7-4-2007 Bugs

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 92 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

I’ve found that the Kodak minilab CDs seem to be generally the worst – low resolution and very compressed – you can pretty much only use them for low resolution web images.

Yeah, the Kodak ones are the ones I used to get. Getting them just wasn’t worth the extra price given the crappy quality. I’m not even sure they scan from negatives. Usually looked more like low res scans from the prints. Ah well, I have a negative and slide scanner now, so it’s all moot.

sleeping
    Participant

I don’t know if the viewer program makes much difference. That scan doesn’t look terrible to me (except that it doesn’t look like they keep their scanner real clean), but it could maybe do with a little levels adjustment?

millera9
    Participant

Took me all damn day, but I finally got the shot I was hoping for.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1176/720810299_c1f3cc8c87.jpg

Not perfect, but it’s the first time I’ve been able to find one of these jumping spiders while carrying the right equipment and then hold its attention long enough to photograph it looking back at me. My one zoom lens vs. his eight. I’m sure he saw me in more detail than I saw him. 🙂

millera9
    Participant

Curious you definitely win the weird bug contest for this week. What in the hell is that thing?!?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I can hardly wait til midnight. This is going to be fun.

heh heh couldn’t wait for midnight, eh? Had to go in for TotalFark? 😉

/Farktography’s addictive, eh?

millera9
    Participant

Had to go in for TotalFark? 😉

/Farktography’s addictive, eh?

Sucked all the rest of us in didn’t it? Welcome QuickSilver!

Elsinore
    Keymaster

That it did, Miller, that it did.

Curious
    Participant

Curious you definitely win the weird bug contest for this week. What in the hell is that thing?!?

thanks, is there a separate prize for that? i’m guessing it’s a wasp of some sort given the body shape but 20 pages of GIS doesn’t return anything that looks like it. some of the parasitic wasps are close but no cigar.

maybe i’ll take it to the new insectarium and ask. could be a new species and i’ll get to name it.

farktography not only was a contributor to totalfark but the main impetus to getting my website running.

Curious
    Participant

I don’t know if the viewer program makes much difference. That scan doesn’t look terrible to me (except that it doesn’t look like they keep their scanner real clean), but it could maybe do with a little levels adjustment?

turns out i already have the fuji fine pix viewer on here but it won’t see the folder that these images are in. have to play with that. the default folder for downloading is my pictures and i don’t use that. the scans on under exposed pictures have some big lines in them and do look dirty overall.

as far as levels go … i try to not post process except for cropping occasionally and saving for web. yeah i know it’s ok but i’m trying to get everything done at the moment of exposure.

sleeping
    Participant

as far as levels go … i try to not post process except for cropping occasionally and saving for web. yeah i know it’s ok but i’m trying to get everything done at the moment of exposure.

IMNSHO, the process of getting a usable image from a negative is always, to some extent, an interpretation – in the old days it would have been a decision by whoever was doing the printing, but now it’s some automatic algorithm in the machine making it’s best guess (unless the operator decides to override it). Quite often, I prefer my judgment to the machine….

Curious
    Participant

yeah i remember printing 🙂 just tried some levels from both the fuji program and an ACDSee one i have. both did make the picture better. there is a fine line in what one can do without introducing artifacts/noise/crap. the fuji is much better at getting rid of noise. or what looks like noise. and you’re right about the auto part. it generally sucks.

over the rest of the weekend i’ll copy another set into the computer and play with them. bet PS would do better than the cheapy “comes with” stuff.

oh and that rest of the weekend is for those of you who have to work tomorrow and friday 🙂

Jakevol2
    Participant

This weeks contest depressed me. I made clear the limitations of my equipment and of my skill as a photographer 🙁

millera9
    Participant

This weeks contest depressed me. I made clear the limitations of my equipment and of my skill as a photographer 🙁

Yeah, ’bout a year ago I was saying things just like that based on contests just like this. Stick with it, and try to have fun and think differently every week. You’ll be kickin’ ass in no time!

powerplantgirl
    Participant

AWESOME contest, all!
    Some cool and creepy shots!

anneb
    Participant

😯

Ok, so I finish my class (which kept me from paying attention to any thing else photo- compressed summer schedule!) then scramble to get ready for half a week with my kid at scout camp. Get back last night, and this morning, I notice, whoa. So many flickr buds with bug pix. Whyzzat? Um..er…

The dragonfly pix on my CF card from camp that haven’t been dumped yet will just have to wait for another time. I did put a couple up, but why I envotenated them I have no clue, it’s almost noon!

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 92 total)
  • The topic ‘7-4-2007 Bugs’ is closed to new replies.