10-26-11 – Graves 3: Return of the Land of the Dead

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 10-26-11 – Graves 3: Return of the Land of the Dead

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 132 total)
  • Author
    Kestrana
    Participant

Welcome to the world of fark voting yugoboy! That happens just about 70%wnhs of the time with me.

ravnostic
    Participant

I haven’t done the maths (okay–I’m a geek–yes I have), but I’d estimate Kestrana‘s estimation is pretty accurate. Though I’m getting much better at it lately–I can at least say when I’m going to do well (i.e., any one picture in the top 10) or poorly (i.e., anything with a grave marker) with fair accuraccy [sic].

//because I mis-typed it, and thought it was fitting.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

I believe Rufus Lee King has 5 entries starting at 2011-10-27 09:37:11 am.

He now has seven…

Yugoboy
    Participant

Welcome to the world of fark voting yugoboy! That happens just about 70%wnhs of the time with me.

Thanx! I love the fact that I’ve got a top 10, but I’m not sure if you’re responding to something in this thread that someone else said, or this is an out of the blue congrats.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I believe Rufus Lee King has 5 entries starting at 2011-10-27 09:37:11 am.

He now has seven…

The extras are gone.

bandy
    Participant

Could a mod please enable voting on http://www.fark.com/comments/6679585/72667913#c72667913 for me? Fat fingers.

(And sorry about the dupes)

gambitsgirl
    Participant

I think I took the pity vote (if no one knew who was in that box it wouldn’t have been so memorable and UMan technically has the lead.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

gambitsgirl, don’t worry about it, your lead is still earned. Oftentimes, the story behind the shot is an integral part of its appeal. I can recall off the top of my head at least two other times where the details of the shot contributed strongly to its success – rav‘s Dirty Pictures win (where we needed to know that it was the aftermath of a dam break) and U-Man‘s Day in the Life win where his conversation with the newspaper lady set the tone of the shot. And I’m sure there have been many others.

The details you provided for it add poignancy and personalize it, neither of which are bad things.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Could a mod please enable voting on http://www.fark.com/comments/6679585/72667913#c72667913 for me? Fat fingers.

(And sorry about the dupes)

No worries, got that one envotinated.

U-Man
    Participant

I think I took the pity vote (if no one knew who was in that box it wouldn’t have been so memorable and UMan technically has the lead.

gambitsgirl, don’t worry about it, your lead is still earned. Oftentimes, the story behind the shot is an integral part of its appeal. I can recall off the top of my head at least two other times where the details of the shot contributed strongly to its success – rav‘s Dirty Pictures win (where we needed to know that it was the aftermath of a dam break) and U-Man‘s Day in the Life win where his conversation with the newspaper lady set the tone of the shot. And I’m sure there have been many others.

The details you provided for it add poignancy and personalize it, neither of which are bad things.

GG, no worries. While a part of me had the same thought/reaction you describe, it is only a small part. Just like (Be)CauseISaidSo mentioned, I definitely recognize that my newspaper lady did well because of the story I provided. I already had the same thought earlier today – before I read these comments. We could do away with all text and titles (and we have for certain themes) but that would have its own negative effects.

Photography as art should evoke emotion. Your entry certainly does that. If some of us get a glimpse of what you went through and hug our spouse or kids or friend extra tight today…well then…that would be good.

ennuipoet
    Participant

We seem to forget that photography is a story telling medium, we spend so much time on technical details, working composition and exposure that we forget how important the story is. gambitsgirl, I believe you could’ve posted your shot without caption or content and most people would’ve understood immediately the story you were telling. The elements were simple, direct and powerful, the composition of the photograph gathered these elements in a coherent fashion and portrayed them for the audience in a way the could recognize and identify. Don’t apologize for telling a story well in a way your audience can comprehend, and don’t apologize for adding elements to the story to help them along. You took a good photograph and communicated a powerful story, you deserve the win.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

To play Devil’s Advocate, photography is indeed story telling, but it’s *visual* story telling. In the creative writing classes I took in college, our professor always told us not to tell but to *show* by using the most descriptive, evocative language possible. Photography should be no different, especially because it’s a visual medium. Personally, I tend to stick to minimal descriptive stuff because I’d rather my photos stand (or not) on their own as much as possible. I think the photo in question certainly stands on its own.

ennuipoet
    Participant

To play Devil’s Advocate, photography is indeed story telling, but it’s *visual* story telling. In the creative writing classes I took in college, our professor always told us not to tell but to *show* by using the most descriptive, evocative language possible. Photography should be no different, especially because it’s a visual medium. Personally, I tend to stick to minimal descriptive stuff because I’d rather my photos stand (or not) on their own as much as possible. I think the photo in question certainly stands on its own.

So why do newspapers and magazines place their photographs within the context of the story they are reporting? It is a rare photograph (acknowledging there ARE photographs) that tell the WHOLE story. We craft images but without context most of these images are lost, we give to much credit to the audience to understand without the words.

Kestrana
    Participant

Thanx! I love the fact that I’ve got a top 10, but I’m not sure if you’re responding to something in this thread that someone else said, or this is an out of the blue congrats.

Oh whoops! Well congratulations to you, but yes I was actually replying to Yoyo. That’s what I get for posting from my phone, at work.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

So why do newspapers and magazines place their photographs within the context of the story they are reporting? It is a rare photograph (acknowledging there ARE photographs) that tell the WHOLE story. We craft images but without context most of these images are lost, we give to much credit to the audience to understand without the words.

Mostly because it’s photojournalism where the story is being accented by the photo, not really the other way around?

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 132 total)
  • The topic ‘10-26-11 – Graves 3: Return of the Land of the Dead’ is closed to new replies.