12-08-10 – Optimus Prime

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 12-08-10 – Optimus Prime

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 153 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Yes, a fixed focal length macro will be fine.

U-Man
    Participant

Hey Mopsy, obviously, the macro is good for macro pics. But I like using mine for portraits, too. It has a nice narrow depth of field which make the background nice and fuzzy. Maybe you can get Popsy out on the deck and take some portraits.

(yes, people, that really is his nickname. 🙂 )

U-Man
    Participant

I’ve been shooting with my 50 mm yesterday and today. I really don’t like being restricted with my lens choices. I understand the purpose of the theme – I just don’t like it. 🙁

ravnostic
    Participant

I’ve been shooting with my 50 mm yesterday and today. I really don’t like being restricted with my lens choices. I understand the purpose of the theme – I just don’t like it. 🙁

I hear this. You’d think this would be easy, but I’m having a difficult time, and I’m only in the planning stages.

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

I shot photos for this contest yesterday and yeah, it was a challenge not to change the zoom. But I expected that when I read the theme description so I chalked it up to learning from the contest. What I didn’t expect happened later. While working on the photos I took to check the contrast, color balance, etc… I found I needed to crop the images. That’s allowed in general, but is it for this contest? I hope so, but with a high enough resolution camera, it’s entirely possible to crop a tightly zoomed shot out of a very wide angle original.

So I thought I’d at least pose the question here. Do normal cropping rules apply to this contest?

U-Man
    Participant

It was discussed but I didn’t see a firm ruling. My $0.02 is to use restraint with the crop tool but not outlaw it. I might want to do a square crop or an elongated portrait or landscape type crop.

SilverStag
    Participant

I guess everything I took before 2000 is eligible for this contest, since that’s when I got my first zoom lens.

ennuipoet
    Participant

I hear this. You’d think this would be easy, but I’m having a difficult time, and I’m only in the planning stages.

Shoe leather zoom! Run up to the subject for close up, run away from the subject for wide angle! 😉

One of the reasons I am using the TLR is lens options are pretty much what is on the camera. I DO have a bayonet telephoto, but the image quality is terrible.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

In the long long ago before zoom lenses were around, you zoomed with your feet 😉

Also, I’m not sleeping, and he can chime in on this, but in my mind, cropping completely defeats the purpose of this theme. It serves as a digital zoom, and it exactly the way digital in-camera zoom functions. Personally, I’d support a “no cropping” difficulty on this one.

lokisbong
    Participant

What if you are as close as the lens will focus but there is just a bit o distracting stuff at one edge of the picture? Please tell me a me a small amount of cropping is ok. just 10% is all I want removed. other wise I will have to chose one new picture for this. I have all three picked out but a no cropping ruling would kill my favorite of the three.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I’ll defer to sleeping on that one.

sleeping
    Participant

I don’t think it’s worth adding that (no cropping) as a difficulty – I know I have some older stuff on the “maybe” list and I couldn’t tell you if it has been cropped or not at this point. But I would discourage people from going overboard with it….

U-Man
    Participant

Els, I respectfully disagree that cropping completely defeats the purpose. The description states, “Go shooting with a single prime lens.” In my opinion, minor cropping doesn’t negate the fact that I used a prime.

Again, I’m not talking about only using 25% of the initial frame. I’m talking about a square crop or skinny crop. Perhaps something like this –>

Original – http://photos.imageevent.com/ulle17/farkphotoshop/a_2397.jpg

Skinny – http://photos.imageevent.com/ulle17/farkphotoshop/a_2397-skinny.jpg

I consider a no-crop rule a pretty late change in the description/difficulty.

But really, that’s just my opinion. I’m not married to it and won’t even be miffed (Miffed! I say!) if we elect to not crop. 🙂

sleeping
    Participant

I understand the purpose of the theme

You mean gratuitous Transformers references? 😀

U-Man
    Participant

Damn. I coulda just been quiet. 🙄

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 153 total)
  • The topic ‘12-08-10 – Optimus Prime’ is closed to new replies.