10-27-10 – He’s a Fun Guy

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 10-27-10 – He’s a Fun Guy

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 112 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Whoa sweet! Congrats to all ya’ll 🙂

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

Here’s my b-side. I took it last spring, well before I know about this contest.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21883298@N08/4360844638/in/set-72157623318055537/

the one with the grass, I took when I got home from work, it was just sitting in the front yard….almost asking to be photographed. Talk about cutting it close.

clouddancer
    Participant

Can’t wait to see all these. 🙂

Kestrana
    Participant

Gratz Mopsy! That’s truly amazing this day and age. And I think I speak for orionid when I say we plan to live forever. We have a lot of shiat to do.

justkat
    Participant

Gratz Mopsy! That’s truly amazing this day and age. And I think I speak for orionid when I say we plan to live forever. We have a lot of shiat to do.

Well said.

ravnostic
    Participant

Is it too early yet for the b’s?

http://fossilspringsaz.com/pics/2010/oct/27/bees.html

I found it remarkable how often lichenscapes looked much like undersea scapes. But ultimately, I wanted more variety than just lichen.

I think your Darlot lens amplifies the effect. The edge distortion is similar to the distortion caused by off-center water in underwater point and shoots.

Probably true. The distortion is worse when utilized at my highest possible magnification (about 1.2 cms across), of which many of those shots were taken.

lokisbong
    Participant

ok I wont keep bitchin on Fark but why can I not get it to a down loadable size. the actual large size is half the size it started and I lost maybe 10 kb on the postable sizes. Until a few weeks ago I was on the cheap at Flickr and didn’t have the option of uploading 2 files for every entry. I guess I am gonna have to start double uploading to flickr so this doesn’t drive me to put a fist through something like I wanted to tonight.
    Edited to finish my rant.

SilverStag
    Participant

I found this one too late for the contest:

Weird Roots by pjern, on Flickr

lokisbong
    Participant

That’s an awesome shot!

Elsinore
    Keymaster

ok I wont keep bitchin on Fark but why can I not get it to a down loadable size. the actual large size is half the size it started and I lost maybe 10 kb on the postable sizes. Until a few weeks ago I was on the cheap at Flickr and didn’t have the option of uploading 2 files for every entry. I guess I am gonna have to start double uploading to flickr so this doesn’t drive me to put a fist through something like I wanted to tonight.
    Edited to finish my rant.

Don’t use the large size from Flickr. Anything other than original size has file size bloat because Flickr is resizing/recompressing at high quality to generate the smaller sizes (even if the “large” size is the same pixel size as the original). Always use the original size option because that isn’t recompressed.

lokisbong
    Participant

I must be kinda dense this week. So you mean I have to upload a 640 by 480 version for the contest? I realize I have the unlimited option now but I wish I didn’t have to do that. I kinda like for people to see the large size and at the same time was trying to not have duplicates of half my pictures.

lokisbong
    Participant

I guess ole Snakeytongue didn’t read the rules. his 2010-10-28 10:27:34 AM says it is an hdr image.

nobigdeal
    Participant

I must be kinda dense this week. So you mean I have to upload a 640 by 480 version for the contest? I realize I have the unlimited option now but I wish I didn’t have to do that. I kinda like for people to see the large size and at the same time was trying to not have duplicates of half my pictures.

The pixel dimensions don’t matter, Fark will resize as needed to 640. It’s the kb size you have to worry about. Keep your originals under 200kb preferably under 150 to be sure and upload the ORIGINAL size from flikr otherwise their compression makes the file too heavy for Fark

lokisbong
    Participant

so how do I reduce the file size on this to make it work in Fark?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lokisbongs-pictures/5121996431/sizes/o/
    this is the picture I was fighting with last night.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

so how do I reduce the file size on this to make it work in Fark?

There is a lot of software that will do that for you, but I’ll only talk about the two that I use and know:

1) I’m pretty sure I remember you saying you have a Canon Rebel, right? If so, you can use Canon’s DPP software. Just open the image, choose Convert and Save, and set the JPEG quality all the way down to 1. In most software when you do this, the quality really stinks, but DPP makes nice looking images even at its lowest quality setting (which is necessarily to get the file sized small enough). You can also optionally resize it at this time.

2) Method #1 is what I use most of the time. However, sometimes even at the 1 quality setting the file is still too large. In this case, I save it with a quality of 9 and then load it into Paint.NET. When you save it in Paint.NET, you can choose a quality percentage and it will show you the calculated file size, so just adjust until you get it below the threshold. It creates much smaller files than DPP, but at a small bit of quality sacrifice, which is why I don’t use it unless I have to. Oh, and it’s also free.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 112 total)
  • The topic ‘10-27-10 – He’s a Fun Guy’ is closed to new replies.