12-08-10 – Optimus Prime

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 12-08-10 – Optimus Prime

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 153 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Go shooting with a single prime lens (or set your zoom to a single focal length and don’t change it).

Theme suggestion kudos to sleeping!

ravnostic
    Participant

Do I macro with the Darlot, or go prime-focus with the telescope ( I’m thinking terrestrial perhaps)? Decisions, decisions…And it’s not a theme from which you can readily draw from the archives (I suppose you could look at the exif data).

Curious
    Participant

glad for the second part of the description because i only have one prime lens and it’s for my film camera. this one is going to take some thought.

lokisbong
    Participant

I can actually follow the rules and not worry about the staying in one focal length now that I bought a prime lens from the pawn shop. I will say a prime lens makes you think way more to get the shot you want.or at least move more.

kashari
    Participant

So if you’re submitting 3 shots, do they all need to be taken with the same lens or focal length?

sleeping
    Participant

So if you’re submitting 3 shots, do they all need to be taken with the same lens or focal length?

That wasn’t my intention, but please see this note from the original thread:

Well, I didn’t want to suggest a bunch of rules that would wind up being completely unenforceable, but the idea was to encourage people to go out and shoot with only a single focal length available to them, not “images that happened to be shot with a prime lens”, if that makes sense.

kashari
    Participant

That wasn’t my intention, but please see this note from the original thread:

Well, I didn’t want to suggest a bunch of rules that would wind up being completely unenforceable, but the idea was to encourage people to go out and shoot with only a single focal length available to them, not “images that happened to be shot with a prime lens”, if that makes sense.

Derrrr, now I remember reading that before when I voted for it, thanks! I didn’t even think about going back to read the original threads as the new themes come up. 😳

ravnostic
    Participant

I was wondering about cropping on this one; it seems to me that cropping (esp at fark resolution/filesizes) is a form of ‘zoom’ in this case, and with the point being a prime lens (or equiv.) contest, that might want to be discouraged. But then I figured who would know for sure and who’d wanna enforce it and it all became a clusterfark in my head and it’s had been a long night at work and now I’m home and tired and all I want to do is have a couple of beers and scour the forums for a few run-on sentences to write, so nevermind.

//but I’m planning on ‘no cropping’ as a personal rule.

SilverStag
    Participant

Well, I only have one prime lens, so this is an easy choice for me 🙂

orionid
    Participant

I used a zoom for the first time in months for thanksgiving.

LeicaLens
    Participant

We can use photos taken with different primes on different occasions, right?
    For example, I have a few that I took a couple of months ago when went armed only with my 135mm.
    Today I was out with only a 50mm, and if I get the film developed in time, I have some I may want to use. That would be alright, no?
    The way I understand it, they don’t all have to be taken with the same prime, only that they are taken at a time when you are shooting only with that prime.
    Is this correct?

Uranus
    Participant

We can use photos taken with different primes on different occasions, right?
    For example, I have a few that I took a couple of months ago when went armed only with my 135mm.
    Today I was out with only a 50mm, and if I get the film developed in time, I have some I may want to use. That would be alright, no?
    The way I understand it, they don’t all have to be taken with the same prime, only that they are taken at a time when you are shooting only with that prime.
    Is this correct?

the way i read it, it’s about the focal length. Read that way it would have to be 3 shots with the same prime – either 135, or 50mm

/adds to confusion

Curious
    Participant

sleeping‘s post on the 25th seems to confirm that. perhaps he will comment further.

sleeping
    Participant

Is this correct?

That’s right.

ennuipoet
    Participant

I’m really looking forward to this, I am going to use shots from my Yashica Mat 124. Mmmmm, tasty Yashinon 80mm goodness!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 153 total)
  • The topic ‘12-08-10 – Optimus Prime’ is closed to new replies.