01-19-11 – Color Popping Naturally

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 01-19-11 – Color Popping Naturally

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 223 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

orionid: Yep, got ’em

EdenLiesObscured: Thank you! Also, I love your puppy shot, but there’s no color pop to it?

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Not always, but sometimes. Where it can come in really handy is when the light is totally wrong.

Yeah, I guess I should’ve qualified that a bit more. It won’t take a really saturated color and turn your image into grayscale, but works on slight tints. For example, in my color popping background the rocks had a bit of color to them so I used that technique to make them more grayscale without affecting much else.

Eden, thanks for the props! And I’m with Els on your dog shots (not just this one) – I’m not usually a boxer fan, but he/she looks like a real sweety.

orionid, I can’t remember another time I’ve seen the top entry already have 36 votes first thing Thurs morning. Awesome shot, really defines this theme.

lokisbong
    Participant

I would also like to say thanks to EdenLiesObscured. That was taken specifically with this theme in mind. As were the firecrackers which I was so worried about last night that seem to be the more popular of my shots this week. the only archive dive for me is the stone on the beach. But I might have had this theme in mind but I cannot remember. I still feel outclassed but not as bad as I did yesterday. there sure are some nice shots this week.

Plamadude30k
    Participant

Thanks, ELO! Would it help to know that the particular shot you’re talking about was my very first long-exposure shot and was not intended to look like that at all? I hadn’t quite figured out my camera yet. The starfield in question is the summertime sky from Curtain Springs, Australia. You can also sort of see the LMC near the trees in the bottom right.

EdenLiesObscured
    Participant

orionid: Yep, got ’em

EdenLiesObscured: Thank you! Also, I love your puppy shot, but there’s no color pop to it?

subtle color pop, maybe? stretching the rules, undoubtedly?
    i’m (attempting to) claim her white as the color pop. white’s a color.
    but, yes, there isn’t a true “color pop.”

the white boxer is female, just turned 3. the brindle is a male, 6.5 yrs old.
    boxers are all i’ve ever had….

Elsinore
    Keymaster

But that’s the thing. The theme says, “Take a photo that appears to be black and white/grayscale with the exception of one object or color.” So without one non-black/white/grayscale color, it’s just monochrome without the color pop the theme requires.

Kestrana
    Participant

I’m glad orionid’s picture is doing well because it makes it worthwhile to have hiked a mile into a state park through three feet deep snow and blizzard conditions specifically to take it!

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

😆 Awesome. The things we do for these contests…

/Really like your barn photo, too, BTW.

kashari
    Participant

I’m glad orionid’s picture is doing well because it makes it worthwhile to have hiked a mile into a state park through three feet deep snow and blizzard conditions specifically to take it!

It’s a great image, I was going to comment on it when it was first posted, LOVE IT!! The barn shot is really nice too, so thanks guys for your efforts!

ennuipoet
    Participant

I keep going back to your Winter Walk orionid…I think it may a perfect photo, composition, content, exposure…damn…that is a nice shot.

Elsinore: I see your point about the lack to true monochrome in blood and roses. I think it is consistent with other entries in the thread, but I am content if you want to pull the shot. I’m of the mind to not worry much of a muchness 🙂

zincprincess
    Participant

Sometimes you have to suffer for your art or in this case you suffer for your spouse’s art as well.

I knew when I saw that show up on flickr a few days ago that it was going to do really well. I think my exact thoughts were “dammit orionid”. It’s really lovely.

/edited to note that your pics are awesome too.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I’m very torn on this. Looking through the thread there are some other shots I missed when scanning through that obviously have more color than grayscale tones. Mopsy: Do you have an opinion?

I have to second (third? fourth?) the shout out to the one-two punch of orionid and Kestrana this week. Two pretty epic threads in a row is nice to see.

mopsy
    Participant

I just got home from work. Let me go through the thread and I’ll give you my opinion, for what it is worth.

ennuipoet
    Participant

I’m very torn on this. Looking through the thread there are some other shots I missed when scanning through that obviously have more color than grayscale tones. Mopsy: Do you have an opinion?

Looking at the Top Ten all them fit the spirit of the theme, but each of them have colors beyond black/white and the pop. Most of them are muted, subdued, but present. I’m kind of a rules are more like guidelines person, (which made me VERY popular in the military with my superiors! ) so I like to nudge the theme. Personally, I believe the wider interpretation leads to better photography but that is a personal thing not a stance on the issue.

mopsy
    Participant

I got about half way through and made my decision. If you were to start pulling because there are those with too much color or the wrong background, you would be pulling “LOTS.” I realize there are those who try to stay within the letter of the theme, I tend to be one of them, but I think you just have to let it go and hope the voters will take the theme into consideration when they vote.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 223 total)
  • The topic ‘01-19-11 – Color Popping Naturally’ is closed to new replies.