11-16-11 – You Can’t Fight City Hall

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 11-16-11 – You Can’t Fight City Hall

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 115 total)
  • Author
    Kestrana
    Participant

I have been told that I am learning the family cooking traditions this year :/ I would rather be watching football.

linguine
    Participant

I have been told that I am learning the family cooking traditions this year :/ I would rather be watching football.

Have you considered screwing some things up in the kitchen as soon as you get started and/or showing up drunk and yelling FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!! at people.

Yugoboy
    Participant

Have you considered screwing some things up in the kitchen as soon as you get started and/or showing up drunk and yelling FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!! at people.

It’s not too late to
    a) explain that football IS a tradition, you’ve started your own family dammit!
    and/or
    b) get a small TV to put in the kitchen, &/or make sure whatever tasks you do put you in position to watch the tube

no need to screw things up, just go all passive-aggressive, thus pressing home the point that you and your husband would rather be snuggled on the couch eating frozen pizza than miss a couple big games

orionid
    Participant

No no no no….. with the women in my family, this is more likely to get her strapped down and bombarded with domestic imagery all clockwork-orange style. They take thanksgiving seriously.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Thanksgiving: Serious business.

Yugoboy
    Participant

Given my personal disdain for:
    Turkey
    Yams
    Mashed potatoes
    Pumpkin Pie
    Cranberry anything but juice

and spending any time in the same zip code as my brother

Thanksgiving is a pain in the butt.
    If only my mom wasn’t hosting an early one at her place on Sunday… I’d be sooooo much happier. I’ll be bringing my usual baked pasta so I’ve got something to eat besides stuffing. Thanksgiving is good for football and a long weekend.

linguine
    Participant

No no no no….. with the women in my family, this is more likely to get her strapped down and bombarded with domestic imagery all clockwork-orange style. They take thanksgiving seriously.

They probably wouldn’t like my family where its not completely guaranteed that the turkey will be bought before thanksgiving morning.

Kestrana
    Participant

I like the suggestions but it’s hard to show up drunk to my own house…note I say hard, not impossible. Plus no one in the family shares love of football like I do (I can watch any pro team and enjoy it) but it’s also that I don’t like to cook…

gambitsgirl
    Participant

That’s cool. Her sister’s staying home, so it’s just gonna be us, a chicken, the dogs and cats, football, and something from Redbox. Gonna try to avoid stress, and possibly sobriety.

Given my dislike of most traditional Thanksgiving foods, I don’t mind at all.

gambitsgirl
    Participant

This thread went awesome 😀

Yoyo
    Participant

Just light the stove on fire once. That should ban you from the kitchen for at least a year.

Farktographer
    Participant

I like the suggestions but it’s hard to show up drunk to my own house…note I say hard, not impossible. Plus no one in the family shares love of football like I do (I can watch any pro team and enjoy it) but it’s also that I don’t like to cook…

When you do show up to your own house unexpectedly drunk, it’s bound to be a legendary night.

My mom’s favorite holiday is Thanksgiving, so me being out of the states for the first time this year, she was nearly in tears just imagining me going without a turkey dinner. Made it all better when I promised her I’d get some turkey from somewhere.

…Wild Turkey bourbon counts, right? 😛

/edit to say: Damn, I miss football.

Kestrana
    Participant

They just played the London game a few weeks ago.

When I was in 6th grade I was in London during Thanksgiving and my family and I actually forgot it was Thanksgiving – until a Beefeater at the Tower of London wished us Happy Thanksgiving “To you American types”. “Oh..yeah…thanks.”

We had McDonald’s.

Farktographer
    Participant

They just played the London game a few weeks ago.

When I was in 6th grade I was in London during Thanksgiving and my family and I actually forgot it was Thanksgiving – until a Beefeater at the Tower of London wished us Happy Thanksgiving “To you American types”. “Oh..yeah…thanks.”

We had McDonald’s.

The Chargers weren’t playing, so I couldn’t be bothered to pay much attention 😉 I honestly forgot Thanksgiving was coming up as well until coworkers mentioned it to me a couple weeks back. Oops.

orionid
    Participant

My most memorable Thanksgiving was actually at bootcamp. We were supposed to have been part of an “adopt-a-sailor” thing, but the guy that had drawn us slept in. So we got on-base liberty instead and went to the arcade. I had two microwave burritos. They were excellent. It might not have been the best Thanksgiving dinner, but certainly one I’ll never forget.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 115 total)
  • The topic ‘11-16-11 – You Can’t Fight City Hall’ is closed to new replies.