11-17-10 – Artistic Bent

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 11-17-10 – Artistic Bent

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 167 total)
  • Author
    EdenLiesObscured
    Participant

odd, based on what little i know from previous contests, how there seem to be so few votes. when i added mine this morning, there were already 160 posts…but the leading vote-getter was at 10.

ravnostic
    Participant

odd, based on what little i know from previous contests, how there seem to be so few votes. when i added mine this morning, there were already 160 posts…but the leading vote-getter was at 10.

Liked your entries today, Eden.

I think perhaps it’s the subject and people’s interpretations. I found when voting so far, there’s a lot that I didn’t consider to be ‘artistic’, within my definition. As a percentage, I probably voted for fewer entries than in any other contest I can remember.

I almost feel guilty about it, even, but I cannot in good conscious vote for entries I didn’t personally find to be artistic. I think it’s likely that others, within their{edited} own definitions, also limited their votes.

Or maybe the teeming masses just haven’t started voting yet. I’m just happy I have any votes, as I kinda came in with an “I’m gonna fail” fear.

EdenLiesObscured
    Participant

thanks, Ravnostic. much appreciated. my 3rd entry was a whim–running late for work. so many others i should have chosen. oh well.

I agree. I’m not going to knock the photographer, or even publicly any photo, but as a whole I wasn’t awe-struck, not like I expected to be, not like I have been with recent contest entries. I too didn’t vote for many. I intend to scroll through again on a better monitor.

orionid
    Participant

ennuipoet, I love your HDR photo. Too bad you could not use it. I happen to be one of the ones that really likes HDR and it does have an “artistic” look to it. In fact, I’m going to stick my neck out and ask why HDR is so often ruled out. Lately, it seems, that there are a growing number of photos using techniques that change the finished product much the way HDR does. Just an observation.

I think it is because when people hear HDR, they think this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ennuipoet/4120221380/in/set-72157622842248524/#/photos/ennuipoet/4120221380/in/set-72157622842248524/lightbox/

and not this
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ennuipoet/4977027572/in/set-72157622842248524/#/photos/ennuipoet/4977027572/in/set-72157622842248524/lightbox/

When I first started using the technique, I went for the crazy, distorted unrealistic stuff and the realized the technique was created for overcoming technical limitations. When used to create realistic images like the second one, I think it should be considered as valid as any darkroom method to enhance exposure. But that is purely an opinion.

ETA: I should amend this statement to say that I am not advocating HDR in every theme! I think the process has a real and effective use in themes like this one, having the threads littered with overdone photoshopped crap would irk me as much as it would anyone who dislikes the process in general.

I was the same way. My earliest HDR’s were crap, but once I got a hang of things, I went hog wild:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/orionid/4622708378/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/orionid/4758465677/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/orionid/4622109831/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/orionid/4547495478/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/orionid/4622158231/

Then I started calming down a bit:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/orionid/4769733796/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/orionid/4622290453/

And now I’m here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/orionid/5116180093/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/orionid/5157034532/

In regards to voters this week, I got nuthin. I know it’s early yet, but with a total of 11 votes, this is my worst pull out of the gate in over a year. I try not to let votes get to me, and won’t comment on a specific photo unless it’s a glaring rules violation, but this is the first time since I’ve started that I’ve felt downright insulted by the voters.

mopsy
    Participant

ennuipoet/orionid, loved looking at your HDR. I happen to like both extremes – ones that take on a oil painting/cartoon like appearance and ones that use HDR to enhance the photo. U-Man has one of an old hunting cabin on our property that is cartoon like that I have always like. But I also feel the depth in the subtle application that just makes the photo say. wow!

Elsinore
    Keymaster

In regards to voters this week, I got nuthin. I know it’s early yet, but with a total of 11 votes, this is my worst pull out of the gate in over a year. I try not to let votes get to me, and won’t comment on a specific photo unless it’s a glaring rules violation, but this is the first time since I’ve started that I’ve felt downright insulted by the voters.

I wouldn’t say I feel insulted, but I do feel like I basically wasted two of my favorite photos that, hindsight being 20/20, would probably have been better used somewhere else. Ah well. I wonder if the “artistic” thing just doesn’t speak to Farkers in general…that they think it’s too lofty maybe?

orionid
    Participant

Should have gone TTV of a pintglass.
    /Lovelovelove the canoes, btw.

soosh
    Participant

I wouldn’t say I feel insulted, but I do feel like I basically wasted two of my favorite photos that, hindsight being 20/20, would probably have been better used somewhere else. Ah well. I wonder if the “artistic” thing just doesn’t speak to Farkers in general…that they think it’s too lofty maybe?

I’ve got a ton of photos that are my favorites that are way way down at the bottom of my FSM profile page. Sometimes a certain photo just doesn’t jump out on the page, either due to the photos before and after, or just due to the overwhelming amount of great images. It’s a whole different ball game than looking at one photo on a neutral background and being able to see the detail without distraction.

I never feel like I have any cause to gripe about how I place, because I’ve had so many photos finish really high, but it’s frequently humbling to be a part of this group, because there is some fantastic talent and imagination to be found here.

lokisbong
    Participant

Yeah most of my favorite pictures don’t do so great. Some day I will post something that actually wins but I am sure it will be my least favorite that week. so far this week I am happy-ish with the votes. Although the top vote getter seems to be going down in places instead of up the scale.the week I figure out what the voters like will be like Douglas Adams says about the Universe.”If ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.”

Uranus
    Participant

you mean i wasted my votes on you guys?

/know the feeling…

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Thanks 🙂 That one actually won the color category of a local contest this past year and was featured on the cover of the mag that sponsored the contest. It and the Pear Blossoms shot I’ve used before are my favorite TtV’s. Unfortunately, with coming back from the strep-from-hell, I just wasn’t able to shoot anything fresh for this one.

I never feel like I have any cause to gripe about how I place, because I’ve had so many photos finish really high, but it’s frequently humbling to be a part of this group, because there is some fantastic talent and imagination to be found here.

I don’t mean to give the impression that I’m griping. As above, after almost landing in the ER with strep-from-hell, my time and energy for photography in the past 2 weeks has been nonexistent (not that I’ve had a lot of time for it the past 6 weeks), so it was going to be an archive dive either way. But in retrospect, I think the Canoes TtV and Foggy Drive shots would have been more appropriate for other themes. I’m scratching my head as to why the Bluelight Special spirograph thing is doing as well as it is, as I kind of entered it as an after thought and didn’t figure it would speak to voters. But as always, voters are fickle.

/thank you, Uranus 🙂

lokisbong
    Participant

I have not voted yet but I know the canoes shot is getting my vote. The pintglass idea probably would do well with the masses on fark though. Hmmmm maybe I should try to find my own version of Hagrid.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Thanks, lokisbong 🙂 You can get into TtV on the cheap with just a Kodak Duaflex or some other similar pseudo-twin lens reflex camera from the 50s/60s. They’re available at yard sales and ebay for a couple bucks, and you can create a light shade from poster board (you may or may not need to remove the camera’s actual light shade first). That’s what got me into TtV originally. Then my Evil Photography Twin found Hagrid at a yard sale and called me (10 bucks!!). Biggest damn TLR I’ve ever seen, though Gowland made them up to 8×10, apparently. Too bad Hagrid doesn’t work for anything but TtV, but then that’s a big reason I got the Speed Graphic (which I have, sadly, not gotten the chance to shoot yet)

justkat
    Participant

I almost feel guilty about it, even, but I cannot in good conscious vote for entries I didn’t personally find to be artistic. I think it’s likely that others, within their{edited} own definitions, also limited their votes.

Or maybe the teeming masses just haven’t started voting yet. I’m just happy I have any votes, as I kinda came in with an “I’m gonna fail” fear.

In a contest like this one, I feel I have to take the poster’s intention as legitimate and not let what *I* consider art be a factor. We all have different tastes. Just because it may not strike me as artistic doesn’t automatically disqualify it for me; the photographer might think it’s the most artistic thing he or she has ever done. So when it comes to a photograph that doesn’t strike me as arty, I decide based on technical execution and whether or not I just plain like the photograph. Which I might, even if I don’t think it’s art, although I can’t say yet. I haven’t voted yet. I’m a Saturday voter.

Elsinore – I suspect Olav is feeling much the same way. =

soosh
    Participant

Thanks 🙂 That one actually won the color category of a local contest this past year and was featured on the cover of the mag that sponsored the contest. It and the Pear Blossoms shot I’ve used before are my favorite TtV’s. Unfortunately, with coming back from the strep-from-hell, I just wasn’t able to shoot anything fresh for this one.

I don’t mean to give the impression that I’m griping. As above, after almost landing in the ER with strep-from-hell, my time and energy for photography in the past 2 weeks has been nonexistent (not that I’ve had a lot of time for it the past 6 weeks), so it was going to be an archive dive either way. But in retrospect, I think the Canoes TtV and Foggy Drive shots would have been more appropriate for other themes. I’m scratching my head as to why the Bluelight Special spirograph thing is doing as well as it is, as I kind of entered it as an after thought and didn’t figure it would speak to voters. But as always, voters are fickle.

/thank you, Uranus 🙂

Oh, I totally wasn’t trying to say you were griping. I just always feel, when one of mine is halfway down the page of votes, that there’s no way I can bitch and moan because I’ve had so many (many that surprised me totally) work out so well.

I’ve been completely out of sync in taking photos since August, when I dropped my 20D in the Anchorage airport and fucked it up. For a few months, I thought I’d try to save up for a 60D instead of replacing it, but that wasn’t going anywhere, so a few weeks ago I sent the 20D in. Got it back yesterday, and I can’t wait to get back into the swing of things. I’ve got three Minolta manual focus primes that I’m itching to try out, and also I’ve got a highly-regarded Nikkor large-format enlarging lens that I’m going to try out on the 20D. I’ve got it set up as just a straight prime, and then also finally figured out my old Vivitar macro bellows enough that I can mount my 20D body on one end, and either the enlarging lens on the other end, or one of the longer Minolta primes (probably the 135 f/2.8), with the Nikkor enlarging lens reversed for super-close macro work.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 167 total)
  • The topic ‘11-17-10 – Artistic Bent’ is closed to new replies.