12-16-09 – White

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 79 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Photos with a dominant white theme. Difficulty: No black & white/grayscale.

Thanks to bucky_bacon for the theme suggestion!

justkat
    Participant

Okay… I’m a little confused… are we talking pictures that are predominately white or where something white is clearly the subject? There is — or can be — a significant difference between the two. It’s difficult to make something that is predominantly white also be the subject, because in almost every instance the eye will automatically be drawn towards whatever is not white; it’s how our brains work.

It’s been my feeling in the color contests in the past that the color has to be the focus of the picture, but not that it necessarily had to be, say, 85% of the picture, to pull a percentage out of my ass, so to speak. 😛

Anyway, thoughts please? I have some ideas for this contest, but they work for the “subject” orientation rather than the “predominant” orientation. 😉

lokisbong
    Participant

I plan on trying both ends of the scale I think.

justkat
    Participant

I plan on trying both ends of the scale I think.

I just asked “Coffee or tea?” and you said “Yes.” 😉

OR question! HELP! heehee

lokisbong
    Participant

In the Yellow contest my best shot was 100% yellow. it is still in my top five entries ever.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Either interpretation would work for “dominant white,” as for all other color themes. The color itself will present its own challenges for the exact reasons you mention, though.

U-Man
    Participant

My interpretation matches Elsinore’s. Photograph something that says ‘white’. That could be the primary color in the pic (snow) or just the subject (white shoes with dark dress pants 🙂 ).

orionid
    Participant

Albany weatherman: “Two to four inches of snow for this region right here….”

God: “I like eight to ten inches better….”

As soon as I convince myself it’s a good idea to leave my nice warm house, I’m going hunting for photos.

U-Man
    Participant

God: “I like eight to ten inches better….”

That’s what she said.

/bu-dum tssshhhh. Tip your waitress.

Kestrana
    Participant

The cold weather here caused a water main to break under the house next door to mine. We’re not even expecting snow until Saturday or Sunday.

U-Man
    Participant

That’s waaaaaaaay better than “the cold weather caused a water main to break under my house.”

/happened to me this summer.
    //would totally suck for all concerned at these temps

Kestrana
    Participant

You’re right it could have been a lot worse but I think I was most irritated because I overslept and missed the afternoon light where they’re tearing down a roller coaster at the fairgrounds and I wanted to go take pictures of it.

U-Man
    Participant

sleeping in the afternoon?

thepostess
    Participant

sleeping in the afternoon?

You’re just jealous…as am I.

U-Man
    Participant

Oh yeah. Totally. Sleep is precious.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 79 total)
  • The topic ‘12-16-09 – White’ is closed to new replies.