Dedication

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

And I guess I’m concerned with the impression that gives that if there’s a new concurrent site, then there’s no need for the original.

ennuipoet
    Participant

And I guess I’m concerned with the impression that gives that if there’s a new concurrent site, then there’s no need for the original.

For several years Stovepipe Bender’s Honor Roll and Mr. Squirrel’s Scrutinizer ran concurrently for the Photoshops. They both tracked the same information but offered different visions on how the data was presented. (Both, sadly, are now history) Schnee FSM does a stellar job, and I don’t think it COULD be replaced. Any other tracker would supplement, not supplant in my eyes.

Also, there is some movement on Fark itself to create a Fark hosted and maintained contest tracker. (As I understand Drew is looking for a Code Wizard to take on the task from the ranks of Farkers) Thus, we could conceivable see a THIRD method for tracking contests.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I wasn’t aware of that…interesting and useful.

Kestrana
    Participant

I also like the ranking system the way it is now.

The only thing I can think of would be a way to fix OBO voting yourself. Like if there was a way to log in and give up votes to another person. Then we wouldn’t have to bug a mod to fix OBOs.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

**steps up on soapbox and takes a deep breath**

OK, I was saving this speech for the actual launch, but since the topic has come up, let me give it now and I want to be clear about it. The stats site I’m working on is in no way, shape, or form meant to denigrate or take anything away from schnee’s FSM. Neither is it an attempt at online popularity as that’s not my thing either. I’ve got plenty of real-life friends, but none of them are into photography, which is why I enjoy my time here with y’all so much.

This isn’t an “I could do a better job of that” kinda thing, it’s a “wow, that’s really cool, I want to play with it”, “imitation is the sincerest form of flattery” kinda thing. If it weren’t for schnee’s FSM, I probably wouldn’t be participating in Farktography because chasing the stats is part of what makes it fun for me.

I’ll let you in on a little secret – I most likely don’t have the passion for photography that most of you have. I enjoy the heck out of it, I strive to improve myself, and I don’t see myself ever giving it up, but I can’t really say I’m passionate about it. I like it enough to tote a DSLR, tripod and a couple of lenses through Disneyworld, but not enough that I make frequent outings just to photograph things or really have much of a desire to play with antiques or homebrew photography.

If I had to pick something that I’d describe as being a “passion” of mine (aside from family, friends, & faith), it’d probably be finding elegant solutions to software problems. I’ve been in the same software field for 20 years now, so most of the challenge there is just in keeping up with new technology and protocols. I haven’t done much web development or image manipulation, so the new problem domain is what makes it fun for me.

I went public with it early for two reasons: 1) To solicit input from anyone that might want to see something different that I hadn’t thought of; and 2) I sometimes have a problem with following things like this through to completion once I’ve figured out the solution. Once the challenge of figuring out “how” is over, the actual implementation sometimes gets tedious and I abandon it for a new challenge. I didn’t want that to happen here, so I made it public to force myself to finish it.

Having said all of that, if it’s the consensus that I’d be taking away from FSM and no one’s interested in a new stats site, just let me know and I’ll continue my work in private.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

The only thing I can think of would be a way to fix OBO voting yourself.

Already got you covered on that one!

If you follow a somewhat flexible text pattern when posting on behalf of someone else, my stats parser will automatically pick it up and assign it to them. For example, orionid’s posting for you during the autumn contest was automatically assigned to you.

The text pattern to follow looks something like this:

[Posted] (OBO | on behalf of) [farktographer] username

where brackets “[]” denote optional text, parentheses denote sets of choices and the pipe symbol “|” denotes logical or. So, these are all valid designations that will automatically be picked up:

OBO kestrana
    Posted OBO kestrana
    On behalf of kestrana
    Posted on behalf of farktographer kestrana

If any of you read regular expressions (and my sympathies if you do), here’s the regular expression used for matching:

b(((Posteds+)?((OBO(s+of)?)|(ons+behalfs+of)))|(Posteds+for))s+(farktographers+)?(?w+[^fnrtv]*S)
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Having said all of that, if it’s the consensus that I’d be taking away from FSM and no one’s interested in a new stats site, just let me know and I’ll continue my work in private.

I really don’t think it’s the consensus. It’s just been a fear in the back of my mind since the discussion began that there’s potential for it to be construed in such a way, especially by schnee. The community’s pretty tightly knit and supportive of each other, and I just wouldn’t want to see rifts form (not that this would necessarily do that, it’s again just a potential concern in the back of my mind.)

On the subject of OBO’s, would that be occurring during the scraping of the thread, then? So when your script scans the thread and sees OBO/similar wording, it will automagically just re-assign those votes? That would be cool.

Curious
    Participant

**steps up on soapbox and takes a deep breath**

my reading of this discussion is that folks are in favor of what you are doing. your stats will be somewhat different than schnee‘s because two folks wrote the code to gather them. and while you both may have a “best overall” stat the display/layout of it will be different. at least i think so based on what you have shown us so far. and while each may have it’s fans both are appreciated.

BTW that “code” thing makes my brain hurt.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

On the subject of OBO’s, would that be occurring during the scraping of the thread, then? So when your script scans the thread and sees OBO/similar wording, it will automagically just re-assign those votes? That would be cool.

That’s it exactly.

For example, during the autumn contest, orionid posted 3 OBO kestrana (e.g., see http://www.fark.com/cgi/comments.pl?IDLink=5782386&IDComment=65074290#c65074290) and since he used the wording “Posted OBO kestrana” my stats scraper automatically assigned it to kestrana.

As long as the posting text follows one of the formats described previously, it’s automatic. The only exception is that the OBO farktographer must be previously known to the system (i.e., if this is the OBO’s first contest, the scraper won’t create a new entrant record for them).

kashari
    Participant

Re: the averaging and participation stats, I forgot all categories weren’t penalized, so here’s a Roseanna “neevermiiiind” from me.

Back to the rankings, so using the current method, if you were to award actual ribbons to 1st, 2nd & 3rd places, how would you do that using our previous example? Or would rules be changed to where you couldn’t have a tie (no idea how you’d do that, but…)?

Just out of curiosity, what sports have rankings where they skip places? I don’t pay much attention to that kind of stuff, but assumed they used normal/sequential ‘1,2,3….’ rankings.

I also wasn’t thinking the new program would replace the awesome FSM, but just as another number cruncher game for us.

linguine
    Participant

Just out of curiosity, what sports have rankings where they skip places? I don’t pay much attention to that kind of stuff, but assumed they used normal/sequential ‘1,2,3….’ rankings.

Golf, which I’d say is a similar setup for the competition where everyone competes against everyone else at once.

orionid
    Participant

Golf, which I’d say is a similar setup for the competition where everyone competes against everyone else at once.

Likewise, in a hypothetical AFC North where the Steelers and Ravens are both 8-3, and, the Browns are 4-7 and the Bengals are 2-9, then the Steelers and Ravens are tied for first, the Browns are third, and the Bengals fourth.

kashari
    Participant

Likewise, in a hypothetical AFC North where the Steelers and Ravens are both 8-3, and, the Browns are 4-7 and the Bengals are 2-9, then the Steelers and Ravens are tied for first, the Browns are third, and the Bengals fourth.

Ok, well in my 50+ years on this planet, I’ve never heard of ranking anything this way. It’s no wonder I preferred to hang out with the freaks instead of the jocks in school, at least we knew how to count how many joints we had left. 😈

But seriously, it’s not like I come close to winning often enough to worry about this, but I’m trying to understand the non-logic here. So how would you place people in a photography contest where you award ribbons for 1st, 2nd & 3rd. Don’t most of them award each place without skipping, even if they have ties for one place?

Anyway, y’all can keep using your ‘new math’ and I’ll keep my rankings correctly, the way they should be! 😆

Curious
    Participant

while some contests do indeed have a tie for second and then a third place award that person is actually forth. 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd which makes what we do more accurate IMO. it’s the forth highest vote total.

besides i’m older than you so i must be right 🙂

kashari
    Participant

while some contests do indeed have a tie for second and then a third place award that person is actually forth. 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd which makes what we do more accurate IMO. it’s the forth highest vote total.

besides i’m older than you so i must be right 🙂

😆 Ok, I do respect my elders!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 65 total)
  • The topic ‘Dedication’ is closed to new replies.