Dedication

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    staplermofo
    Participant

Ok, I do respect my elders!

Holy crap, you really must be 50+.

kashari
    Participant

Ok, I do respect my elders!

Holy crap, you really must be 50+.

😆

Sonny, in my day, we only had ONE type of stapler and none of those fancy sizes and colors!

It really hit me when I took my grandson to IHOP for breakfast and thought ‘crap, in a few days I’ll qualify for the 55+ senior discount’.

schnee
    Participant

wow, what a terrific thread!

1) I have absolutely no problem with anyone doing a 2nd (or third, or 6th site (4, 5, and 6 all had the same number of votes). CauselSaidSo, knock yourself out. At the very least, additional stats will cause College Football-levels of contention (think BCS).

2) The in-entry OBO handling is a great idea; I sort of meant to get on that myself.

3) With the FSM, anyone can actually enter OBOs, but you need the URL. Since it is un-authenticated it is thereby open to mischief, which is why I only shared the OBO url with a few folks.

Obviously, I haven’t been too involved with the FSM or Farktography in general in over a year. Still has a soft spot in my heart, but other interests have risen. I’ve been mentally toying with an almost complete rewrite of the FSM, but that’s not likely to happen anytime soon. I’m very proud of the FSM and its service to this community and I like the fact that it has seemed to draw folks into the fold. It just keeps quietly doing its thing. Yay me.

I have a couple of ideas where the FSM’s data intersects my current interests, so you may be seeing some interesting things in the future.

I’ll rescan the thread and follow up on individual items as appropriate.

schnee
    Participant

The only problem I have with the current stats setup is that I feel like you are penalized too heavily for:

a) not having been here in the beginning,, and
    b) missing contests.

That’s why I tried to do the All Time and the Recent versions of the stats.

To be sure, I like and appreciate most of what the FSM does for us, I just think a couple of the basic premises should be tweaked a bit.

You are welcome and I welcome anyone who wants to provide those tweaks.

schnee
    Participant

Now on another topic, I’ve seen two requests for less penalties for missing contests, but does anyone have any ideas on how to address that? There are some stats now where particpiation frequency isn’t a factor (e.g., best average standing and best average votes/entry), but I’m not sure how to factor it out of something like most recent highest vote count.

I struggled with that for a while. Obviously, I punted 😛 You could do something like “last 10 that a farktographer entered” but then people (like me) who haven’t entered in a while could start to show up. So then you’ll need to do “last 10 entered, provided at least 5 entries in the last 6 contests” (or something).

My thoughts: the penalty keeps Farktography moving – people don’t want to drop off so they enter. Early on in Farktography, I wanted to provide a bias toward participation instead of quality. Now that Farktography is completely mature and stable (see the Farktographers Over Time report), that bias may not be as needed.

schnee
    Participant

I’d also like to see true place rankings, with ties for the same number of votes and no skipping places.

Heathen!

schnee
    Participant

**steps up on soapbox and takes a deep breath**

OK, I was saving this speech for the actual launch, but since the topic has come up, let me give it now and I want to be clear about it. The stats site I’m working on is in no way, shape, or form meant to denigrate or take anything away from schnee’s FSM.

I don’t take it that way. I really do support this effort

This isn’t an “I could do a better job of that” kinda thing, it’s a “wow, that’s really cool, I want to play with it”, “imitation is the sincerest form of flattery” kinda thing. If it weren’t for schnee’s FSM, I probably wouldn’t be participating in Farktography because chasing the stats is part of what makes it fun for me.

Doing this is a fun project. I hope you do do it better and raise the game.

I went public with it early for two reasons: 1) To solicit input from anyone that might want to see something different that I hadn’t thought of; and 2) I sometimes have a problem with following things like this through to completion once I’ve figured out the solution. Once the challenge of figuring out “how” is over, the actual implementation sometimes gets tedious and I abandon it for a new challenge. I didn’t want that to happen here, so I made it public to force myself to finish it.

Having said all of that, if it’s the consensus that I’d be taking away from FSM and no one’s interested in a new stats site, just let me know and I’ll continue my work in private.

Heck, the FSM began because I was trying to determine (a) what the ‘Liter penalty was and (b) how I could rig the game in my favor as much as possible (I think if you read some of my earliest posts on this forum, you’ll find some of that). Your initial motivation is more honorable than mine.

Please don’t abandon your work.

I’m happy to share my thoughts on Farktography stats. I still have ideas but don’t have the bandwidth to implement them any more. Please ping me directly or just direct my attention to some thread. Like this one.

schnee
    Participant

The only thing I can think of would be a way to fix OBO voting yourself.

Already got you covered on that one!

good stuff deleted

About the only additional thought I’d have here is I would only allow OBOs by someone who is already a Farktographer. Don’t know exactly why I feel that way; probably to reduce mischief

schnee
    Participant

And I guess I’m concerned with the impression that gives that if there’s a new concurrent site, then there’s no need for the original.

I am not worried about this, but I appreciate the implied concern for me.

schnee
    Participant
    CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Oh, and here’s how I do it:

http://www.schneeworld.com/roller/schnee/entry/farktography_statistics_manager

Ah, it was the star anise that I was missing! I knew something wasn’t quite right. 🙂

For those wondering what brought schnee into this thread, seeing his entry in this week’s contest spurred me to PM him and let him know my intentions.

So, I just want to publically say thanks to schnee for being so cool about it. Also, I did invite him to poke his head in here a little more often so that I could have another ally on the techie side. 🙂

Kestrana
    Participant

Would be great if the OBO thing was implemented! I still have 2 contests that need to be fixed and hate to bug people about it.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Would be great if the OBO thing was implemented! I still have 2 contests that need to be fixed and hate to bug people about it.

Ah, well that explains the discrepancy between my counts & FSM in vote totals for you that I noticed recently.

I should have them all attributed correctly, I just need to work on the display side of things. Unfortunately, I’m in the middle of a project that isn’t allowing me too much free time at the moment. Hopefully, soon…

linguine
    Participant

I think I still have the link for fixing those somewhere if you want me to update it.

Kestrana
    Participant

That would be an awesome Christmas present!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 65 total)
  • The topic ‘Dedication’ is closed to new replies.