01-19-11 – Color Popping Naturally

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 01-19-11 – Color Popping Naturally

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 223 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Take a photo that appears to be black and white/grayscale with the exception of one object or color. Difficulty: No selective desaturation or other post-processing tricks to create the effect.

Theme suggestion kudos to mopsy!

EdenLiesObscured
    Participant

this is going to be tricky.
    oh wait, i could paint a room b/w and throw in a brightly colored object!

geom_00
    Participant

I know this is WAY off, in terms of time…but could someone please let me know if the background of this is homogonized/monochomatic enough for this contest?

http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae353/jpw173/Farktography/IMG_4035.jpg

Kestrana
    Participant

It’s too pinkish for my tastes imo, sorry

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I have to agree with Kestrana.

mopsy
    Participant

geom 00, if you go to the color popping theme you’ll see where this idea came from. A couple of suggestions doing it naturally would be…..a colorful fall leaf on the snow; a red scarf on an aged wooden floor; a yellow rubber duckie in a drained bathtub. That sort of thing.

geom_00
    Participant

Thanks all! Figured I would ask at least!

Kestrana
    Participant

Good to see you’re getting ideas already!

geom_00
    Participant

Good to see you’re getting ideas already!

I have to be honest….that was a mix of remembering this upcoming contest, and “The Camera made me do it” 🙂

Kestrana
    Participant

My camera makes me do lots of things…

QueenMab
    Participant

so…probably a dumb question, but what does “monochromatic” mean? Literally it means one color but in the context of the contest are you intending for the background to be black or white?

If I have a photo of a mostly green forest with one brilliant red tree, would that qualify? Or a picture of a slab of red rock canyon wall with a purple flower growing on it?

Thanks!

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Hm that’s a good point to clarify. The intent was that it would look like a black and white photo other than some splash of color. But “monochromatic” could be interpreted as you said. We should probably edit the theme description to make that more clear.

ravnostic
    Participant

…a red scarf on an aged wooden floor. That sort of thing.

Please do clarify; not sure if an aged wooden floor wouldn’t be kinda brown for a shot? But IIRC, this was more a ‘b/w except for that one thing’ kind of theme when suggested.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Depends on the aging of the wood. Aged enough and it could be very gray. Regardless, I swapped monochromatic out for b/w since that’s what was discussed in the original thread.

mopsy
    Participant

ravonstic, I was thinking of my deck when I said aged wood and it is gray. When I first thought of this theme, it was a direct result of the color popping theme. And if you go back to that you will see it is all in gray scale with a single solid color item within that photo. The definition of monochromatic is one color tone or tones. Shades of one color usually grayscale. But I suppose shades in a desert would be monochromatic and yes shades of green could be considered monochromatic. Do you want to open it up to more than grayscale?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 223 total)
  • The topic ‘01-19-11 – Color Popping Naturally’ is closed to new replies.