11-17-10 – Artistic Bent

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 11-17-10 – Artistic Bent

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 167 total)
  • Author
    soosh
    Participant

with coming back from the strep-from-hell

hope you’re feeling better from that. A year and a half ago, I got a strep infection deep in a very personal area that turned into two months on my back with a vacuum-sucking wound healing machine that I had to wear 24/7 and twice-daily in-home nurse visits for unpacking and repacking of my temporary don’t-want-to-think-about-it very deep marsupial-type pocket until it healed up.

/that may have been the most convoluted sentence I’ve ever written without the help of gin

sleeping
    Participant

Too bad Hagrid doesn’t work for anything but TtV

Why not? It doesn’t look like there’s a whole lot that could go wrong with him…

mopsy
    Participant

I am often at half or below. I just look around my low vote getter and if any of you have joined me, I smile and think, “Well at least I am in good company!”

Elsinore
    Keymaster

and also I’ve got a highly-regarded Nikkor large-format enlarging lens that I’m going to try out on the 20D. I’ve got it set up as just a straight prime, and then also finally figured out my old Vivitar macro bellows enough that I can mount my 20D body on one end, and either the enlarging lens on the other end, or one of the longer Minolta primes (probably the 135 f/2.Cool, with the Nikkor enlarging lens reversed for super-close macro work.

Nice….I soooo want to try something like that with the large format lenses I have. Need a bellows. And some other stuff. And to win the lottery. But then I’d have to play first.

hope you’re feeling better from that. A year and a half ago, I got a strep infection deep in a very personal area that turned into two months on my back with a vacuum-sucking wound healing machine that I had to wear 24/7

Wow, I remember you were ill, but I think the magnitude escaped me. Yikes! I am much better than I was this time a week ago. I went in Thurs morning with a 101.7 and got Amoxil, and 3 doses later went back Friday evening with a 104.2. At that point, they gave me a shot of Rocephin and a Z-pack (but not just any Z-pack…2 pills a day for 3 days) and told me if the fever wasn’t down in the morning it was time to go to the ER cause I might have moved into abscess territory. My 5 year old literally thought I was dying; they aren’t used to seeing me sick at all. But the fever broke (though it came back some and broke again a couple times over the weekend), and my regular doc gave me the all clear yesterday. I haven’t been that sick since high school (the last time I had strep). It started with the cold that’s going around, but I’ve been running myself ragged with PTA and volunteer stuff, so it finally caught up with me…

Why not? It doesn’t look like there’s a whole lot that could go wrong with him…

His shutter mechanism is completely electronic, and the cord/wiring for it is long since gone. I’m also not sure the wiring innards are intact, and the back is hosed (no ground glass and missing parts on the Graflock).

soosh
    Participant

Wow, I remember you were ill, but I think the magnitude escaped me. Yikes! I am much better than I was this time a week ago. I went in Thurs morning with a 101.7 and got Amoxil, and 3 doses later went back Friday evening with a 104.2. At that point, they gave me a shot of Rocephin and a Z-pack (but not just any Z-pack…2 pills a day for 3 days) and told me if the fever wasn’t down in the morning it was time to go to the ER cause I might have moved into abscess territory. My 5 year old literally thought I was dying; they aren’t used to seeing me sick at all. But the fever broke (though it came back some and broke again a couple times over the weekend), and my regular doc gave me the all clear yesterday. I haven’t been that sick since high school (the last time I had strep). It started with the cold that’s going around, but I’ve been running myself ragged with PTA and volunteer stuff, so it finally caught up with me…

that sounds plenty awful. mine started off with a fever and rapidly developed into a 4-inch abscess that required surgery. after that, I was in the hospital for two or three days just still sicker than hell. it was the worst sickness I’ve been through since mono.

sleeping
    Participant

His shutter mechanism is completely electronic, and the cord/wiring for it is long since gone. I’m also not sure the wiring innards are intact, and the back is hosed (no ground glass and missing parts on the Graflock).

Oh, too bad. But if the back is at least mostly intact you might be able to make him shootable if you could get a matched pair of lenses in shutter and mounted them on the existing lensboards…. (a ground glass for the back shouldn’t be needed if the top one works)

ennuipoet
    Participant

Looking at the vote totals now they are getting closer to what I expect. I think many of you are right when you say art is lost on Farkers, but not in a mean way. I based my voting this week on a simple criteria: would I see something like it in a gallery? Then I decided whether I liked it or not. I think that what art is so subjective that people who like art are voting on a set of internal criteria instead of just clicking what they like which I think they normally do in a thread.

I do also feel like Elsinore, that maybe I ‘wasted’ a shot. The B&W of the little boy in a cape (which is doing OK in the voting) in my opinion is a power, moving photograph but I know the backstory on it. I took the shoot at a Gay Pride Parade and the little boy was dressed as a superhero because he wanted to defend his mothers from the kind of people that wouldn’t let them get married. I took without the kid knowing I was there, but I had to go find out the story. Fortunately, I have three other shots of him that are just as good 😀 I guess I could have vote whored that shot with the backstory, but I didn’t think it needed it.

sleeping
    Participant

The B&W of the little boy in a cape (which is doing OK in the voting) in my opinion is a power, moving photograph but I know the backstory on it.

FWIW, I think it’s the best photo in the thread, myself.

I guess I could have vote whored that shot with the backstory, but I didn’t think it needed it.

It doesn’t…

ennuipoet
    Participant

The B&W of the little boy in a cape (which is doing OK in the voting) in my opinion is a power, moving photograph but I know the backstory on it.

I guess I could have vote whored that shot with the backstory, but I didn’t think it needed it.

It doesn’t…

Whoa!

Thanks!

It is truly appreciated!

EdenLiesObscured
    Participant

I based my voting this week on a simple criteria: would I see something like it in a gallery? Then I decided whether I liked it or not.

I took the shoot at a Gay Pride Parade and the little boy was dressed as a superhero because he wanted to defend his mothers from the kind of people that wouldn’t let them get married.

It seems the multitude really like slow-shutter “abstract” shots.

And, yeah, the backstory, like U-Man’s winning shot last week, is the jewel on a crown of a photo. That’s definitely HERO quality.

olavf
    Participant

I decided I haven’t been doing enough new stuff lately, and took two new ones this week. I got exactly the shot I wanted, catches the curve of her spine perfectly and everything. It’s got three votes. Such is life.

EdenLiesObscured
    Participant

I decided I haven’t been doing enough new stuff lately, and took two new ones this week. I got exactly the shot I wanted, catches the curve of her spine perfectly and everything. It’s got three votes. Such is life.

now you have 4

PandyFarmer
    Participant

MopsyI love your Fog on the River shot!

olavf
    Participant

now you have 4

I thank you,. but I honestly hope you up-voted that one because you liked it.

I’m good at quips, but I generally suck at words, so other than a lame attempt at titles, I don’t put too many words with my shots. I probably should, but they always seem so dry, and detracting.

‘Back’ is supposed to be gritty. It was purposely shot with a 250W hair light set low on plane as the light source to get the shadows the way I wanted them, and to accentuate the spinal curve. The other (personal) important feature is the tat, but I don’t think that’s central to the picture save a few people that would recognize it. Explaining it would be vote-whoring, I think.

‘Spotlight’ was the same night, but I killed all the studio lighting and grabbed a mag-lite as the sole lighting source. It came out as I wanted it on screen, though I suspect I’ll need to tweak it for prints. It’ll probably come out too dark there, it’s hard to say until I run it. I was looking for that power in the shoulders and neck, and wanted to represent that is as minimal of a context as possible.

‘Brick Wall’ is a repost. I used it for ‘Camera Made Me Do It’ but I do a lot of street photography, and that was one of those lucky ‘moments’ where I was able to capture a mood on the fly. I love the shot, and I’m glad it’s doing relatively well, but I’m kind of bummed that it’s doing the best, because I’ve been sidetracked by things lately (like building a website) and haven’t been behind the viewfinder nearly as much as I’d like lately.

Uranus
    Participant

It doesn’t…

agreed. It elicited an immediate (as mentioned earlier in the thread) emotional response. I thought it to be a winner.

A lot of the best shots aren’t faring too well. I reckon we need a theme where the difficulty is “no flowers or pets…”. Barring two flowers and one cat, those shots did zilch for me…

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 167 total)
  • The topic ‘11-17-10 – Artistic Bent’ is closed to new replies.