10-4-06 – Style

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 132 total)
  • Author
    veruca
    Participant

Style. Take a picture with a pronounced photographic style. It could be your own style, or an imitation of a more famous photographer’s, or even just any old strong theme, in any event, it should scream _____.
    Submitted by staplermofo.

Claff
    Participant

I, uh, don’t get it.

linguine
    Participant

I have to second claff here, by any old strong theme are you just saying that we could do something like submit 3 landscape or night shots?

idle_hands
    Participant

i take it to mean it should scream: Andre Kertesz, Robert Mapplethorpe, Ansel Adams, Cindy Sherman, Henri Cartier-Bresson, Diane Arbus, or any of a 100 or so others

Claff
    Participant

I, uh, don’t recognize most of those names, and the ones I do, I couldn’t look at a pic and say “hey that looks like Andre Kertesz’ work”.

This should come as no surprise considering it is me we’re talking about.

I’d like to shoot something like Richard Fegley would, but the wife won’t go for it.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I’m seriously intrigued by this one, and currently researching different photographers, their subjects, their styles, etc. Of course I’m also a big nerd…

But regardless, I plan to put the style I was going for in my entry, partly because I’m not fully confident I can pull something off and make it obvious enough, but mostly because I think it’d be interesting information, especially if others would do the same. Maybe even a bit educational to see different interpretations of a photographer’s style (I’m sure there will be some duplication of the big names…)

mikemikeb
    Participant

I, uh, don’t get it.

I have to second claff here

i take it to mean it should scream: Andre Kertesz, Robert Mapplethorpe, Ansel Adams, Cindy Sherman, Henri Cartier-Bresson, Diane Arbus, or any of a 100 or so others

I, uh, don’t recognize most of those names, and the ones I do, I couldn’t look at a pic and say “hey that looks like Andre Kertesz’ work”.

Me, too, Claff. And the same would apply to most all Fark voters…

I’d like to shoot something like Richard Fegley would, but the wife won’t go for it.

I’m seriously intrigued by this one, and currently researching different photographers, their subjects, their styles, etc.

Don’t you all understand? This is part of staplermofo‘s mission to confuse you so you’ll submit crap photos, all so he can run the table with his (no doubt already-taken) stapler orgy photo. Don’t fall for it!

For me, I plan on submitting three photos that represent four of my personal styles (one of then will have to represent two styles — I should be OK, though). I suppose you can do that with your own submissions — don’t you all have a personal style or four?

P.S. I have a fifth personal style, but I unfortunately can’t fit it in with the four others at this time and hold to the three-photo limit. Sorry, everybody!

Claff
    Participant

My personal style is race cars on a race track. Not exactly photo contest material but that never stopped me before.

staplermofo
    Participant

Don’t you all understand? This is part of staplermofo‘s mission to confuse you so you’ll submit crap photos, all so he can run the table with his (no doubt already-taken) stapler orgy photo. Don’t fall for it!

*hits mikemikeb with a blackjack, shoves him in a duffel bag, runs to his car, throws him in the trunk, runs back, hopes no one saw anything*

i take it to mean it should scream: Andre Kertesz, Robert Mapplethorpe, Ansel Adams …

Please, oh please don’t anybody imitate Mapplethorpe!

But seriously, I would love to see a lot of long exposure shots, surrealism, minimalism, etc. Not necessarily some individual artist’s style, but a strong representation of an artistic philosophy or technique.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

For me, I plan on submitting three photos that represent four of my personal styles (one of then will have to represent two styles — I should be OK, though). I suppose you can do that with your own submissions — don’t you all have a personal style or four?

P.S. I have a fifth personal style, but I unfortunately can’t fit it in with the four others at this time and hold to the three-photo limit. Sorry, everybody!

Actually, that’s sort of my plan. 1 or 2 of the photos will be my own style(s) and the remainder will be someone else’s. I have 2 sort of distinct styles, so the rest depends on what I can pull off of someone else’s.

schnee
    Participant

How to Establish a Personal Photographic Style from Luminous Landscapes is pretty good. I thought I found something on Wikipedia, but I’ve since lost it.

/me, I got no style

Elsinore
    Keymaster
    mikemikeb
    Participant

*hits mikemikeb with a blackjack, shoves him in a duffel bag, runs to his car, throws him in the trunk, runs back, hopes no one saw anything*

I qot sum brain damage, but Im still alive!

Wouldn’t yu hate t if I was prophetic nd that orgy phot got out? Pepule would laud me not u!

logomancer
    Participant

Yo, stapla, you might want to trade me some votes tonight for a certain photo or two I may or may not have taken a few nights back in the shadows of the west wing of a certain parking garage off of Lake Shore Drive…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 132 total)
  • The topic ‘10-4-06 – Style’ is closed to new replies.