10-14-09 – Software Hootennany

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 10-14-09 – Software Hootennany

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 121 total)
  • Author
    Curious
    Participant

re linking, i think just one of mine will have a link to the original. of the other two in one the “trick” is pretty standard although i like how it turned out and the other is pretty obviously not how the subject looks in real life.

olavf
    Participant

I completely spaced out last night and didn’t put scaled originals in my web folder, so unfortunately no linking from me either. I think all three it’s pretty easy to tell what’s going on, and I put together a one-liner at the bottom of each of my posts instead. The only pic that really needed it to appreciate what was done I decided was a B-side anyhow.

staplermofo
    Participant

I was going to spoof Warhol’s Marilyn diptych, but it turns out I have no idea how to do that. I’ve gotta get a factory full of artists to translate my high brow ideas into finished art. Being a genius is rough.

QueenBee
    Participant

so we can’t add things to the image, but can we take out? say I just want a plain background so the subject stands out more, is that allowed?

clouddancer
    Participant

I was kind of wondering something like that. One of the filter options I wanted to play with was Glowing Edges and that removed a LOT of color made it black with some outlines of things in various colors. I think it looks cool, but it would still effectively be removing things. I ended up going with something else and not using it, but now I’m wondering.

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

so we can’t add things to the image, but can we take out? say I just want a plain background so the subject stands out more, is that allowed?

My understanding is that you can effectively “add things” by stacking photos together and select the parts of each you want visible by cutting things out (or making them transparent) from top images to show parts of the ones underneath. So what you’re talking about, taking content out of the image, is the same thing. The only difference is that you don’t have another image underneath you’re trying to partially expose. So that area would just be a solid color instead.

Or you could put another image behind the primary one with a background you would like to see. As long as you took both photos and you aren’t moving the elements of each image around relative to the rest of the photo I think it’s within the rules.

If that doesn’t make any sense to anyone (but me!) 🙂 then have a look at this image I made for the contest. The original sources are in the gallery as well.

Sailboarding

Curious
    Participant

My understanding is that you can effectively “add things” by stacking photos together and select the parts of each you want visible by cutting things out (or making them transparent) from top images to show parts of the ones underneath.

to me that’s photoshopping.

this image was rotated and cropped. http://www.davesweblife.com/images/stuff%20for%20friends/lizard.jpg

this image had everything but the boy made transparent (in essence i selected only the boy) using the magnetic lasso. http://www.davesweblife.com/images/stuff%20for%20friends/small-boy.jpg

and then i placed the boy on the lizard resulting in this. http://www.davesweblife.com/images/stuff%20for%20friends/boy%20with%20lizard.jpg

now i took both those shots and stacked them using photoshop but don’t think i could enter them tonight.

and please no comments on the crappy cutout work. it was a quick and real dirty for a friend.

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

I’m fine with any interpretation of the rules. So if selective multiple exposures (some areas partially transparent and some completely transparent) are overkill then I’ll skip posting the ones I did that way. I just got the impression that combining photos was OK for this . If someone can clarify before the contest goes live that would be great.

nobigdeal
    Participant

I’m fine with any interpretation of the rules. So if selective multiple exposures (some areas partially transparent and some completely transparent) are overkill then I’ll skip posting the ones I did that way. I just got the impression that combining photos was OK for this . If someone can clarify before the contest goes live that would be great.

We discussed this earlier and it’s ok.

It’s basically anything goes software and manipulation wise. As long as you took all elements of the photos.

Curious
    Participant

if that’s the rules for tonight then i misunderstood and will have very simple entries. not the first time 🙂

and given my archives i could have gone nuts with my photos and photoshop. which i really need to practice with anyway.

Elsinore
    Keymaster
    clouddancer
    Participant

I *might* put in another one tomorrow or something. If I decide against it, I’m still okay with my 2 entries. I also have lots of music related things to decided on shooting anyway.

thepostess
    Participant

Nevermind, thanks Elsinore.

justkat
    Participant

clouddancer – you did all that yourself? hubby can retire, you can has skillz! 😀

olavf
    Participant
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 121 total)
  • The topic ‘10-14-09 – Software Hootennany’ is closed to new replies.