06-13-12 – Photo Mosaics

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 06-13-12 – Photo Mosaics

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 120 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Use 4 – 20 images to create a photo mosaic. Photo subjects must be similar in nature (exp. 8 different pictures of buoys). All photos must be your own. Normal Farktography rules apply to each individual photo but you may use tools to combine your photos that would normally not be allowed. Note: Any photos used in creating the images for this theme are not allowed for individual use in future contests unless the contest specifically allows repeats..

Another quality theme by kestrana!

ennuipoet
    Participant

Free Mosaic Software for Windows

http://www.andreaplanet.com/andreamosaic/

I played with it, VERY easy, I made this as test

Original Image

Mosaic

My source was a little over a thousand JPEG images and I still had to use duplicate images. It was fast, even on my old slow computer.

All in all, I think this will be a cool software theme!

Yugoboy
    Participant

ennnuipoet, did your mosaic conform to this element? – “Photo subjects must be similar in nature.”

With the software you’ve linked to, I can probably participate, but how rigid are we going to be regarding the quoted element? I’m probably going to be OK using Red Wings pics, simply due to the sheer volume I’ve got, I can probably do similarly with flowers or something… so, unlike sleeve-faced, thanx to you, I’m probably in, but the controversy will be that element of “subjects being similar in nature.” Sleeve-faced showed us that a tough theme with narrow strictures can really limit participation. I’m sure many of us have archives deep enough to do this, but what about others?

FYI – the Screenshots page at Andreamosaics shows a Mac version as well…

sleeping
    Participant

I’m pretty sure the intent of the theme wasn’t “make a photo out of other photos”, it was more like “make a pleasing arrangement of a bunch of similar photos”:

http://farktography.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=2987

I do think we probably need to clarify the theme, as most people think of the 1st definition when you say “photomosaic”….

ennuipoet
    Participant

This photo wasn’t made to the standards of the theme, just an example of the software. For the theme I thought of using (for example) a lot of flower photos to make one mosaic of a flower.

Not to put to fine a point on it (say I’m only bee in your bonnet!) to make a decent looking mosaic you need a LOT of photos, several hundred at least. So if this theme is to conservative with the “similar in nature” part, we are setting up for another twenty entry thread theme. At least as I understand the term “mosaic”.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

We need Kes to clear this up pretty quickly. The flickr page cited as an example in the original thread is not a mosaic of the same type that ennui’s referencing and has illustrated above. The cited example is merely a grid of similar images (buoys in this case).

While I like mosaic’s like ennui’s example (I wrote an app to generate my own if you remember that thread from a couple of months ago), I don’t think they show well within Fark’s image sizes. Looking at ennui’s example, you can’t really tell what any of the component images are.

The simpler definition of mosaic as used in the cited example also removes the need for additional software.

orionid
    Participant

I was planning on doing exactly what Ennuipoet described. Two trips so far to the National Botanical Garden in DC with 300 photos each, and at least one more trip planned to Louis Ginter Botanical in Richmond.

ennuipoet
    Participant

We need Kes to clear this up pretty quickly. The flickr page cited as an example in the original thread is not a mosaic of the same type that ennui’s referencing and has illustrated above. The cited example is merely a grid of similar images (buoys in this case).

While I like mosaic’s like ennui’s example (I wrote an app to generate my own if you remember that thread from a couple of months ago), I don’t think they show well within Fark’s image sizes. Looking at ennui’s example, you can’t really tell what any of the component images are.

The simpler definition of mosaic as used in the cited example also removes the need for additional software.

Ahh, I see. Yep, we need a clarification then, because I am betting 99% of people reading the theme will go with what I did.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Ohhh I hadn’t even thought about the mosaic like ennuipoet did…I was thinking more of a collage like sleeping mentioned and CISS linked to. Definitely need to clarify, then if it’s more the mosaic like ennuipoet did, is mid-June too soon for people to get the necessary software and assemble pictures for the theme?

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

I was thinking more of a collage

There’s the key word – collage. Replace “Mosaic” with “Collage” and I think that clears everything up (assuming that’s Kes’ actual intent).

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Yes.

ennuipoet
    Participant

I was thinking more of a collage

There’s the key word – collage. Replace “Mosaic” with “Collage” and I think that clears everything up (assuming that’s Kes’ actual intent).

See, I wasn’t going to be all snarky and quibble over the concept of mosaic, but since you guys did it for me, I feel better. I’ve been in a very smartass mood of late but didn’t want to inflict it on people I actually like.

The rest of theme Farkers, fark them!

Elsinore
    Keymaster

lol! 😆

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

See, I wasn’t going to be all snarky and quibble over the concept of mosaic, but since you guys did it for me, I feel better. I’ve been in a very smartass mood of late but didn’t want to inflict it on people I actually like.

I guess I’m the opposite – if I’m snarky and smartass around you, you know that I like you and am comfortable enough to be myself. It’s my wife’s favorite attribute of mine (and if you believe that, I’ve got some swampland in Florida I’d like to tell you about… :lol:)

Yugoboy
    Participant

Well then… damn.

I was going to do the collage thing for 1 picture (I thought I was thinking outside the box) and the Mosaic software for the other 2 (Red Wings and Italy)…

New ideas needed…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 120 total)
  • The topic ‘06-13-12 – Photo Mosaics’ is closed to new replies.