11-24-10 – Farktography Classic: Autumn II

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 11-24-10 – Farktography Classic: Autumn II

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Foliage, giant pumpkins, bonfires, etc., take a photo that shows us what Autumn means to you.

Thanks for the theme suggestion, orionid!

ravnostic
    Participant

So, this ‘Autumn’ theme, can there be green grass in the picture, or maybe some snow? What about beachballs or Christmas trees (they go up at WalMart in September, you know.) 💡

Because this theme is just way too straight forward and has generated absolutely no controversy (nor comments) whatsoever. 🙁

Just doing my part. 😆

LeicaLens
    Participant

Controversy? You think we need some controversy?
    OK, then.

Why is this called theme “Autumn”? I thought “Fall” was the preferred nomenclature in the USA.
    Why is this site now pandering to British English? Was the American Revolutionary War fought for nothing?
    Was Mel Gibson’s historically improbable movie all a sham?

Answers! I demand answers!

Seriously, though, I was a little surprised to see the theme called “Autumn” because I thought “Fall” was more widely used. Surprised, yet at the same time delighted. Our next step is to export a few more letter u’s over there.

ennuipoet
    Participant

Seriously, though, I was a little surprised to see the theme called “Autumn” because I thought “Fall” was more widely used. Surprised, yet at the same time delighted. Our next step is to export a few more letter u’s over there.

Keep your unwanted “U”s out of our endeavours!

DAMNIT! 😀

ravnostic
    Participant

I thought “vacuum” was quite enough, thank youu. And that ‘re’ garbage, as in “We’re going to the theatre”–we’ll have none of that! And they’re fries, not chips. And we bum cigarettes, we don’t scab fags. Am I forgetting anything?

LeicaLens
    Participant

Keep your unwanted “U”s out of our endeavours!

DAMNIT! 😀

They may take our Freedom, but they will NEVER TAKE OUR U’S!!

ravnostic

That theatre/theater, metre/meter thing bugged me as a child. I kept spelling “quarter” as “quartre”. I hate to say this, but the American spelling is at least more consistent on this one.

And don’t you mean “vacuuuum”?

LeicaLens
    Participant

And on a similar note, is U-Man‘s handle a subtle way of showing his support for British-English spelling?

Kestrana
    Participant

I hate calling autumn “fall” tbh. Fall is definitely a slang term. Autumn is my favorite season. Or Auutuumnu. Whatever.

LeicaLens
    Participant

I hate calling autumn “fall” tbh. Fall is definitely a slang term. Autumn is my favorite season. Or Auutuumnu. Whatever.

So you prefer autumn to wintre?

orionid
    Participant

So you prefer autumn to wintre?

Wouldn’t that be prefre?

Aut least it’s not like french wheure youu pronounce the lettre in au coumpletely different spot.

/Her ex boyfriend is Brett Fav-re?

Oh. And this is why I have no respect for british english:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/orionid/3352036855/
    Faggot N' Gravy

U-Man
    Participant

Our next step is to export a few more letter u’s over there.

And on a similar note, is U-Man‘s handle a subtle way of showing his support for British-English spelling?

Damn. You beat me to it.

PandyFarmer
    Participant

I really want to know now what a faggot with gravy is… Leica? I always thought it was a cigarette, though why you’d want meat-flavored sauce on one escapes me.

PandyFarmer
    Participant

I really want to know now what a faggot with gravy is… Leica? I always thought it was a cigarette, though why you’d want meat-flavored sauce on one escapes me.

Edit:
    I mean,
    I really want tou knouw now what a faggot with gravy is… Leica? I always thouught it was a cigarette, though why you’d waunt meat-flavourued sauce on oune escapse me.

LeicaLens
    Participant

Oh. And this is why I have no respect for british english:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/orionid/3352036855/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/orionid/3347530671/

*narrows eyes*
    Yeah, well your “fanny packs” are pretty weird to us Brits.

Damn. You beat me to it.

😆

I really want tou knouw now what a faggot with gravy is… Leica? I always thouught it was a cigarette, though why you’d waunt meat-flavourued sauce on oune escapse me.

First, let me say “Good work” with all the pointless “U”s. In next to no time you’ll be walking into a fish ‘n chip shop and ordering a battered sausage with mushy peas before going to the footy match. Cripes, we might even get you into cricket at this rate!
    Second, I have actually never had faggots in gravy. They are basically just meatballs, made IIRC with pork and pig’s innards. Wiki tells me they are Midlands thing, which would explain a lot. However, Wiki also tells me that in Yorkshire, where I’m from, we apparently call faggots “ducks”, which I have never heard of. In South Yorkshire, though, “duck” is commonly used in a friendly address (especially by older women to younger people), rather like “dude” is in the States. For example, at a fish ‘n chip shop: “Would you like some mushy peas with your battered sausage, duck?”.
    So maybe they are subtly calling everyone a faggot. Hmm….
    The term for a cigarette is “fag”. I am not sure of the origin of the derogatory epithet “fag”, other than that is not used so much in Britain.
    I wonder if it has anything to do with “fags” at British public schools (think posh private schools in the US). A fag was a younger pupil who did unpaid chores for senior pupils, such as cleaning shoes, ironing clothes, using his own arse-cheeks as a toast rack, and so on. You know, everyday stuff.[/quote]

orionid
    Participant

I don’t have my pictures of the Plymouth Hoe on flickr, they’re on facebook.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 68 total)
  • The topic ‘11-24-10 – Farktography Classic: Autumn II’ is closed to new replies.