summer sabbatical

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    linguine
    Participant

Just letting everyone know that I’m about to head off to Arizona to work with the student conservation association at organ pipe national monument for the summer where I probably won’t have regular internet access so if I’m not around for many contests over the summer thats why.(but I’ll make sure I pop in from time to time to say hi and make sure there aren’t too many thank god linguine is around comments being posted) If any of the arizona farktographers or anyone else who’s dumb enough to head to arizona in the summer wants to come bake with me in the desert let me know, I should be getting there by the end of June and be there through some point in early or mid September depending on how much funding they have.

orionid
    Participant

Awesome. Take lots of photos so we can travel vicariously through your eyes.

nobigdeal
    Participant

Nice! Have fun!

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Wow, what an awesome opportunity. Enjoy the experience, take lots of photos (like orionid said), and as you enter your xxth straight day of 100+ and start to wonder why you decided this would be a good idea, always remember – at least it’s a dry heat. 😉

Plamadude30k
    Participant

Not sure why you’d want to visit Arizona during the summer, but I hope you have fun. If for some odd reason you have any time off, we should get an Arizona farktographer meeting going up in phoenix.

caradoc
    Participant

I’m in southern Scottsdale, and the summer monsoon is cranking up (official start is June 15th). Should have some decent storms in July. Take a tripod and a cable release. Organ Pipe should see some spectacular lightning this summer.

These were a bit north of there, but should be representative of the possibilities:

(As for it being a dry heat… so is your oven, but you probably don’t stick your head in it.)

ravnostic
    Participant

Not sure why you’d want to visit Arizona during the summer, but I hope you have fun. If for some odd reason you have any time off, we should get an Arizona farktographer meeting going up in phoenix.

This. And I hope I can give caradoc a run for his money this year!

caradoc
    Participant

…I hope I can give caradoc a run for his money this year!

I have been informed by my wife that my stormchasing will be rather limited this summer while I’m helping care for the baby.

kashari
    Participant

I’d be up for that. 🙂 I’d also love to try and learn to photograph lightning, but it’s a little hard to do from my hiding place under the bed. 😉

caradoc
    Participant

I propose setting up a “TBD” meeting in Phoenix. Weather’s going to be unpredictable, of course, but I’m up for a good Friday or Saturday night storm. Predictions show mid-July as higher probability than any earlier.

Plamadude30k
    Participant

My schedule is wide open, barring a few observing nights here and there. I’m in the state/on the continent until July 29.

linguine
    Participant

Phoenix should be a little under 2.5 hours from me and I think I’ll be off every weekend, at least most, so I’d be up for a trip to Phoenix although I may need to bum a couch if we’re doing something late.

chupathingie
    Participant

This sounds like a fun summer, even with the heat (I’ve lived in Louisiana and Arizona both, and I’ll take the desert heat any day over the muggy torture that is the bayous).

Find a weekend to camp somewhere up on the Mogollon Rim if you can. Man, it’s gorgeous up there.

caradoc
    Participant

(I’ve lived in Louisiana and Arizona both, and I’ll take the desert heat any day over the muggy torture that is the bayous).

I’ve spent some time in Atlanta in August. I’ll take the desert heat, even if it’s 105 degrees out just after a dust storm and raining hot mud on me.

ravnostic
    Participant

I work all Friday nights, and 1/2 the Saturday nights. I interview for a training position this Wed, though, and if I get that (chances slim to good–depends on who I’m competing with), then I’d be on the day shift and DEFINITELY up for it. Elsewise, Saturday works best for me.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • The topic ‘summer sabbatical’ is closed to new replies.