11-24-10 – Farktography Classic: Autumn II

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 11-24-10 – Farktography Classic: Autumn II

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    LeicaLens
    Participant

What’s the Farktography file size limit?
    I am having a problem, though my pixel sizes are well within limits.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

It’s a fuzzy limit. Technically it’s listed as 200k, but it’s common for images between 150-180k to drop into the ether. It’s safest to keep your images at 100k or less.

LeicaLens
    Participant

Hmm, this is very odd. It’s allowed me to post a picture with a larger image size.
    I was trying with a 147kb picture, which should be fairly safe.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Hmm that is odd. What host are you using and what are the exact pixel dimensions? It could be an issue between the host and Fark maybe…just thinking out loud.

LeicaLens
    Participant

I’m using Flickr.
    The Flickr size was Medium, 387 by 640 (It’s a vertical shot).
    It’s allowing the smaller version of medium.
    Very bizarre, and not a tad frustrating

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Is 147k the file size of your original or of the medium 387×640 size you were trying to post?

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

I’m liking the entries so far, in particular Mopsy, Eden… (the blurry one), and Because I Said So had ones I particularly enjoyed.

Thanks, rav! If you liked those, all of my bees are from that same trip.

And while I echo the sentiments on your fencepost shot, your Golden Toasted Sunset was the one that grabbed my eye first. The leaves are almost like little flames licking up from the bed of stones, aren’t they?

LeicaLens
    Participant

Is 147k the file size of your original or of the medium 387×640 size you were trying to post?

The original. The Flickr size I am trying to post *should* be smaller (smaller dimensions). Compression problem?

LeicaLens
    Participant

I have resized the original, which was the obvious thing to do (I was being dim).
    Should be okay now…

…And no.
    116Kb on the disk is now too big?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

If your original is within the file size limit, post it rather than any smaller versions from Flickr. Because yes, they re-compress for the other sizes, and in doing so, the smaller versions often suffer from file size bloat. This is a bonus in terms of quality, since they’re using high quality compression, but it screws us over for Farktography because it easily exceeds Fark’s file size limit. If your original is beyond Fark’s pixel size limits, you can still post and Fark will resize for you, though obviously image quality may suffer. If it doesn’t have to resize much, it’s usually pretty good, though.

LeicaLens
    Participant

If your original is within the file size limit, post it rather than any smaller versions from Flickr. Because yes, they re-compress for the other sizes, and in doing so, the smaller versions often suffer from file size bloat. This is a bonus in terms of quality, since they’re using high quality compression, but it screws us over for Farktography because it easily exceeds Fark’s file size limit. If your original is beyond Fark’s pixel size limits, you can still post and Fark will resize for you, though obviously image quality may suffer. If it doesn’t have to resize much, it’s usually pretty good, though.

Done it, and it worked!
    I don’t fully understand, but my original was 116kb on the disk, and measured 421 by 680, which I believe is well within the limit?
    Posting at the larger medium (396 by 640) size seemed to send it over the Fark limit.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Yeah, that’s Flickr’s compression at work. It’s high quality which leads to huge file sizes. When posting images from Flickr, be sure to grab the original file, not large or other sizes. The original will be the same file/size that you uploaded, so you’ll know it’s Fark-sized.

LeicaLens
    Participant

Yeah, that’s Flickr’s compression at work. It’s high quality which leads to huge file sizes. When posting images from Flickr, be sure to grab the original file, not large or other sizes. The original will be the same file/size that you uploaded, so you’ll know it’s Fark-sized.

Gotcha. Flickr doesn’t give me an option called “original”, but it is usually included under a different name (either one of the medium sizes or large).

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Ahhh right. You don’t get access to the original files unless you’re a pro user, which really sucks in these instances. I wonder if you could get around that by using the _o.jpg extension (which is what it gives you for originals) instead of the _b.jpg .

LeicaLens
    Participant

Ahhh right. You don’t get access to the original files unless you’re a pro user, which really sucks in these instances. I wonder if you could get around that by using the _o.jpg extension (which is what it gives you for originals) instead of the _b.jpg .

Well I noticed this time that the original file size is given as an option, so as long as I remember what size I posted, I should be ok. In future I will set a size that stands out, such 629 by 472 for horizontal, and something similar for vertical. That way I won’t confuse it with the Flickr options which are always round numbers.

Sorry for all the bother and quickfire questions.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 68 total)
  • The topic ‘11-24-10 – Farktography Classic: Autumn II’ is closed to new replies.