01-19-11 – Color Popping Naturally

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 01-19-11 – Color Popping Naturally

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 223 total)
  • Author
    ravnostic
    Participant

I got about half way through and made my decision. If you were to start pulling because there are those with too much color or the wrong background, you would be pulling “LOTS.” I realize there are those who try to stay within the letter of the theme, I tend to be one of them, but I think you just have to let it go and hope the voters will take the theme into consideration when they vote.

Gotta agree with this, if only for the reason that if a lot of pics are pulled, people may be upset and decide farktography isn’t something they wish to follow–and I kinda like having all this interest–even if it’s not particularly for my pictures.

[b/]Orionid and Kestrana[/b]–the new dynamic duo…

Elsinore
    Keymaster

It’s themes like this wot cause unrest. 😆

Seriously, I’m a much more rules oriented person, so when we have themes that end up with a lot of subjective gray areas (no pun intended) without the intention of it being an “open to interpretation” type theme, it really messes with my inner need for clear objective boundaries. For this theme, I’m not even talking about stuff that’s shifted more toward a brown or green or yellow tint–monitor differences play a role there–more along the lines of uttertosh’s white flowers, Sb00ya’s yellow flowers, Technohead’s garden statuary, Ennuipoet’s bloody rose, and to a lesser extend, doralives’s wall art. These are all images that go beyond tints but rather have multiple subjects in obvious color and/or multiple colors that “pop”. Regardless, it’s probably too late to address these at this point.

Kestrana
    Participant

FWIW ennuipoet‘s rose didn’t bother me much since I viewed the “rose” as being the “one object” – but Technohead‘s statue I thought deserved a DQ. So wherever the line is between those, I’m on it.

Kestrana
    Participant

And thanks everyone for the kudos – the barn picture was actually shot out the passenger side of a moving vehicle as we were coming back from shooting orionid‘s picture. Kind of an “oh! look at that moment” and then he turned down the wrong street.

orionid
    Participant

Rather than quoting a bazillion times, I’ll just say a collective thanks everyone for the kudos.

It was actually kind of funny that day. About halfway to the point where I took that shot (I knew exactly where – I got the idea when we were out shooting for Autumn), Kestrana was already bitching about the wind and snow but kept going because she knew I wanted the shot. After I got the shots, and we stood in the wind shadow of a utility building for a few minutes, she drug me around the rest of the park to get shots she had thought of while we were there. I rolled my eyes, decided I deserved it, and trudged on.

Also, when I got to work and saw it on the monitor there, the background on my butterfly looked much more red/brown than it did at home, so I’m willing to give some leeway to things like that. For the things that are less to the letter of the law, I’ve noticed that the voters, fickle as they may be, tend to vote down things that don’t adhere to the theme, so I’m okay with letting them sort it out at this point.

ennuipoet
    Participant

I’ve noticed that the voters, fickle as they may be, tend to vote down things that don’t adhere to the theme, so I’m okay with letting them sort it out at this point.

I certainly noticed that in the case of my bloody rose, the vote totals are quite low while my other entries are doing pleasingly well. I did take shots off the idea that were completely in theme:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ennuipoet/5374403850/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ennuipoet/5374403848/

I felt they weren’t as compelling. Of course, had I used one of those I might have been proven wrong. No matter what, I shall strive to hew closer to the rules, if for no other reason than not being the sort wot causes unrest to Elsinore! 😆

Kestrana
    Participant

Goodness knows there’s never been any sort of unrest at Castle Elsinore!

orionid
    Participant

I’m kind of a rules are more like guidelines person, (which made me VERY popular in the military with my superiors! )

I know how this goes quite well. Someday, they’ll give up and adapt to me.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Goodness knows there’s never been any sort of unrest at Castle Elsinore!

😆

ennuipoet
    Participant

I’m kind of a rules are more like guidelines person, (which made me VERY popular in the military with my superiors! )

I know how this goes quite well. Someday, they’ll give up and adapt to me.

Let me know how that works out, after ten years of trying I gave up!

U-Man
    Participant

I’m a bit late, but I’m sincere when I say “nice shot, orionid”. I zipped past it last night and it jumped off the page. Great composition and ‘feel’ + Great match with the theme difficulty = Votes. I was beginning to think that the 70 vote winners were a thing of the past.

/we’ll have to get in touch with schnee and see if he can migrate 10% of the votes over to kestrana as a cold-weather modeling fee.

U-Man
    Participant
    ravnostic
    Participant

Crap–my hosting acct is down. No time to call godaddy before I go back to work. Have to take care of it next break. As if I weren’t doing poorly enough! (Looks like they changed my IP–which might resolve itself–I really need to get the dedicated one).

Anyone out there who CAN see my images right now?

edit–back up now. Whew! Thanks for input, guys. Glad I don’t have to call techs–what a hassle!

U-Man
    Participant

I can. All three.

Curious
    Participant

i just saw them.

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 223 total)
  • The topic ‘01-19-11 – Color Popping Naturally’ is closed to new replies.