11-09-11 – Purely Film

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 11-09-11 – Purely Film

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 105 total)
  • Author
    Pope_Larry_II
    Participant
    U-Man
    Participant

Some archive mining bees –

http://photos.imageevent.com/ulle17/fark/scan0007.jpg
    http://photos.imageevent.com/ulle17/fark/scan0001.jpg
    http://photos.imageevent.com/ulle17/fark/l-08.jpg
    http://photos.imageevent.com/ulle17/fark/Duchess.jpg

The kid pics are all with a P&S 35 mm ShurShot. The Golf Digest one wasn’t set up.
    The doggie pic is from high school (mid 80’s) with my AE-1. I’m pretty sure that the print is that old too.

gambitsgirl
    Participant

ya know, I always SWORE I would NEVER EVER EVER change from film to digital (I also swore I’d never do those mp3 thingys). Seeing this contest and what’s posted and the quality difference is AMAZING. And soon enough there’s going to be something I’m going to refuse to give up and learn and then I shall be old and useless.

ravnostic
    Participant

ya know, I always SWORE I would NEVER EVER EVER change from film to digital (I also swore I’d never do those mp3 thingys). Seeing this contest and what’s posted and the quality difference is AMAZING. And soon enough there’s going to be something I’m going to refuse to give up and learn and then I shall be old and useless.

To a point, perhaps. But what wasn’t done was much post processing. In my photos, for example, I could have (within the scanner even, let alone the computer) reduced the noise, enhanced the colors, sharpened the image, and adjusted the curves for a more pleasing effect.

I think the majority of pictures represent our photography without doing those things. Heck, due to a kick-arse clean-room cloth wiping process, I didn’t even have to do any dust deletes (which would have been totally kosher to do.)

gambitsgirl
    Participant

To a point, perhaps. But what wasn’t done was much post processing. In my photos, for example, I could have (within the scanner even, let alone the computer) reduced the noise, enhanced the colors, sharpened the image, and adjusted the curves for a more pleasing effect.

I think the majority of pictures represent our photography without doing those things. Heck, due to a kick-arse clean-room cloth wiping process, I didn’t even have to do any dust deletes (which would have been totally kosher to do.)

OMG I hope I didn’t offend. I voted and there was a heapton of awesome in there. The compositions and photos themselves are just as good. I was just thinking aloud about the basic ability to point and shoot and upload and clarity.

ravnostic
    Participant

OMG I hope I didn’t offend. I voted and there was a heapton of awesome in there. The compositions and photos themselves are just as good. I was just thinking aloud about the basic ability to point and shoot and upload and clarity.

No offense taken. I think there’s loads of awesomeness, too.

But I also think we get spoiled by digital in the ease in which we can bring out the elements that help make a photo special. Much more difficult with film, unless you happen to have your own darkroom and a load of chemicals and a lot of chemistry know-how.

Not to mention the instant gratification of knowing, right then and there, if you captured a photo that’s going to represent what you wanted it to be in the first place.

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

Wait, dust editing was kosher?

I spent 30 minutes cleaning the surface of my scanner glass after the first attempt, only to realize that the dust was on the interior face of the glass.

orionid
    Participant

Not to mention the instant gratification of knowing, right then and there, if you captured a photo that’s going to represent what you wanted it to be in the first place.

If I had a nickel for every time I looked at the back of one of my film cameras to check the preview and histogram and felt like a n00b, I’d be able to buy a couple sodas.

orionid
    Participant

Els: Regarding the deleted comments, I thought he was saying that in jest, which is what I was attempting to include in my response. I know he’s posted in farktography threads before.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Congrats to aspidites for the individual win and to Ranger Joe/cameraflage for the combined win. The Weekly Reports post has been updated with the latest stats.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Els: Regarding the deleted comments, I thought he was saying that in jest, which is what I was attempting to include in my response. I know he’s posted in farktography threads before.

Hm, that could have been the case. But generally the “this thread sucks” kind of comments get deleted anyway.

Congrats to aspidites this week!

Kestrana
    Participant

Someone said the thread sucked?

aspidites
    Participant

Thanks, I didn’t figure I would get this one, Ranger Joe’s scenics were very good. Well at least I’m going out with a win. The eye doctor is limiting my computer time and he said no photography for awhile. I had a PVD on the optic disc in my right eye and he doesn’t want me to stress it for the next 4 to 8 weeks until they figure out if I have a retinal tear where it detached.

Kestrana
    Participant

We’ll be here when you get back!

olavf
    Participant

aspidites I wish you a speedy recovery, and offer a reminder that archival shots are allowed here so you’re more than welcome to play with your more than awesome stockpile even if you can’t pick up the camera 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 105 total)
  • The topic ‘11-09-11 – Purely Film’ is closed to new replies.