10-26-11 – Graves 3: Return of the Land of the Dead

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 10-26-11 – Graves 3: Return of the Land of the Dead

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 132 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

I don’t want to be a nag, but just letting you know the link has not been greenlit yet.

Sorry if this is old news.

It literally *just* went green.

aspidites
    Participant

I don’t want to be a nag, but just letting you know the link has not been greenlit yet.

It literally *just* went green.

Supergreen?

aspidites
    Participant

Gambitsgirl, I really like the shots and the story. My mom passed away about 18 months ago, this contest was the first time I’ve been to a cemetery since the funeral. It was difficult for me too.

I’ve been to about 10 funerals (ALS community is small and close knit) but this was different. I hope you found some peace out there also.

gg

My high school band teacher had ALS. She was pretty young when diagnosed my senior year, and her ALS was unfortunately very quickly deteriorating. She struggled a lot, but kept a positive outlook. I came back for graduation after finishing up my freshman year in college, and it was hard to see how far the ALS has progressed. I would not wish that kind of suffering and death on my worst enemy. I’m so sorry ALS got your husband.

For my part, death has been part of my life since I was very young. It might explain my morbid fascination with cemeteries. I like to wander through reading names, dates, ages, honoring the memory of people long ago forgotten. The rows upon rows of baby and child headstones get me every time, though. Nothing puts the past’s child and infant mortality rate into perspective like a trip through a cemetery. One family in a local cemetery lost 10 or 11 children at all ages from infant through teenagers. I can’t imagine…I don’t want to.

We had 4.5 years with him. The kids were 3 & 5 when he was diagnosed. It was dark but we made the best of it. It is true – no one deserves it.

I noticed the same thing. Most of my shots were of child graves. Put my loss in perspective. If it had been one of my kids I don’t think I would make it.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/gambitsgirl/6284626466/in/set-72157627861382357

/ok off to bed. politically correct fall party as room mom tomorrow :-/ thank y’all so much for the welcome.

Sorry about your husband. Nobody should have to go through that. I helped take care of an army friend that had terminal cancer. The hardest part was trying to explain what was happening to him to his son and daughter.

Yoyo
    Participant

Ugh. This is the second time that I’ve woken up early to post pics only to be disappointed by my timing, or lack there of. It would be nice if Farktography would have a standard time for hitting the main page as well as TF. Or am I just clueless?

Now that it has dropped, for some reason, I had a heck of a time posting the “Unknown” image. Kept getting “image too large” result.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Actually, it does. It goes green at 12:01am Thurs morning.

Yoyo
    Participant

I thought that the midnight was GMT, when it hits TF.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

No, it’s Farkistan time. 8pm Wed to post to TF, 12:01am Thurs to hit the main page.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Yay, I just love it when Fark decides to change up the page layout! NOT.

Sorry for the late start, Fark decided to start inserting a place marker for non-votable comments even when “Hide nonvoting comments” is checked which resulted in the scraper balking at the changed layout, which meant a last-minute emergency fix.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

^This is why the farktography.net photo scraper has been broken for 3 or 4 yrs…..

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

gambitsgirl, now that the thread’s gone public, I can see what the talk here was about. I’m so sorry for your loss. I don’t think I’d have the strength to soldier through this contest after that considering the timing, so bravo for your courage.

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

I hate one b-side this week. It’s from the same cemetery as the three I posted. I took the shot because I liked the way the white stone aged to a high contrast black/grey/white pattern over the course of ~140 years. But while editing it I finally made out the words and I really like the elegant wording that introduced the woman’s name. It reads:

The Last Tribute Of Grateful Love To The Memory Of Mrs. Mary McLean

I think that’s a beautiful, respectful sentiment for a passed loved one. I was in such a hurry when taking the photos since it was the last day of a business trip, I was on the way to the airport with very little time, and on top of that someone was walking around shooing people out since the cemetery was closing in 15 minutes. So I really had no idea what was on the headstone when I took the shot.

lokisbong
    Participant

Well what a day. I have been baby sitting for a friend all day (12hours) and just got home and picked three. I have been procrastinating going out to shoot this thinking I had another week for some stupid reason so all I have are archive shots.

Yoyo
    Participant

I have been procrastinating going out to shoot this thinking I had another week for some stupid reason so all I have are archive shots.

My shot of the general’s grave was sort of a target of opportunity. Tuesday I had to make a trip to the airport, and on the way back my driver and I stopped at a gas station to let some other vehicles drive by. Lo and behold, right across the street was this monument. I should have started a photography club as an excuse to get off base and spend quality time taking pictures.

My other two are from R&R vacations. I am always amazed by how my shots rank among the voters compared to how I think they will. Even when I try to think like how I imagine the Fark audience will, based upon past results, I still get things backwards.

My Spanish chapel shots would have benefited greatly from a wider-angle lens. The Spanish cathedrals are absolutely amazing, and Burgos has almost completely restored theirs. It’s the current resting place of El Cid. It’s a bit creepy when you realize how many people are buried there. One chapel was completely ringed with wooden chests of drawers and portraits of the residents on the walls above them.

Curious
    Participant

I am always amazed by how my shots rank among the voters compared to how I think they will. Even when I try to think like how I imagine the Fark audience will, based upon past results, I still get things backwards.

if i had a nickel for every time i’ve read that … well it might make a couple of dollars 🙂

mopsy
    Participant

I believe Rufus Lee King has 5 entries starting at 2011-10-27 09:37:11 am.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 132 total)
  • The topic ‘10-26-11 – Graves 3: Return of the Land of the Dead’ is closed to new replies.