11-02-11 – State Fair

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 11-02-11 – State Fair

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    Yugoboy
    Participant

Hey, would a shirt with the words “METAL AS FUCK” on it be SFW? Or would I have to blur & link?

I can’t answer that question.

But I can ask one… where can I get that shirt?

want want want…

lokisbong
    Participant

I’ve seen pictures with stuff that eloquent on Fark before with no blurring but not in a Farktography contest. I would probably blur and link just in case the mods that be don’t like it but I am not sure on the letter of the law.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Just how closely are we going to call the “clearly show it was at the fair” thing? This summer, I spent a hot humid evening at the fair with my girls (Mom was smart and stayed home :)) and brought a Canon and a 50 mm. I took some portraits of the carnies. With some, you can’t tell at all that I am at the fair. With others, you can sort of tell but it isn’t clear.

Would a carnie portrait with blurred neon be OK? Like this – http://photos.imageevent.com/ulle17/fark/carnie_3822t.jpg

How about a carnie with an essentially featureless setting? Like this – http://photos.imageevent.com/ulle17/fark/carnie_3656c.jpg

I think the first one is perfect. The second one does not at all say “fair” to me.

I think if you labled it “Carnie” or gave a quick two-line backstory, it’d be fine. But that’s just opinion, not an official ruling.

I think at that point you’re rationalizing/selling the photo rather than the photo speaking for itself. The description says the photo should “clearly” show it was taken at a fair. IMO, if the photo’s setting is so featureless that you have to explain it, then it isn’t “clearly” showing that it was taken at a fair.

Hey, would a shirt with the words “METAL AS FUCK” on it be SFW? Or would I have to blur & link?

That would be NSFW/NSFF and would need to be blurred and linked. Basically any word subject to the Fark filters should be avoided in photos.

In other news: Something has come up and I will not be around this evening, possibly until after the thread goes green. Would someone be able/willing to post OBO for me? I think this is the first time I’ve ever done that 😳 😆 Also, since I won’t be around, if there is something that needs to be addressed immediately/before the thread goes live, you guys will need to send a Farkback. I’ll also see if some of the other mods can look in on the thread during the evening. Also also wik, I’ll get some more hoppered themes up on the schedule before I leave this afternoon.

U-Man
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback, Elsinore. Rather than post a blurred out pic, I’ll just leave this here… http://photos.imageevent.com/ulle17/fark/metal_3848b.jpg

Also, I can post OBO for you. Can you e-mail me links?

Anything in particular I can help with tonight?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

roflmao that shirt is awesome!!

Appreciate the OBO offer. I’ve got a message into Kestrana to see if she can post Boobies (Morningbreath is unable to thanks to all that snow on the East Coast, but I’m not sure if Kestrana isn’t in the same situation). Maybe I’ll post the Boobies post here (if I can get the code to block out right) just in case…

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Link:
    http://www.farktography.net/index.php?module=ftControl&func=display&type=user&contestID=340
    Headline:
    Theme of Farktography Contest No. 339: ?State Fair?. Details and rules in first post. LGT next week’s theme.
    Topic: Farktography
    Source: Farktography
    Link type: Contests
    ***Enable Voting***

Boobies post itself:

Welcome to Farktography!

This Week's Theme: "State Fair"

Description: A picture taken at the State Fair (county fairs, etc. count too). The picture should clearly show that it was taken at the fair and not a tractor dealership, farm or petting zoo. Difficulty: no country music acts/shows.

We ask that before submitting your photos you read and adhere to the following submission rules, including but not limited to the following:

- Submissions must be photographs; screen captures do not count as photographs.
    - You must be the original photographer of your entry. Do not submit anyone else's photography as your own.
    - You are only allowed to enter a photograph once. Do not submit the same photo to another contest later.
    - You may enter 3 photos in each contest as long as each photo is of a different composition.
    - Please post each photo separately so they can be voted for individually.

Please note:

The overarching ideal behind Farktography is that image corrections are acceptable, while adding or removing elements in the image (e.g. removing telephone poles, adding Elvis) is not acceptable. HDR, stitching, or otherwise combining exposures in post processing are not allowed unless specified for a particular theme (multiple exposures done in-camera are acceptable, however). See the rules for more information on acceptable modifications, or check in at the Farktography Forums.

Legal: All photographers submitting photos to this contest are the legal copyright holders for the photos submitted and the photos are not to be considered free for any other use without written consent from the submitting photographers.

- Drop by the Farktography Forum on Fark (new window) or Farktography.net (for chatting, critique, techtalk and so on)

- Stats can be found here.

- Image hosting sites can be found here.

Kestrana is my current fall back, but if she’s unable to post, anyone can do it, just make sure it’s only one of you 😉 Sorry to leave you guys like this–hopefully I’ll be home by midnight or 1am and can clean up anything that needs cleaning up.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Also: U-Man–I emailed the acct listed on your FB

Also also wik: I will have access to my FB, because it texts my phone, so if anyone needs to get a hold of me this evening, you can message me there.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Also also also wik: Zeke has a copy of the boobies, so if no one else can post, he can.

linguine
    Participant

I’ll be around to be a backup for the boobies if kestrana isnt around.

U-Man
    Participant

Elsinore, I got nothin’ in my email. Did you send to the ******@cirarad.com address?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Yep that was the one, though occasionally I have issues with my emails getting blocked as spa. If it doesn’t come through in the next hour, I’ll have zeke post

U-Man
    Participant

OK! OK! You don’t have to keep telling me again and again.

(for context – there was a glitch in the internets and four copies of Elsinore’s message were initially here. Either that or I was hallucinating.)

Farktographer
    Participant

Having a hard time with some last-minute decisions. Anyone have some tips? I’m split between these two for time-lapse:

1. http://www.flickr.com/photos/ilpadrino03/5964367062/
    2. http://www.flickr.com/photos/ilpadrino03/5963811383/

And I like this one’s motion and colour, but the more I look at it, the more it seems it doesn’t tell enough of the surroundings:
    3. http://www.flickr.com/photos/ilpadrino03/5963781465/

Any thoughts?

Kestrana
    Participant

I’m going to post the boobies tonight and also clean up the spam…

Kestrana
    Participant

Fortunately Virginia only got the lightest of dustings from that storm, otherwise there would have been mass hysteria. I couldn’t figure out why people at work were talking about calling in over the weekend when they predicted light snow until I remembered this is one of those states that freaks out over an inch or less even though they get snow almost every year.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 70 total)
  • The topic ‘11-02-11 – State Fair’ is closed to new replies.