12-08-10 – Optimus Prime

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 12-08-10 – Optimus Prime

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 153 total)
  • Author
    Curious
    Participant

this may be a good time to unlimber the rolleiflex. or the XD-11 with the 50mm but i never was to fond of that length.

LeicaLens
    Participant

The way I understand it, they don’t all have to be taken with the same prime, only that they are taken at a time when you are shooting only with that prime.
    Is this correct?

That’s right.

Lovely, thanks.

*Drools over his collection of old OM primes*

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

OK, I’m confused now. If they don’t all have to be taken at the same focal length, what’re the restrictions for those of us who are primeless?

LeicaLens
    Participant

OK, I’m confused now. If they don’t all have to be taken at the same focal length, what’re the restrictions for those of us who are primeless?

I think the idea is to go out with only one prime (or zoom fixed at one focal length only) and take pictures like that.
    If I am using my OM cameras, I have a range of primes to choose from. If I keep changing primes mid-shoot, then I can’t use those shots for this contest.
    If, however, I go out one day with a 50mm lens, shoot a roll of film, get it developed and stuff, then I can use shots taken from that film.
    It would be fine to go out the following day with just a 85mm lens, say, shoot a roll, and pick a shot from that roll to go into the contest.

That is the way I am interpreting it.
    For those with zoom lenses only, it’s going to require a lot of self control.
    Actually, for multi-prime users, it’s going to require a lot of self control.
    And honesty.

orionid
    Participant

Actually, for multi-prime users, it’s going to require a lot of self control.
    And honesty.

Yeah…. I’m leaning towards using stuff from the antiques, since I know they didn’t change. Everything else, I’m having to look at other shots from the same shoot to see whether or not I switched primes around. I do know I’ve got several occasions where I was armed with only the 24mm, but all of my macro-hunts, I usually carried the 24 with in case I saw something worth going wide.

LeicaLens
    Participant

Yeah…. I’m leaning towards using stuff from the antiques, since I know they didn’t change. Everything else, I’m having to look at other shots from the same shoot to see whether or not I switched primes around. I do know I’ve got several occasions where I was armed with only the 24mm, but all of my macro-hunts, I usually carried the 24 with in case I saw something worth going wide.

Yup, to make sure I stay within the rules, I am going back to film archives when I only had my Canon AV-1 with 50mm lens, or when I specifically went out with one lens to practise with it, and have labelled the folder as such.
    I might take my DSLR out with my 25mm prime just for this contest, but otherwise I won’t be able to archive-dive into my digital stuff.

ravnostic
    Participant

Just catching up. I guess I’m okay to use shots on different expeditions, so long as they are taken when I was using just one focal length. ?

This doesn’t make much difference to me; as I don’t have a prime, the only time I go shooting as if I did is with the telescope where I haven’t a choice, and other than the obig. lunar shots, which are nice, but *yawn*, I don’t think I have one worth posting (for this contest, at least.)

I’ll have to make weekend expeditions for fresh material. If I don’t get roped into going to Tucson (again, *yawn*], I’ll plan to head up north, kill a couple birds with one stone for Winter II and Season’s Greetings, perhaps.

orionid
    Participant

Take pictures with one focal length in Tuscon.

ravnostic
    Participant

Take pictures with one focal length in Tuscon.

Clearly, you’ve never been to Tucson. There are nice places to photograph in the areas surrounding, but not so much within. I’d be within.

//But yes, I’ll take my camera even to Tucson, if that’s the way the wind blows (and it will blow, and hard, if I havta go.)

orionid
    Participant

You’re correct in that I’ve never been to Tuscon. Or anywhere desert southwest for that matter. And a quick flickr search for tuscon reveals alot of blah, but burried within that blah appears to be a dirty, gritty city begging to be shot in black and white by someone with a keen eye.

ravnostic
    Participant

You’re correct in that I’ve never been to Tuscon. Or anywhere desert southwest for that matter. And a quick flickr search for tuscon reveals alot of blah, but burried within that blah appears to be a dirty, gritty city begging to be shot in black and white by someone with a keen eye.

We’ll see what I can do, if I havta do it, orionid

//but seriously, I’d rather not hafta.

///If I could get some good people shots, without getting accosted, it might be worth it. Weird people. Like in a John Waters movie. They’re everywhere down there. Capturing that would be worth the trip.

Given the right travel guides, you’d love the desert sw. It’s a much different way of looking at landscapes, big or small. The devil, in the desert, is in the details.

QueenBee
    Participant

OK..I’m kind of technologically stupid when it comes to photography terms. I have a p&s so what you’re saying I need to do is basically turn it on and shoot without hitting the zoom or macro button? or zoom and stay there? Would it make more sense, as to not be tempted, to use the macro function since once it’s on there’s no zooming to be done? I’m confused!! :S

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

I think you’ve got it, QueenBee, or at least that’s the way I’m interpreting it – 3 at the same zoom, not necessarily macro, although it may be difficult to repeat the exact same zoom on a P&S if you deviate from the default (or min/max) and turn it on and off for different locations/times.

mopsy
    Participant

I was thinking of using my husband’s Canon 50mm lens from the 1960s, but it is not interchangeable with my camera. So I planned on using my macro. I thought that would be okay, but after reading the latest comments, maybe not.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

If your macro is fixed focal length (or you keep it at the same focal length for all 3 shots), I think you’re good to use your macro, Mopsy.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 153 total)
  • The topic ‘12-08-10 – Optimus Prime’ is closed to new replies.