12-08-10 – Optimus Prime

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 12-08-10 – Optimus Prime

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 153 total)
  • Author
    U-Man
    Participant

I understand the purpose of the theme

You mean gratuitous Transformers references? 😀

I don’t get it. Does that make me a dork? (or as my girls might say – dorkier?)

ravnostic
    Participant

I’d asked about cropping early on, and said I wasn’t for it, but I can see a crop on one axis only as being fair game. That maintains the width of the frame in at least one direction, as a standard.

But I agree with U-man, it’s late in the game for a change.

//still sticking with my idea of not cropping my shots.

///still stuck on the ideas for the actual shots part.

SilverStag
    Participant

Some of mine are cropped from 2:3 to 4:5 ratio, which is what rav is talking about up above there, I think. I think that’s about the limit, though.

sleeping
    Participant

I understand the purpose of the theme

You mean gratuitous Transformers references? 😀

I don’t get it. Does that make me a dork? (or as my girls might say – dorkier?)

The opposite, I think….

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimus_Prime_(Transformers)

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

This occurred to me today: There’s nothing in the description that says you have to submit any particular number of entries, just that they should all be shot with a prime/equal zoom. So technically, one could interpret that as a “submit a single shot of anything”, wide-open contest, right? That doesn’t seem to be in the spirit of the theme, so perhaps you want to specify a two-entry minimum in the description?

Not asking for myself – I’ll either be all in or all out.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Els, I respectfully disagree that cropping completely defeats the purpose. The description states, “Go shooting with a single prime lens.” In my opinion, minor cropping doesn’t negate the fact that I used a prime.

The idea was to limit yourself to a particular lens/focal length, and that lens/focal length yields a particular field of view. Cropping means you’re changing the apparent field of view. You may as well put a zoom on and zoom to whatever field of view you’d prefer; you’re essentially doing that after-the-fact by cropping.

I consider a no-crop rule a pretty late change in the description/difficulty.

We’ve clarified and limited things on Sunday before. But if sleeping‘s ok with it, then it’s decided. In lieu of an outright no-crop rule, I think we need at least a percentage (say, 5-10%). If we allow significant cropping, we may as well scrap the theme and say anything goes for the week.

LeicaLens
    Participant

If the idea is to shoot with a prime, then I think allowing cropping defeats the purpose somewhat (your feet are your zoom). That said, it’s going to be hard to police, especially light cropping, which means that it’s up to the integrity of each Farker. I know, I know, Farker and integrity aren’t often two words you will find together, unless separated by “complete lack of”, but there you go.

I say that realistically minimal cropping is going to have to be allowed.
    However, each 1% of the picture cropped will result in a forfeit of one vote… 😉

orionid
    Participant

Now, see, I’m of the mindset of allowing cropping. For example, with a studio-style shot, I’ll use a prime, adjust the camera position to get the desired angle and perspective, take the shot, and then crop it because nobody wants to see my halogen lights, orange extension cords, flash falloff or a curious cat sticking his nose into the edge of the frame to see what’s going on in his usual lounging spot.

olavf
    Participant

I’ve been shooting with my 50 mm yesterday and today. I really don’t like being restricted with my lens choices. I understand the purpose of the theme – I just don’t like it. 🙁

I took my 50mm to.a.parade. Yesterday. I kind of enjoyed the challenge, but it was certainly that.
    /I don’t know that I’ll use three from there, but I may. I’ve gone out with just the 50mm on before, but I’m not sure I want that degree of difficulty to my archive-diving 😛

In other news, I don’t have a problem with light cropping. Getting rid of that spurious elbow or wire doesn’t detract from the contest at all IMO. I will say that a 25+% or whatever crop is outside the spirit of the contest though, and anything that was obviously cropped to a high degree probably wouldn’t get my vote.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Now, see, I’m of the mindset of allowing cropping. For example, with a studio-style shot, I’ll use a prime, adjust the camera position to get the desired angle and perspective, take the shot, and then crop it because nobody wants to see my halogen lights, orange extension cords, flash falloff or a curious cat sticking his nose into the edge of the frame to see what’s going on in his usual lounging spot.

But why not position your camera so that extraneous stuff wasn’t in your shot? Particularly for a contest that calls for you to zoom with your feet rather than a zoom lens?

orionid
    Participant

But why not position your camera so that extraneous stuff wasn’t in your shot? Particularly for a contest that calls for you to zoom with your feet rather than a zoom lens?

Because that would change the perspective, especially when shooting wide.

linguine
    Participant

I think youre underestimating the power of cats.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Because that would change the perspective, especially when shooting wide.

Then you should move the extraneous stuff from your field of view 😛

olavf
    Participant

Then you should move the extraneous stuff from your field of view 😛

I think youre underestimating the power of cats.

😉

mopsy
    Participant

I have two of my entries and I did not crop. Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 153 total)
  • The topic ‘12-08-10 – Optimus Prime’ is closed to new replies.