12-01-10 – The Song Remains the Same

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 12-01-10 – The Song Remains the Same

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 184 total)
  • Author
    soosh
    Participant

I could learn from you.

Wow, that’s flattering coming from you, but I seriously doubt it. It’s basically the same technique you used for your Kodachrome shot (which came out really well, BTW) and that U-Man used for his psychedelic plastic fork shot back in Forktography.

The only real trick was creating the artwork transparency. I used MS Expression Design, but Illustrator or any other vector graphics app would also work. From there, I laser printed it onto some transparency film I’ve had lying around for 10+ years from when I had to teach a class in a room that still used an overhead projector. I had to run it through twice to get it dark enough and fortunately my old printer had good enough registration that I didn’t get an offset image.

Check out my bees for alternate backgrounds. I almost went with the purple one so I could use the “with a taste of Purple Haze” byline.

Having said all that, if you do have any questions about it, ask away.

My original idea with this one was to have a completely transparent six, shine a light thru it and then reflect it off a couple of mirrors to invert it horizontally and vertically so that it turned into a 9, but I couldn’t get that to come out decently.

That was really spectacular. I mean really.

lokisbong
    Participant

Yeah somebody said you can’t go wrong with legos…I have one doin pretty good and the one I worked the hardest to get right is bombing by comparison. My most popular picture this week is the shot I only did twice before I had the shot I was going for. I figured the Meet the Beatles picture would do better. Is it just that most farkers don’t remember the album cover or did I just suck at recreating it? It took 27 tries to get it that close. I even had to shave half the face off of one because he was way too angry looking and had to shave the monocle off of another and give him two regular eyes. just glad they make a fine tip sharpy pen. I did have a lot of fun with this theme too.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Thanks much, soosh! Again, that really means a lot coming from you.

I was actually concerned that I might catch some flak with that one because the photographic side of it was so simple.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

As long as you actually took a photo, you were in the clear. Doesn’t have to be complex, just not a screen capture or scan 🙂

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Oh, and I forgot to mention–I have a dance gig tonight, so I won’t be home to do the Fark thread congrats until kinda late. Don’t worry, I will get to them (and it looks like it’s too close to call again this week, anyway).

nobigdeal
    Participant

Oh, and I forgot to mention–I have a dance gig tonight, so I won’t be home to do the Fark thread congrats until kinda late. Don’t worry, I will get to them (and it looks like it’s too close to call again this week, anyway).

U-man, U-man or U-man… LOL! 😀

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Well, SilverStag‘s in there too 😉

orionid
    Participant

hey don’t feel bad (not that you do), my favorite and one i thought would do well got the least votes. when i picked up that copy of rolling stone to do the entry i was a bit discouraged by the cover picture but then realized it would work well. either i was wrong because 1) i did a bad job on the execution 2) too few knew the song 3) the voters really are swine before whom we cast our pearls. it’s most likely 1 or 2 since many voted for some good entries even if they weren’t mine.

someone here said you can’t go wrong with legos and that one did the best — so thanks for that.

i could tell by the song titles that my taste in music is outside the current norm and there aren’t enough older farkers for me to score a stunning upset. but i had more fun with this contest than many others so there’s that.

FWIW, when I was scrolling through, my “out-loud” comments were the usually “ooh nice” “that’s pretty” or “oh, neat” but yours definitely garnered a “YES! DR. HOOK FTW!” and some strange looks from the people I was hanging out with.

/and U-Man‘s Ring of Fire got the “why didn’t I think of that?”
    //and Elsinore‘s damn shiny disco balls is STILL stuck in my head.

SilverStag
    Participant

Well, SilverStag‘s in there too 😉

Which kind of surprised me: that’s a copy of a 34-year-old Ektachrome 64 transparency, that I threw in there to have a round 3 entries. I actually think I took that in either Orlando or Jacksonville, FL.

ennuipoet
    Participant

I am exceedingly pleased my very self referential, utterly meaningless to anyone else yet intensely personal Patty Griffin shot broke double digits. It was one of those things that I could care less about the votes, I just wanted to do it. Thanks to any and all who threw a vote for it.

Everyone this week brought their “A” game, epic thread was epic.

Curious
    Participant

but yours definitely garnered a “YES! DR. HOOK FTW!” and some strange looks from the people I was hanging out with.

i was going to do “queen of the silver dollar” but couldn’t make it look right so fell back on “the rose”. glad to see there are a few dr hook fans here besides me.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

//and Elsinore‘s damn shiny disco balls is STILL stuck in my head.

If it’s any consolation, it’s still stuck in my head, too.

/I’m welcome.

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

There are lots of photos I really like this week, but I wanted to mention how much I like the composition of Mopsy‘s Stars and Stripes in particular. I really like how the way it’s cropped runs the diagonal line of the flag right into the top left corner of the image.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Congrats to U-Man this week!

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Awesome job on the VH repro, U-Man! You might wanna get her to switch to lites, though – those reds are awfully harsh. 😆

While I’ve seen a handful of mine slide out of the top ten at the end, this is the first time I’ve ever had one slide up into the top ten at the last minute, so I’m pretty happy (and quite suprised) with that.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 184 total)
  • The topic ‘12-01-10 – The Song Remains the Same’ is closed to new replies.