11-16-11 – You Can’t Fight City Hall

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 11-16-11 – You Can’t Fight City Hall

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 115 total)
  • Author
    U-Man
    Participant

Curious’ last comment struck me. Yugoboy, please don’t take any offense from my comments. I was simply stating my opinion to the whole community. I was not at all bitching at you. We’re pretty loose and imperfect – but things work because we try not to step on any toes. I’m pretty sure everybody has the same thoughts as me in this regard. Even cranky-pants orionid (cranky today. not usually).

I have one that stretches the theme. I don’t plan on winning with it. I plan on pleasing a few of the Fark crowd and making a few smiles in the world. Hope it doesn’t get yanked.

Curious
    Participant

having a literal mind when the theme said buildings i shot buildings. not pieces of them. or gargoyles or whatever. but looking at the contest it seems others weren’t as literal so i dumped my post office building for a partial of the pearl river county courthouse.

and i added explanatory text, sue me 🙂

mopsy
    Participant

Got late entry tonight as I was out with our family celebrating deer hunting season and my nephews first time trying out his artificial limb in rough terrain.
    He lost the lower part of his leg stepping on a land mine in Afghanistan on his last tour of duty. But he brought down a deer today. It was a good celebration!

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Well damn, I missed the discussion…been out most of today. But I agree with the notion that the day of or even a couple days before the contest is too late to be limiting a theme, and we definitely need to be mindful that the vast majority of participants will only have the wording of the theme description posted in the Fark Boobies to go off of. (Yeah yeah, I know most people don’t even read it…). Dunno if we need a week cutoff for changes, but I can see an argument for it given that the theme is linked to on Fark the week before.

And no, orionid, that won’t get you banhammered. Unless you post a picture of actual cock and balls.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Ugh. CISS, I missed your post. Flying with a cold bites. Hope you feel better soon.

Thanks much, U-Man. After dosing up and sleeping pretty much all day Sat, the cold’s mostly gone. Wish I could say the same for the workload…

Yugoboy
    Participant

FWIW – I didn’t take offense to anyone’s comments.

I figured it was pretty late in the game to change anything officially, so leaving it alone was OK, too. Somebody (it’s not even 7am, I’m not scrolling back up to see who) mentioned that it had been hashed out in the original Themes forum thread, so when these questions popped up at the last minute I was a bit surprised but tried to respond as best I could.

I haven’t yet checked on the thread since I posted at midnight, so I do hope everyone who was worried is less so, and their pics get a plethora of votes. What I saw last night was pretty nice – up to our usual standards of awesome, I thinks.

Farktographer
    Participant

Well damn, I missed the discussion…been out most of today. But I agree with the notion that the day of or even a couple days before the contest is too late to be limiting a theme, and we definitely need to be mindful that the vast majority of participants will only have the wording of the theme description posted in the Fark Boobies to go off of. (Yeah yeah, I know most people don’t even read it…). Dunno if we need a week cutoff for changes, but I can see an argument for it given that the theme is linked to on Fark the week before.

And no, orionid, that won’t get you banhammered. Unless you post a picture of actual cock and balls.

Personally, I feel most of the time the majority of the issues should be/are hammered out in the voting thread. That’s pretty much the place where we see if it’s going to be a broad or narrow theme – themes shouldn’t be changed much once they’re in the hopper, IMO.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Generally speaking, yes. However, not everyone participates in those discussions, and sometimes people will think of something long after the theme was hoppered or scheduled, and they will need clarification on it.

mopsy
    Participant

Elsinore, could you please make 2011-11-16 08158105 PM voteable. Guess that’s what happens when you are late and in a hurry to enter the thread!

gambitsgirl
    Participant

Good shots guys. I’m waaaay too stung out over a very farked up Thanksgiving (which is getting worse by the day) to get out and shoot. I hope I can get something done for next week as I’m leaving on Tuesday and won’t be back till Sunday (If I don’t throw myself off a cliff)

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Elsinore, could you please make 2011-11-16 08158105 PM voteable. Guess that’s what happens when you are late and in a hurry to enter the thread!

yep got it!

mopsy
    Participant

Thanks Elsinore!

Yugoboy
    Participant

Good shots guys. I’m waaaay too stung out over a very farked up Thanksgiving (which is getting worse by the day) to get out and shoot. I hope I can get something done for next week as I’m leaving on Tuesday and won’t be back till Sunday (If I don’t throw myself off a cliff)

In all seriousness:
    Tell the family that’s got you all wound up to do it themselves this Turkey Day and come to our place. My parents are going on a cruise with my mom’s (mostly retired and can afford it) siblings, so it’s just my wife and I. Her sister *may* be joining us.
    If you are in any way interested in my offer (and I am totally serious) PM me, and we’ll talk.

My wife and I understand family driving you to the edge. (It’s why I haven’t mentioned her family until this moment.)

gambitsgirl
    Participant

In all seriousness:
    Tell the family that’s got you all wound up to do it themselves this Turkey Day and come to our place. My parents are going on a cruise with my mom’s (mostly retired and can afford it) siblings, so it’s just my wife and I. Her sister *may* be joining us.
    If you are in any way interested in my offer (and I am totally serious) PM me, and we’ll talk.

My wife and I understand family driving you to the edge. (It’s why I haven’t mentioned her family until this moment.)

I don’t know if I’m laid it all out in here but there’s a story behind me and Thanksgiving that has landed me in the mountains every year for Thanksgiving. It started the year my husband died with just the kids and I… alone. 25 days after he died my WHOLE family left town to go to my sister’s in-laws and left the kids and I at home. while they are not bad people it ruined the holiday for me. I don’t cook. We are free. We play. We eat the meal out. We go rock hopping and horse back riding and whatever we like. It’s been good and it works for us.

Anyways – this year I invited my very very best friend. Her husband lost his job 4 years ago and I wanted them and the 3 kids to get out and have fun. She works a ton, misses her family and needs to get away. BIG mistake. I love her dearly but since they can’t afford to go out for dinner and won’t let me pay for it, she’s demanding on cooking (broke resolve number 1 – I will never cook Thanksgiving again as I can’t let her do it alone). 2- as she can’t afford to take her kids shopping and won’t let me buy them anything I will feel bad taking mine to the Candy Shop and for Christmas shopping (tradition #2). 3 – we always go horse back riding. As she can’t afford to take hers and won’t let me pay for it… you see where I’m going….. I need to just take a lot of Ativan and let it come as it may but I’m OCD and she’s OCD and we have totally different traditions and I need to let go because she can’t afford to let go and still feel useful and I’m such a pain in the ass and I love her so much and….

TL:DR – Thank you so much for the invitation but I’m hosting Thanksgiving and it’s gonna happen and I may get AWESOME trainwreck photos we can drink and laugh over when we get old and realize we stressed too much. If nothing else, I can take the box of ashes and put it in her mimosa.

xoxo

Yugoboy
    Participant

That’s cool. Her sister’s staying home, so it’s just gonna be us, a chicken, the dogs and cats, football, and something from Redbox. Gonna try to avoid stress, and possibly sobriety.

Given my dislike of most traditional Thanksgiving foods, I don’t mind at all.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 115 total)
  • The topic ‘11-16-11 – You Can’t Fight City Hall’ is closed to new replies.