10-4-06 – Style

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 132 total)
  • Author
    CaptainJim
    Participant

The style That I usually sell is highly layered. Is this permissible for this contest.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Actually I was wondering that myself. Some film styles could be emulated in digital, but probably would need heavy photo editing work. I’d hate for it to just become a PS contest, but I’m also wondering if relaxing the rules a bit for this one might make sense…

veruca
    Participant

sure, i don’t see why not. it makes sense for the topic.

CaptainJim
    Participant

I’d hate for it to just become a PS contest, but I’m also wondering if relaxing the rules a bit for this one might make sense…

I don’t think it will become a photoshop contest but lets admit it, If you want to emulate Ansel Adams you have to dodge and burn because that is what he did. He would spend months making image after image each a little different.

Should we put a small image of what atrist we are trying to copy above or below our submission?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I don’t think it will become a photoshop contest but lets admit it, If you want to emulate Ansel Adams you have to dodge and burn because that is what he did. He would spend months making image after image each a little different.

agreed…

Should we put a small image of what atrist we are trying to copy above or below our submission?

Depending on who or what specific style I end up emulating (haven’t fully decided yet), I’d thought of including a link or something like to online galleries.

U-Man
    Participant

Hi Guys (and gals), as you know, I’m new to this Farktography thing. I am very much an amateur photographer and, as such, know next to nothing about “style”. The only name that I recognized from idle_hands’ list was Ansel Adams. While I mainly take snapshots of my girls and their cousins, I will intermittently venture out into the world with my camera to take ‘artsy’ pictures. I like the way the world looks through the lens. I get that “wow, that’s a beautiful rusty nail” feeling.

But style! I’ve got no style that isn’t my own. Do you think it would be OK to submit a few pics that reflect my style (whatever that is) without having them based on another’s work? Or should I just hold on to them until they fit another weeks’ topic?

By the way, this is alot of fun. As with many people, I’m busier than I should be and find it rewarding to think and do something that isn’t work or family.

logomancer
    Participant

I think this style theme is a great idea, but definitely will stress some folks. I’m guessing that would should relax the criteria for this one, allow post-processing that wouldn’t otherwise pass muster – might as well let people traipse a little toward that shadow world of graphic design that covers just over the horizon and follow highly stylized photographers, too. Not that I’m worthy of being emulated in the least, but if, say, a friend of mine wanted to copy the style of many of the photos on my own website – the more public side of my work – they wouldn’t be able to under the normal rules, nor would they be able to for more legit folks such as wedding photographers who touch up their photos and add postprocessing effects that wouldn’t be permissible under the farktog rules. So to generalize and head off conflict, I say we allow for anything goes, except for the normal bright line stuff – copyright, three entries, etc. What say you?

CaptainJim
    Participant

But style! I’ve got no style that isn’t my own. Do you think it would be OK to submit a few pics that reflect my style (whatever that is) without having them based on another’s work? Or should I just hold on to them until they fit another weeks’ topic?

I’m sure that will be OK but you could also look through this link and see if anything inspires you.
    http://dir.yahoo.com/Arts/Visual_Arts/Photography/Photographers/Masters/

Don’t sweat things around here it’s not worth it and you will go crazy. Everyone here is pretty laid back and will certainly cut you some slack if you are not a photography major as most of us aren’t.
    I’m just happy that this little site has inspired people such as yourself to take photos and share them.

mikemikeb
    Participant

Do you think it would be OK to submit a few pics that reflect my style (whatever that is) without having them based on another’s work?

That’s exactly what I’m going to do.

veruca
    Participant

i agree with what CaptainJim said – don’t stress! the description mentions that you can go with your own style so definitely do what makes you feel comfortable. just go with your gut 🙂

logomancer
    Participant

Do you think it would be OK to submit a few pics that reflect my style (whatever that is) without having them based on another’s work?

That’s exactly what I’m going to do.

Unless I get to do some learnin’ real quick, I think I’m going to submit logomancer-style. Step back, folks…

And, hey, shouldn’t you be in a duffel bag somewhere? Not that I saw anything…

PS: Happy autumn (more or less) everyone!

PPS: How come the html doesn’t kick in? How does one post imgs here?

mikemikeb
    Participant

Unless I get to do some learnin’ real quick, I think I’m going to submit logomancer-style. Step back, folks…

What, possibly breaking the rules with those black (or semitransparent) bars? 😉

Oh, and on an semi-unrelated note, here’s a little more of a teaser for my own photos: They aren’t general snapshots (well, maybe one of them is, though I’m planning to crop it into shape), but specific and targeted styles that I do from time to time. You’re going to see a side of one Mike Ball that you’ve never seen before…

PPS: How come the html doesn’t kick in? How does one post imgs here?

Unfotunately, you’re doing it wrong: With phpbb and that photo, you need to type in: “[img]http://undergroundbastard.com/ms/web.IMG_4443crop.jpg[/img]” (just copy and paste that; you’ll be fine without the bold in the “img” sections) and you’re good to go.

That said, here’s the image you wanted to display:

P.S. With your image as is, I have to pixel peep to the bottom left to see an obvious black border, so the effect’s rather worthless.

anneb
    Participant

Actually I was wondering that myself. Some film styles could be emulated in digital, but probably would need heavy photo editing work. I’d hate for it to just become a PS contest, but I’m also wondering if relaxing the rules a bit for this one might make sense…

Should one interpret “with as little alteration as possible” to fit how much alteration was done in the original photographer’s style?

Depending on the style, it may not be like the orignial stylist took their shot straight out of the camera, either- or Adams would have, instead, published his famous Wallet-Sized Reference Card, “The Print.” (Included free, no doubt, in the liner notes of his longer, bound works…) I’d think I’d want to do some extra work on skies, etc. if I were trying to do his style than I would do for my own.

Then again, if I were shooting “in the style of a Washington Post photographer,” it’d be pretty much no Post-Processing, just about all of it camera angle.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

anneb: I’d think for this contest you just want to capture the style/essence/appearance with your final result, whether that requires digital manipulation or not.

As for my submissions, I’m probably going to enter 1 or 2 that demonstrate my own style and the remainder of someone else’s. Of course, my personal style probably fits into a style or styles that have already been categorized, but there ya go.

I’d thought of doing Ansel Adams for one of mine; I have a boatload of Yosemite pics from my honeymoon. But alas, they were all shot with a crappy 35mm point and shoot camera, and the resolution of the (almost certainly plastic) lens would make Adams spin in his grave and surely bring down a good and proper smiting from the photography gods….

So yeah, back to the drawing board for me 😉

mikemikeb
    Participant

I’d think I’d want to do some extra work on skies, etc. if I were trying to do his style than I would do for my own.

Then again, if I were shooting “in the style of a Washington Post photographer,” it’d be pretty much no Post-Processing, just about all of it camera angle.

You bring up a good point with this contest, as it may be quite difficult for an otherwise successful Farktographer to get in a high-vote entry because of the demands of the contest. When a person sees a photo, they’ll probably be trying to answer how it fits a style. But: What constitutes “style”? Is it supposed to emulate somebody? Anybody? If not, then how does it fit a cliche “style”, like “Trees”, “Birds”, or “Trains”? Are such things stylistic enough? It may be a technically good photo, but it doesn’t obviously fit a style, so why vote for it? Point is, photo selection may need to be very philosophical this week to get a good total.

Note that staplermofo said that the photo “should scream ____”, with my emphasis on “scream”. The winner of this contest will probably post a photo that when people come to judge it, they’ll take one look at it and immediately think, “OK, that’s supposed to be of ‘X'”. That’ll be easier done than said for staplermofo, as he’s the best in the business with photographing staplers (which is an obvious style), and all of his three submissions will no doubt be of them. I have the impression that it’ll be him versus chakalakasp going for no. 1, with chaka running away with it — if he chooses wisely. For other submitters? I don’t know. Just in case, I’ve selected three photos (actually I’m wavering between two candidates on the third one) that I hope will have people thinking, “[Intended style]” without a beat.

Because of this odd kind of mentality involved in this contest, I wouldn’t be surprised if the winner has an obscenely high total (say, around 80), and tenth place would have something like 15 votes. Nor would I be surprised if an unknown does very well (perhaps we could have a few one-hit wonders), or if a photo that would normally rank in the middle of the pack end up as a shockingly high vote-getter because it “screams” something in a way that wouldn’t deserve a vote otherwise (if this kind of situation could exist).

This should be one heck of a contest, and could become one of the all-time greats.

(Now that I think about it, the more I think about chakalakasp and what he may enter, the more me entering to win is pointless…)

But alas, they were all shot with a crappy 35mm point and shoot camera, and the resolution of the (almost certainly plastic) lens would make Adams spin in his grave

Nor will a technically brilliant but soulless photo win.

Oh, and speaking of wins, congratulations on your “Cute Kids” contest victory! No need for a recount, as you ran away with the title this time…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 132 total)
  • The topic ‘10-4-06 – Style’ is closed to new replies.