Open offer for a telescope visit

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Farktography Pub and Grill Open offer for a telescope visit

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Plamadude30k
    Participant

Long story short, I have the night of April 15 on the Kuiper 61″ telescope which might go mostly unused for science observation, and I was wondering if anybody in the Tucson/Phoenix/Southern Arizona area wanted to come up and see a real research telescope (if not an especially big one). It’s on a Friday night, and I’d be happy to drive people up the mountain from Tucson, or lead a car or two up the road. There’s a nice dormitory up there with plenty of rooms if you decide to stay the whole night. I was planning on doing the ultimate pretty picture observing session while up there-results should be similar to (or better than) my recent winning image in the “Stars” contest.

This offer also extends over the summer (until the beginning of August) for any of the nights I may get then (I don’t know yet what I’ll be getting).

Curious
    Participant

thanks, wish i was going to be in the area. behind the scenes stuff is always fun.

ravnostic
    Participant

Keep me posted for Sunday/Monday/Tuesday observations; those I usually could do. I look forward to a night without clouds!!

Plamadude30k
    Participant

Just got my telescope schedule for the next trimester. Here’s a summary:
    Friday, May 27
    Friday, June 17
    Monday, June 20
    Wednesday, June 22
    Friday, June 24
    Thursday, July 14

Also, nearly the entire month of July is open on the schedule, so I’m thinking of requesting a night for eyepiece observing. If anybody here is interested in using a 61″ telescope for eyepiece observing, please let me know what (if any) nights in July could work for you. The restrictions are July 1-4 (already taken), my night on July 14, and it can’t be after the 28th (as I’ll be moving to Hawaii after that). I’m actually house sitting now, so I have a guest room for somebody to stay in, as well as several couches.

kashari
    Participant

This is such a cool opportunity, I’ve never been to one of the observatories yet and wouldn’t have a clue what to do though. I’m going to watch this thread and maybe I can come down there one of these days. Thanks for the offering!

olavf
    Participant

We’d absolutely love to, but we’re not going to make it out to AZ before then :/

ravnostic
    Participant

Can I be pencilled in for June 20th? I trust it won’t be -40 degrees then? 😉

Lovesandwich
    Participant

So badly want to tell work to go away, jump on a plane and fly down to Arizona to check out this scope. 61″ blows the doors off of my little 8″ scope!

Plamadude30k
    Participant

Penciling accomplished, Rav.

Lovesandwich, you ain’t seen nothing until you’ve seen Subaru. 322″ of sheer telescopular goodness. It’s my favorite telescope in the world.

Lovesandwich
    Participant

Lovesandwich, you ain’t seen nothing until you’ve seen Subaru. 322″ of sheer telescopular goodness. It’s my favorite telescope in the world.

I would probably stop breathing.

Lovesandwich
    Participant

I would probably stop breathing.

chupathingie
    Participant

oh wow…. I may be able to get some time off in July, seeing as I just got back from 2 weeks in the rockies. Anyone wanna carpool in from the midwest? Get to Amarillo and I’ll split gas the rest of the way…

Plamadude30k
    Participant

Man, if anybody comes in from out of state I’ll see if I can get you a tour of any of the big telescope facilities or the mirror lab. I kinda feel like the 61″ isn’t impressive enough to warrant a big road trip. Though, I’ve been there almost 80 times now, so maybe my opinion is skewed.

chupathingie
    Participant

You’re talking to a guy with a 4 1/4″ newt in the closet… 61″ is VERY impressive! My sister wanted to go see the Grand Canyon in July, and I think she might get a kick out of this as well… she’s turned into a bit of a science nerd in the past few years 😆

Lovesandwich
    Participant

The other sad part with my 8″ Schmidt – Newt is that it rains so bloody much that I never get to take it out. A 61″ in a dry climate with little cloud cover would blow my mind! July might be doable, gotta check in a with a few people, check about vacation times. Mmmm…big glass!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • The topic ‘Open offer for a telescope visit’ is closed to new replies.