showing. I did like having TF (thank you for getting me hooked) and on the 23rd when I get paid again I will be back in.

The bad thing about working from home is that when something like that arrives at your door and you want to take it all out and play with it and such, that it really cuts into your time. hehe. It is, however, setup on the mondo-sized desk that Hubby made for me (picture and post about that on my blog) and I have already used it. The lights are *BrIghT*. It’s a good thing we didn’t look directly into them because we’d be blind!

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Congrats to U-Man this week!

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 121 total)
  • The topic ‘10-14-09 – Software Hootennany’ is closed to new replies.