11-16-11 – You Can’t Fight City Hall

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 11-16-11 – You Can’t Fight City Hall

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 115 total)
  • Author
    sleeping
    Participant

I simply cannot get my perspectives right, nothing is level, way to much distortion (everything is leaning in!)

You just need a view camera! 😉

ennuipoet
    Participant

I simply cannot get my perspectives right, nothing is level, way to much distortion (everything is leaning in!)

You just need a view camera! 😉

I kept thinking to myself: “With a good tilt shift lens I could…” which is counter productive because that just isn’t happening any time soon! 🙄

ravnostic
    Participant

I have procrastinated on principle: Our state sold it’s government buildings and then leased them from the buyers. I’m still pissed about this.

I plan on shooting tomorrow, but it might be pretty dull–I’ve lost some inspiration.

Farktographer
    Participant

I gots no pics and no ideas and minimal time. I’ll put down some money that says I’ll be downtown with a tripod after dark on Tuesday.

You and me both…unless I can find some decent photos in an archive-dive.

orionid
    Participant

…unless I can find some decent photos in an archive-dive.

I tried that already. Some mediocre shots of the capital building, government buildings in Spain that I’m pretty sure I already used, and a bunch of stuff that apparently isn’t allowed because it isn’t used to govern.

SilverStag
    Participant

Can someone post these for me? I’m on the road this week, in Oregon, and I’ll be headed for Seattle tomorrow. Cut and Paste should do it.

/

Cut

/

OBO SilverStag

Indiana State Capitol Rotunda

/

Cut

/

OBO SilverStag

Shoeshine stand in the Capitol

/

Cut

/

OBO SilverStag

Law (Indiana State Capitol)

linguine
    Participant

Can someone post these for me? I’m on the road this week, in Oregon, and I’ll be headed for Seattle tomorrow. Cut and Paste should do it.

/

Cut

/

OBO SilverStag

Indiana State Capitol Rotunda

/

Cut

/

OBO SilverStag

Shoeshine stand in the Capitol

/

Cut

/

OBO SilverStag

Law (Indiana State Capitol)

I can post for you.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

While out of town last week I managed to catch a killer cold that incapacitated me over the weekend (with the bonus of making the flight home super enjoyable), meaning I’m now scrambling to make up time for an important demo Thursday.

TL;DR: Nothing from me again this week. 🙁

U-Man
    Participant

Is the description including, “Fire Department, Sewer and Water, whatever… as long as it’s owned by a government or has some government purpose.” accurate? Yugoboy directed that it should be where governing happens. Are we going to be more lenient than Yug’s last post or change the description?

U-Man
    Participant

Ugh. CISS, I missed your post. Flying with a cold bites. Hope you feel better soon.

clouddancer
    Participant

Town Office works, right? I think I might go for a drive tomorrow, just to get out…

Public library? Is that government?

olavf
    Participant

I’m kinda confused too. Bus stations, subways, etc., are cool or no?

ennuipoet
    Participant

I’m kinda confused too. Bus stations, subways, etc., are cool or no?

Again, not my theme, but I think public transportation is definitely part of City Hall. A Greyhound Terminal not so much, but a Subway station or Metrobus Shelter, I don’t see why not.

Yugoboy
    Participant

I don’t exactly want to stifle creativity, but also… the government owns a goddam lotta stuff. Where to draw the line?

I kinda thought this theme would be an interesting way to look at those buildings where the people who make, execute, and judge the laws do their thing.

The three basic branches of government trickle all the way down to Tinytown, America, although in some places they’re smushed into the same building (which is in itself telling and interesting). I got a traffic ticket in a small town in NY one time and when I went to “court” it was the meeting hall in the DPW building. (Worked out OK… got it dismissed).

I’m open to liberal interpretations of the theme, but (as the songwriter once wrote) you can’t be “so open-minded your brains fall out.”

I may be “lucky” in that I live in a reasonably large community where I’ve got not just my town, but a number of towns, villages as well as a city, and that city’s large enough to have a federal building and a federal court house. People in a state or federal capitol will have even more options. People in Tinytown, America may have to archive dive or be creative in the way they shoot town hall, police station or the court building. It might be interesting to go inside the building, I know interiors can have merit as well. An empty court room, city council chambers or clerk’s office may have artistic value.
    One of mine is City Hall from the large city I live next to and work in, one’s the Court House from a much smaller city a half hour away where Susan B. Anthony was tried for illegal voting, and the last is Rome’s (modern and current) City Hall.

Take this post for what you will. After this, I’ll let mods and voters sort it out.

sleeping
    Participant

Take this post for what you will. After this, I’ll let mods and voters sort it out.

Thing is, though: most farktography participants don’t visit these forums much if at all. So the final word on what goes or not has to be the actual theme description, not a post in this forum. And as worded that’s a lot broader than what you’re suggesting here.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 115 total)
  • The topic ‘11-16-11 – You Can’t Fight City Hall’ is closed to new replies.