10-26-11 – Graves 3: Return of the Land of the Dead

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 10-26-11 – Graves 3: Return of the Land of the Dead

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 132 total)
  • Author
    gambitsgirl
    Participant

Ok -that was the hardest photo shoot and hardest choice of my photography hobby. I didn’t know whether to post the tribute because I want photos voted on for merit not pity. But I loved the shots. And it IS stiff competition. You’re all amazing. I’m glad someone suggest this to me.

U-Man
    Participant

All right. Any input for #3?

Me peeking out from behind.
    http://photos.imageevent.com/ulle17/fark/Grave_0267.jpg
    Fallen headstone. Creative use of DoF to focus on DIED
    http://photos.imageevent.com/ulle17/fark/DIED_9850.jpg
    f/22 for starring the sun + on-camera flash to expose the statue
    http://photos.imageevent.com/ulle17/fark/Springdale_0020.jpg

3rd one (sun flare) wins it for me.

THIS

I agree,

Lens Flare = most votes

But I like the first one best personally though, it’s a beautiful shot.

Thanks for the input. My wife picked that one too.

I almost chose this one instead of the ‘Anderson’ headstones. 25 sec exposure, light the front with an LED flashlight for 5-10 sec, run behind headstone and make some back-light the same way. I did the peeking out version sort of as a whim and didn’t like it on the camera. After getting home and seeing it on a monitor I thought I could make it work with a few more tries. But then I ran out of time and the skies got cloudy.

http://photos.imageevent.com/ulle17/fark/g_0276b.jpg

Kestrana
    Participant

Welcome to the forum gambitsgirl. I appreciate the courage it takes to share your story with an audience like Fark. I hope, however emotional the shoot was, there was an element of catharsis too.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Kestrana: Got it

U-Man: Love the lens flare shot! did you have a reflector or something to light the statue’s camera-facing side?

gambitsgirl
    Participant

Welcome to the forum gambitsgirl. I appreciate the courage it takes to share your story with an audience like Fark. I hope, however emotional the shoot was, there was an element of catharsis too.

Thank you. This is my third week entering and when I got to this one I went “WTF really”? but I’m known for my dark humor. A little while after he died there was a TF thread “Where do you and your SO sleep” and I said “I’m sleep in the bed and he’s in the china cabinet”. It took a few posts but there was a general “holy shit’ laugh. It did help and I’m sure his mom will want a print of this and the kids were pretty happy with it too.

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

Gambitsgirl, I really like the shots and the story. My mom passed away about 18 months ago, this contest was the first time I’ve been to a cemetery since the funeral. It was difficult for me too.

gambitsgirl
    Participant

U-Man: Love the lens flare shot! did you have a reflector or something to light the statue’s camera-facing side?[/quote]

U-Man – that is an amazing shot.

gambitsgirl
    Participant

Gambitsgirl, I really like the shots and the story. My mom passed away about 18 months ago, this contest was the first time I’ve been to a cemetery since the funeral. It was difficult for me too.

I’ve been to about 10 funerals (ALS community is small and close knit) but this was different. I hope you found some peace out there also.

gg

nobigdeal
    Participant

I shot all mine this morning on my break in the drizzle.

Welcome to the forum Gambitsgirl. I can only imagine how difficult those shots were. Thanks for sharing them with us.

U-Man
    Participant

Thank you. This is my third week entering and when I got to this one I went “WTF really”? but I’m known for my dark humor. A little while after he died there was a TF thread “Where do you and your SO sleep” and I said “I’m sleep in the bed and he’s in the china cabinet”. It took a few posts but there was a general “holy shit’ laugh. It did help and I’m sure his mom will want a print of this and the kids were pretty happy with it too.

…and I said “I’m sleeping in the bed and he’s in the china cabinet”…

I haven’t been through the death of an immediate family member and I have no idea how I will react. But I hope that at least some of the time I will act like this. I’m positive that if my wife passed away, she’d be cool with my taking pictures.

And welcome. Stick around. There are some good people here.

geom_00
    Participant

I haven’t been through the death of an immediate family member and I have no idea how I will react. But I hope that at least some of the time I will act like this. I’m positive that if my wife passed away, she’d be cool with my taking pictures.

This is all a true story. My mother passed away in 1999. I was 17 at the time, and the first viewing was on a Saturday night. When my brother and I got to the funeral home the flowers overwhelmed my sinuses and I had to go to Rite Aid for medicine. My brother tagged along (for breath savers in case anyone kissed him).

During the walk over, there was a dumpster with a road sign in it that read “Slow Golfers Crossing.”

As I ran back to the home to get my fathers keys, he just looked at my brother and I with a WTF look, as we carried a road sign into his car, both of us wearing suit and ties.

gambitsgirl
    Participant

If you wipe her ass for 4 years you will be farked up like me :D. And thank you. I think I can tell everyone is pretty awesome. Talented at least.

U-Man
    Participant

Kestrana: Got it

U-Man: Love the lens flare shot! did you have a reflector or something to light the statue’s camera-facing side?

And to GG on the follow up question.

I drove around this big old cemetery in town; stopping here and there for photos. I saw this statue and went over to take pics. I got a few shots from her front and then went around to see what would happen if I peeked out from the shadow (btw – I do that a lot. It’s a go-to move for me. What can I say? I like it. 🙂 ) Well, I then noticed that she had a gap at her elbow that the sun went through. I took several pics that looked like this – http://photos.imageevent.com/ulle17/peopleplaces/No-Flash_0019.jpg – and then I walked back to the car for a flash. I set the flash on manual 1/16 or 1/32 power, popped a diffuser over it, and then used manual f/22 etc. on the camera.

gambitsgirl
    Participant

This is all a true story. My mother passed away in 1999. I was 17 at the time, and the first viewing was on a Saturday night. When my brother and I got to the funeral home the flowers overwhelmed my sinuses and I had to go to Rite Aid for medicine. My brother tagged along (for breath savers in case anyone kissed him).

During the walk over, there was a dumpster with a road sign in it that read “Slow Golfers Crossing.”

As I ran back to the home to get my fathers keys, he just looked at my brother and I with a WTF look, as we carried a road sign into his car, both of us wearing suit and ties.

oh dear – we shall get along just fine :D.

gambitsgirl
    Participant

I shot all mine this morning on my break in the drizzle.

Welcome to the forum Gambitsgirl. I can only imagine how difficult those shots were. Thanks for sharing them with us.

It’s a small town. Was waiting for someone to call the people in the white coats on me while I was shooting. “damn, jan just went totally crazy. rolling around in the graveyards around town on the anniversary”. 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 132 total)
  • The topic ‘10-26-11 – Graves 3: Return of the Land of the Dead’ is closed to new replies.