11-24-10 – Farktography Classic: Autumn II

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 11-24-10 – Farktography Classic: Autumn II

Viewing 8 posts - 61 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    sleeping
    Participant

I use Gimp, so I don’t know how to get to the curves tool in Photoshop. But a couple Google searches says it’s “Image -> Adjustments -> Curves” to bring up the tool.

For Photoshop users I’d recommend Layer > New Adjustment Layer > Curves (that way it remains adjustable later, which can be handy)

SilverStag
    Participant

I think what concerns me about layers is that it’s kind of like compositing different exposures, which is too similar to HDR for my tastes. But I’m open to a clarifying discussion (probably should put it on another board/thread, though!). I don’t use a lot of that kind of post processing myself, mostly just curves, contrast, saturation, and unsharp mask.

Your wish is my command.

(Warning, get comfortable before clicking that link) 🙂

mopsy
    Participant

Thanks Choc-Ful-A. I’ll give it a try.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

What Choc-Ful-A said (I use GIMP, too, so not sure where it is in PS). There’s also the levels tool which can tweak things as well, though it can sometimes lead to posterization (loss of tonal range) more easily because it isn’t as fine tuned as the curves tool (though you can posterize with curves too if you tweak it drastically). I typically use curves when processing my RAW files with UFRAW before I even get into GIMP to maintain as much tonal range as possible (you have more available in the RAW image than you do in the jpg once converted).

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Congrats to olavf this week!

olavf
    Participant

Thanks! It took two and a half years, but I’ve finally rounded out my top tens 😀

I wouldn’t have complained if I’d shared this one with Silverstag and his most excellent shot though.

Zero_Exponent
    Participant

Way to go olavf!

orionid
    Participant

orionid – How big was that rocket?

That one was about 5 inches diameter at the payload section and 14 or 16 inches tall.

There were all sorts of contenders that took different approaches to the competition. The rules were that the pumpkin had to be at least 3.5 inches diameter, 3 pound max launch weight including rocket and propellant, longest punpkin hangtime with verifyable recovery wins. That guy went with low altitude, huge parachute. Others went with high altitude small chute. One guy went with high altitude, giant chute, and a note that said “call me if you find this.” Most carried the pumkin as payload, two used it as the front cone. Lots of fun. I just watched this year to get ideas for next.

Viewing 8 posts - 61 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • The topic ‘11-24-10 – Farktography Classic: Autumn II’ is closed to new replies.