The Hopper: Themes to be Scheduled

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Themes The Hopper: Themes to be Scheduled

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 217 total)
  • Author
    schnee
    Participant

I proposed Homage and it is now vacillating between an honest-to-goodness Homage and a Tableau. Paying tribute to Edgerton in the spirit of the contest would mean to recreate the bullet through the apple in some way – simply freezing a high speed object would not work. Entries in “Homage” should remind the viewer of a famous image (photographic, mythic, cultural, …).

I’m happy to have this sense – this spirit – renamed to “Tableau” if needed – it seems better suited. “Homage”, the word, could be repurposed to allow for homages to Edgerton or whomever – images done in the style of someone.

I think all this confusion stems from me not fully appreciating the meaning of “homage”.

/Edgerton homages may be more appropriate for the upcoming “Freeze Frame” (or whatever it gets called) theme. I’m hoping that one is a bit out since I’m working on something similar to what orionid seems to be

orionid
    Participant

I was actually planning on recreating the bullet through the card as well as the apple. I’m designing a circuit that would be sound activiated, go through an adjustable delay, then send a digital sync signal to a proffesional DJ Strobe. I’ve aready replaced the capacitor in the strobe with a smaller one to facilitate faster discharge and therefore faster flash times (at the expense of power). If my math is correct, based on the original circuit, I should have a 35W flash at 75 uS. (1/14,000th Sec.), which is fast enough for 0.1 inch of movement from a 30 cal round traveling at 1200 FPS. (High grain, low powder charge).

If it didn’t work, or if you think this might still be missing the mark for the theme, my fallback is the memorex ads from the 70’s and 80’s….

Edit: Correction after looking at my notes again, 1050 FPS and 7.5uS (1/140,000 Sec) and 0.095 in travel.

schnee
    Participant

Memorex ads, that would be awesome. Edgerton is awesome too – both fit my original concept. I don’t want to bias the creativity.

I hearby make a motion to change “Homage” to “Tableau”, keeping the description / difficulty in the proposal thread.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Duly noted.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

btw, the original wording said “Take a photograph evoking one of them” [an iconic image]. The amended wording said “Recreate a famous image” which has a shade different meaning and would seem to be less open to creativity. Would you like to have it worded thusly:

Tableau: Iconic images exist in every culture. Take a photograph evoking one of them.

?

schnee
    Participant

Tableau: Iconic images exist in every culture. Take a photograph evoking one of them.

?

That seems to work. Open ended enough, definition of “iconic” is vague, I like it.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Awesome. Scheduling shall commence.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

We’ll get the hopper repopulated here soon.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Got the hopper replenished.

linguine
    Participant

So shouldnt the graveyard one be title “Graves II: Zombie Bugaloo” or something like that.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

lol that would be funny 😉

schnee
    Participant

So shouldnt the graveyard one be title “Graves II: Zombie Bugaloo” or something like that.

Oh, let’s make it that! (“Boogaloo”, right?)

Elsinore
    Keymaster

SilverStag, what say you?

/and yes, it’s Boogaloo
    //of course, that title will likely invite pics of people dressed up like zombies

linguine
    Participant

Yeah, I knew my spelling didnt look quite right as I was typing it.

corsec67
    Participant

Would the Vice Vice Baby theme be a memorial to pangolyn?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 217 total)
  • The topic ‘The Hopper: Themes to be Scheduled’ is closed to new replies.