12-08-10 – Optimus Prime

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 12-08-10 – Optimus Prime

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 153 total)
  • Author
    Curious
    Participant

I know when I start talking photography talk around the Cellphoners (my personal term for those whose idea of photography is cellphone snaphots) their eyes start to glaze over, some begin to drool helplessly while others squirm desperately to get away from me before I start using terms like “depth of field” or god forbid “chromatic abberation”.

this has been true ever since the brownie hawkeye. the “did it come out” crowd of photographers have been my bane for years.

/pet peeve

lokisbong
    Participant

Well I am glad it’s not just that my pictures suck this week. I can understand lack of interest. I have a lot of friends and family who just look at me funny if I mention photography or farktography even. Some of them do use their cellphone cameras but most don’t even do snapshots. Probably why I get so few votes each week. No dedicated following. Well that and maybe I am not the great photographer I wish I was and try to be.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

I hear ya, loki. I’ve tried to get my wife, older kids, and friends to register & vote, but they generally just aren’t interested enough to bother.

soosh
    Participant

hey Elsinore, there’s a Demotivationals poster posted in the thread. Don’t know if you want to remove it or not.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Yeah, saw that and left it alone initially cause it wasn’t envotinated, but it’s been seen and had its chance at lulz now, so I’ll remove it.

zincprincess
    Participant

I just have ONE question for everyone who posted a macro/close shot of their cats (Rav!) howinhell did you convince the cat to stay still long enough to compose and shoot? My cats SEE a camera and they become furry blurs.

Fat Load is really lazy so if you catch him in a laying about mood, he won’t get up for anything but a plate of tuna. Our other cat is scared of his own shadow so there are far fewer pictures of him.

orionid
    Participant

What’s up with the voters this week? We’re a full 360 votes down from the last-6-weeks’ votes average for this point in time.

And orionid, how’d you do the vignetting in your Native Spirit? Is that a “feature” of the Holga or did you take specific action to create it? Either way, I really like it.

It’s falloff from the holga lens. IIRC, it was U-Man or NBD that said Holga’s are so bad, they’re good. Each one seems to have it’s own little quirks, but if you cruise flickr, you’ll see that holgas seem to have all manner of light leaks, flare, falloff, and other “unwanted” effects. Mine (before I chopped it up) was mostly prone to falloff/vignetting.

ennuipoet
    Participant

IIRC, it was U-Man or NBD that said Holga’s are so bad, they’re good. Each one seems to have it’s own little quirks, but if you cruise flickr, you’ll see that holgas seem to have all manner of light leaks, flare, falloff, and other “unwanted” effects. Mine (before I chopped it up) was mostly prone to falloff/vignetting.

I was out shooting with my Yashica over the Summer when some girl asked me about it. I told her what it was and she says: “Oh, it’s like a Holga!” I looked at her for a moment and said “No, it’s nothing like a Holga, this…is a good camera”. I don’t think she really understood.

U-Man
    Participant

But given this is Farktography, it’s equally likely (and perhaps more) to be the phase of the moon, the alignment of the planets, fruitcake poisoning, El Nino, holiday hangovers, or a butterfly flapping its wings in South America.

‘snot me; I haven’t poisoned anyone. Lately.

That’s funny. I chuckled.

I just have ONE question for everyone who posted a macro/close shot of their cats (Rav!) howinhell did you convince the cat to stay still long enough to compose and shoot? My cats SEE a camera and they become furry blurs.

My older cat runs away from me at first sight of my camera. As I have said before, that started with the “First Person Shooter” theme when I tried this pic with him as the subject. He was smarter and faster than the girl-child. http://photos.imageevent.com/ulle17/fark/Shooter_2156.jpg

However, we got a kitten a few weeks back and she loves everything. Pretty much everything can be a toy. I hope she doesn’t grow out of that too fast.

Here’s her page – http://www.ullepics.com/v/Miss+Maisy/

LeicaLens
    Participant

Blimey, it is a quiet one this week. I just cast my votes and was amazed to see how few votes some really great pictures had garnered.
    Lowest. Voting. Evah?

EdenLiesObscured
    I love the picture of your boxer bouncing off the tree. Is she (?) always that barmy?

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Blimey, it is a quiet one this week. I just cast my votes and was amazed to see how few votes some really great pictures had garnered.
    Lowest. Voting. Evah?

Not quite, but it’s looking to be in the lower 1/3. The lowest vote count ever was “Pinhole Camera” on 3-Dec-08 with 333 votes cast.

This contest is at 954 with a bit more than a day left. The average for the last 6 contests at this point in time is 1522, but there’ve been 70 contests with fewer than 954 total, including 5 this year:

Date        Theme                Votes

2010-07-21 These Foolish Games 836
    2010-05-26 Kid at Heart 739
    2010-04-21 Potent Potables 672
    2010-03-24 Pan Fried 716
    2010-03-03 Something's Mising 772
    orionid
    Participant

Lowest. Voting. Evah?

Not quite, but it’s looking to be in the lower 1/3. The lowest vote count ever was “Pinhole Camera” on 3-Dec-08 with 333 votes cast.

This contest is at 954 with a bit more than a day left. The average for the last 6 contests at this point in time is 1522, but there’ve been 70 contests with fewer than 954 total, including 5 this year:

Date        Theme                Votes

2010-07-21 These Foolish Games 836
    2010-05-26 Kid at Heart 739
    2010-04-21 Potent Potables 672
    2010-03-24 Pan Fried 716
    2010-03-03 Something's Mising 772

I had an idea for a data string a while back that I suggested to Schnee, that I think would be neat to see.

Basically, I figured the overall vote drive is driven by the number of casuals, and the way to find any truth in that would be by creating an algorithm as such:

Create a list, sort of like the “active farktographers” on the FSM. Use some sort of criterion to determine “regular” maybe participation in 8 of the last 15 contests or something. Have the list moving, so for any given contest, you can see who the “regulars” were, and if they participated or not.

Then graph participation of regulars vs. casuals for any given thread. My suspicion is that the threads with a higher ratio of casuals to regulars than the average thread are the ones that coincide with higher vote totals.

This also gave rise to the idea of a chart “full of win” where the top ten contests by average votes per picture would be listed. Then make the matching “full of crap.” Perhaps this could give us slightly better insight than just “total votes” as to what types of themes generate the most activity.

LeicaLens
    Participant

CauseISaidSo
    I’m finding there is far more maths on this site recently than I was lead to believe. I was told there would be no maths 😉

I was surprised to see that this contest has got nearly a thousand votes (probably over 1000 by now). It really didn’t feel like it looking at the votes.
    /and thanks for all the statistics and statisticy stuff. Very impressive.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Well, best pay attention then, LeicaLens, ’cause there will be a quiz later. And did I mention I grade on a curve? (Always wanted to turn the tables on a teacher :))

But seriously, thanks for the thanks – glad to know I’m not the only one who finds it interesting. And I always get a chuckle out of y’alls use of maths (plural). Didn’t they teach you in Englishes class that it was singular? 😆

orionid: Very interesting. I suspect you’re right. Jack and Suzy see a theme they’ve got the perfect picture for and enter it, then let their friends and family know about it, who then end up voting for others as well. They then disappear into the sunset until the next perfect theme comes along. Or as the data seems to indicate, most of them disappear forever. I’ve got 5596 unique entrants in my database and only 411 of those have entered more than 10 contests and 3211 (57%) have entered only one.

I’ll add your ideas to my features list – thanks!

And finally, it looks to be safe to congratulate Elsinore, so congrats!

ravnostic
    Participant

Elsinore is back on top this week…congratulations!!

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 153 total)
  • The topic ‘12-08-10 – Optimus Prime’ is closed to new replies.