11-16-11 – You Can’t Fight City Hall

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 11-16-11 – You Can’t Fight City Hall

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 115 total)
  • Author
    orionid
    Participant

Who needs photo recon to blow up a bridge when you have a squadron of F/A-18’s and a bunch of maverick missiles?

ravnostic
    Participant

Crap–I was thinking this was the week for Triptychs. Now I gotta rearrange all my plans.

What’s this fuss about blowing up bridges? Nevermind. I don’t have the time…

Yoyo
    Participant

Who needs photo recon to blow up a bridge when you have a squadron of F/A-18’s and a bunch of maverick missiles?

Doctrinally speaking, ground reconnaissance is always best. And in the current operating environment, aircraft are never there when you need them, and always there when it’s too late. We could take this to the pub forum if you’ld like to continue.

Who needs to go out and take pictures of government buildings or memorials in DC to remember vacation, when you have Google maps and a bunch of photos taken by other people? The kids are probably too young to remember it anyway. Why even visit DC next summer, just download some stock photos of tourist spots, ‘shop the kids into them, print them (this step is not needed), and tell the kids they actually went to the Smithsonian a few years later.

Just because you can do something (and get away with it being marginally successful) doesn’t mean you should when there are better options.

ennuipoet
    Participant

I always want to point out to officious officials that were I terrorist I would almost certainly being using a smaller, less obvious camera than my DSLR for my photo recon. I would be simply pull out a P&S with a decent optical zoom and use the LCD on the back to line up my target. While security is over hassling the legit photog with his DSLR and big white zoom lens I have taken dozens of shots and seen the security response all while sipping tea and playing with something that looks like an iphone.

I suppose I could be a terrorist who really cares about chromatic aberration and proper color capture.

Kestrana
    Participant

We all want our country to be safe but I also want my country to be free, cuz what’s the point of a “safe” country where I don’t have the freedom to practice a hobby that hurts no one and nothing?

But yeah we probably should move this discussion to the pub if we want to continue it and stop jacking the thread.

Curious
    Participant

I always want to point out to officious officials that were I terrorist I would almost certainly being using a smaller, less obvious camera than my DSLR for my photo recon. I would be simply pull out a P&S with a decent optical zoom and use the LCD on the back to line up my target. While security is over hassling the legit photog with his DSLR and big white zoom lens I have taken dozens of shots and seen the security response all while sipping tea and playing with something that looks like an iphone.

I suppose I could be a terrorist who really cares about chromatic aberration and proper color capture.

i’m thinking of visiting some small towns nearby in southern MS tomorrow. you know, with the courthouse on the square. i really really hate it that i’m a bit concerned.

Yugoboy
    Participant

i’m thinking of visiting some small towns nearby in southern MS tomorrow. you know, with the courthouse on the square. i really really hate it that i’m a bit concerned.

Having spent significant vacation time in the south 4 of the last 5 years, I don’t know why you would be. Those guys have never been anything other than “meh” when they notice me at all. And I’m a long-haired dude with NY plates on my wife’s truck. It’s not like I fit in real well, but I’ve never been hassled, and I shoot just about everything.

I got more grief at a local museum (not much) than I have anywhere in the south.

U-Man
    Participant

I gots no pics and no ideas and minimal time. I’ll put down some money that says I’ll be downtown with a tripod after dark on Tuesday.

staplermofo
    Participant

All this raises an interesting point. Do you guys suppose if I mugged a guy with a nice camera set up I could get away with it? Like, just run up behind the guy, hit him with a blackjack, then pretend to remove his mask Scooby-Doo style when I’m really strapping on a fake beard, then shout “He’s Machbous al Kabsah!!”, throw all the camera stuff in a van and drive off.

I could use some opinions on this before Tuesday night.

U-Man
    Participant

Do bridges or airports count as government buildings?

ennuipoet
    Participant

Do bridges or airports count as government buildings?

I wouldn’t consider a bridge a “building” because people don’t live or work “in” but travel “on” it. An airport that is operated under a state or local agency like the Port Authority here in NYC/NJ, would definitely fall in the category.

Of course, that’s just, like, my opinion man.

orionid
    Participant

Okay, more grey-area hairsplitting.

1) Memorials that are building-like in design, like the USS Arizona Memorial?
    2) State-owned buildings with minimum governmental purpose like cabins or barns on a state park?
    3) Federal-owned buildings with slightly more than minimum purpose, like an old house being used for storage on land owned by the national historic trust?
    4) federal-owned buildings leased to non governmental activities, like a retired racehorse ranch on land owned by the federal historic trust?
    5) Public but gov’t owned museums?
    6) Military Housing (not barracks)?

Yugoboy
    Participant

Okay, more grey-area hairsplitting.

*clip*

My thinking is places where governing happens. City Hall, Statehouse, Court House, Capitol Buildings, Governors’ Mansions, White House, etc. Buildings may be retired (i.e. Old State Capitol in Springfield IL which would have been demolished if Lincoln hadn’t served there).

It should be obviously a government building for the purpose of governing. Fire Halls, Police Stations/Precincts also qualify.

Given how freakin’ much the government actually owns, it’s gotta be limited or it’d be open to just about anything.

Trust me, this ain’t due to me having some sort of winning photo. My entries are ok, but not great. Looking forward to seeing how y’all accomplish this.

ennuipoet
    Participant

Trust me, this ain’t due to me having some sort of winning photo. My entries are ok, but not great. Looking forward to seeing how y’all accomplish this.

The one thing I’ve learned is how badly I suck at shooting architecture. I simply cannot get my perspectives right, nothing is level, way to much distortion (everything is leaning in!) and even though I live in a City with all these architectural marvels, I can’t get excited about shooting them.

I finished my entries yesterday but I am lukewarm on them, at best. This being Fark, I will hate my entries and they will do great in the voting. (Anyone else notice that phenomenon?)

Curious
    Participant
    Yugoboy wrote:

It’s not like I fit in real well, but I’ve never been hassled, and I shoot just about everything.

I got more grief at a local museum (not much) than I have anywhere in the south.

there is a small town in west AR where every time i went through i got stopped. mid afternoon, midnight, didn’t matter. also didn’t matter what i was driving. car, converted school bus, work truck.

anyway the sheriff simply ask if i/we had any alcohol, ask to check the cooler and then let us leave. always polite but always stopped. this was in the early to mid 70s.

since then i’ve done a fair amount of traveling in TX, LA, MS, far south AL and west FL all with no problems. and a lot of that in LA and MS since 9-11. all had lots of picture taking going on. but none of government buildings.

we shall see. i didn’t go today but now plan to go wednesday.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 115 total)
  • The topic ‘11-16-11 – You Can’t Fight City Hall’ is closed to new replies.