11-02-11 – State Fair

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 11-02-11 – State Fair

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

A picture taken at the State Fair (county fairs, etc. count too). The picture should clearly show that it was taken at the fair and not a tractor dealership, farm or petting zoo. Difficulty: no country music acts/shows.

Thanks to Pope_Larry_II for the theme suggestion!

bender16v
    Participant

I’m really looking forward to seeing the entries in this one but I haven’t been to a fair for many years and they are all done for the year up here in Michigan. I don’t know if it is open to the public, but would photos from the empty fairgrounds qualify?

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

Iwanttoo… The intent was to take pictures of the stuff that goes on at the fair; rides, horse shows, exhibitions, etc. I may be difficult to convey that idea with pictures of buildings.

Yoyo
    Participant

I didn’t make it to the fair this year, but I think I’ve got some good ones from past years.

Yugoboy
    Participant

The “clearly show it’s from a fair” caveat now concerns me. I had forgotten that when I was at the fair this year. I want to use at least one animal close-up (there was a rooster giving me the serious stink-eye… really good look) You can see the bars, but that’s pretty much the only clue. Do I need to go with some other series from that trip?

Kestrana
    Participant

In general we want themes to be as friendly and open as possible. I think that caveat was to discourage people from posting pictures from amusement parks, zoos and monster truck rallys, etc.

Yugoboy
    Participant

In general we want themes to be as friendly and open as possible. I think that caveat was to discourage people from posting pictures from amusement parks, zoos and monster truck rallys, etc.

Thanx.

I have a couple that are obviously from the fair (there was a fried foods cart that was so blatant I couldn’t help myself… it may be included) but some of my better ones are close-ups of the animals.

gambitsgirl
    Participant

The only fair I’m gong to is the Renn Faire and I haven’t been to one in 20 years. I’m eager to see what people come up with.

Plamadude30k
    Participant

I have zero fair/festival shots in my archive-not even anything that could be construed vaguely as such-and I’m pretty sure there isn’t one on the island before the contest goes live. Think I’ll sit this one out. Good luck everybody!

olavf
    Participant

gambitsgirl as far as I remember, there’s no Country (or Western!) music at Ren Faires. Personally I would allow that under ‘etc’

plama bah- you’ve got to have something! 😉

Plamadude30k
    Participant

I looked, I got nothin. I don’t really like fairs and similar events, so I tend to not go. The last thing I went to that would count would have been the Tucson Celtic Festival about four years ago, but I didn’t bring my camera (my hands were full of instruments-I managed to win the amateur music competition, tho).

orionid
    Participant

make some homemade corndogs and deep fried anything. Set your monitor up with a photo of neon lights. f/1.2, go!

gambitsgirl
    Participant

gambitsgirl as far as I remember, there’s no Country (or Western!) music at Ren Faires. Personally I would allow that under ‘etc’

Even if it were allowed I’d have to go this weekend and that’s out. I think Renn Faire photos would be a fun assignment in the future (no clue if it’s been done). I so love the Renn Faire 😀 😀

ravnostic
    Participant

At our Renfest, they have old-school (or seemingly so at least) carnival rides–a giant Trojan Swing Horse, these rubberband contraption things with trampolines that people bounce on, and a couple kiddie rides. Wish I had some pictures, but haven’t been in a while.

Since I gambled that everyone’s going to bring their game, I used one good pic for ‘That’s no moon’ (which was worth it–it wouldn’t have done as well against others of the same ilk), I only have one picture that I hope will do well. Then I have a whole buncha b’s from which to find some A’s, or B+’s at least.

aspidites
    Participant

At our Renfest, they have old-school (or seemingly so at least) carnival rides–a giant Trojan Swing Horse, these rubberband contraption things with trampolines that people bounce on, and a couple kiddie rides. Wish I had some pictures, but haven’t been in a while.

Since I gambled that everyone’s going to bring their game, I used one good pic for ‘That’s no moon’ (which was worth it–it wouldn’t have done as well against others of the same ilk), I only have one picture that I hope will do well. Then I have a whole buncha b’s from which to find some A’s, or B+’s at least.

I’m in the same situation with this theme that I was with the graves theme. Maybe 3 pictures to chose from, at least with the state fair my twisted sense of humor won’t be involved and my GF won’t be calling me an asshole. I’m not figuring to do any better with this one either. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 70 total)
  • The topic ‘11-02-11 – State Fair’ is closed to new replies.