2012 photo projects anyone?

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Farktography Pub and Grill 2012 photo projects anyone?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    olavf
    Participant

I know a number of people do Project365 or something similar, and I’ve heard of a few people with specific goals for the coming year – “I’m going to learn how to _____” type stuff.

What are y’all doing this year, if anything? Photo-a-day? Learn a new style? Figure out how to use a flash?

Here’s mine: I plan on going around and asking anyone and everyone I possibly can the question “Who are you?” and ask for a one-sentence answer. Then I’m taking portraits based on that answer. Friends, family, Farkers, no one will be safe… I’m assembling the shots in a Google+ gallery for the moment, but will probably move them to a separate website down the road. Each portrait will be captioned with the person’s answer, and their first name, so there is a face, a description, and a name to tie the people all together.

The gallery is here: https://plus.google.com/photos/113330053950020592701/albums/5688619015693219969 with my own answer (some smart-ass challenged me) and a few shots I’ve been able to do in the week since I came up with the idea, if anyone is interested.

lokisbong
    Participant

Cool idea. I am just wrapping up my 365 type thing. I might do a project but I still am not sure what would help me most. Any ideas would be cool. I think it should help me learn some new skills or at least get me out with the camera more often. I kinda started slacking on the picture trips once the weather got cold here.

olavf
    Participant

lokisbong Have you considered wandering around your area and exploring? Beatty is not that far down the road and has heaps of photographic material, for example, and from there you’re just a hop away from Death Valley (which is awesome this time of year). I also know there are some roadside spots along highway 266 that have some gorgeously dark skies for doing long exposure shots.

lokisbong
    Participant

I would love to. But I currently do not own a car. All I have is a 50 cc scooter that will do about 25 mph on level ground so even Goldfeild which is only 25 miles away as the crow flies is not a safe option. The restaurant I was working at had to close permanently so I am jobless again for now so getting a car anytime soon is unlikely.

olavf
    Participant

Suckage. I’m sorry to hear that, man :/

How about doing a ‘my town’ series and really, really exploring the place you live? Try and pick an area each trip and ferret out all the little hole-in-the wall places, and local bits that even the locals may not know about? But, it looks to me like there’s a fair amount of older architecture, at least dating back to the early 1900’s, that might be worth checking out…

Few other things for starters – you’ve got the mine park there, and some off-road racing events in April…and the dirt track. The latter two would give you a chance to get some really neat high-speed stuff too. (Though the speedway is listed as eight miles out of town)

lokisbong
    Participant

I’ve been to the mining park a few times now. I wish I could visit without the $5 entrance fee. It’s a pretty cool place to visit. I have been trying to get to places not normally seen by the locals but am running out of places that won’t end up with me getting in trouble for trespassing. Most of the cool really old buildings would since I don’t know where to find the people I would need permission from. When the weather was warmer I spent a lot of time out in the desert but I am getting bored with the same scenery shots. I want to go to the races but just have been having problems with the transport part. I have a friend who was racing last year. Maybe I can get a ride with him when race season starts back up.

Plamadude30k
    Participant

I’d like to start something I’ve been thinking about for a while. Learning about the technical aspect of photography is fairly straightforward, but I’d like to start looking into the art side of it more, and I want to start by making a study of composition by looking at the great painters and other visual artists. They were working out all the problems and optimizations of visual art long before the camera was even invented, so that seems like a logical place to start.

Oh, and Olavf, you’ve got me thinking about that question. It’s a tough one to answer!

olavf
    Participant

lokisbong with the access, start with the chamber of commerce, and the local historical society. They’ll probably at least know who to put you in contact with for the older buildings, and the owners may be willing – you never know. If you’ve got the yen to put a website together, that can help a lot towards things as well…

Plama that sounds like a neat place to start. Maybe do an ‘inspired by’ series of paintings or other visual art that catches your eye? I’d like to see something like that.

And yeah, it’s a doozy. Made me think too… but part of my motivation is to highlight the human beings we see every day, and don’t often really think about who they are. I’m an introvert to the core, really, and too often watch but don’t often engage the people even sitting next to me. I’d like to change that personally, and hopefully get people thinking about not only themselves, but the people around them.

And think about the question – I probably won’t make it to HI, but next year, or perhaps later in the year, I may do a self-portrait type side project where I ask photogs to answer it for me as well. Just for fun 🙂

Kestrana
    Participant

Re: mining park – maybe you could volunteer there. That’s also a possible way to get a paid position there or a similar place.

orionid
    Participant

Unless I think of something better, I think I’m just going to do every selfy-sunday on G+, and maybe combine it with trying new styles.

“roll of film a week” sounded good for about 30 seconds, until I remembered that a) sometimes it takes me more than a few months to shoot a whole roll, and even longer to get around to developing it. Maybe “antique-a-week” one shot, on one of the antiques, developed when I get to it.

lokisbong
    Participant

Re: mining park – maybe you could volunteer there. That’s also a possible way to get a paid position there or a similar place.

I believe all they have are volunteer positions there and at the Central Nevada Museum. If I wasn’t needing a paying job I might just do that though. I probably will go see about it this spring.

ravnostic
    Participant

There’s this online contest thingy where every week is a different theme, and you can post up to three pictures. It can be kind of tricky, I’m to understand, as the people who vote are notoriously fickle and such, but I think this year I’m going to try to participate with three pictures every week.

😀

Yoyo
    Participant

I want to travel the US and take stereo 3d pics of Americana. Olde tyme main streets; war memorials from the time when wars were like lung cancer, quick and painful; scenic vistas along the side of the highway; no-tell motels; art-deco and art-nouveau theaters; roadside diners; neon signs; et cetera. I don’t know about the one-a-day schemes, but I’d settle for one pair of keepers each week. And, for what it’s worth, this year is 366.

Yugoboy
    Participant

My project is to do the thing ravnostic mentioned, and maybe winning one of those… winning just one would be sweet. More would be asking too much, I think, given the competition.

zincprincess
    Participant

There’s this online contest thingy where every week is a different theme, and you can post up to three pictures. It can be kind of tricky, I’m to understand, as the people who vote are notoriously fickle and such, but I think this year I’m going to try to participate with three pictures every week.

Funny that you mention this. I was thinking of making this my 2012 project. However, already I’m struggling to find content for the first contest of the year. Gah!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • The topic ‘2012 photo projects anyone?’ is closed to new replies.