01-19-11 – Color Popping Naturally

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 01-19-11 – Color Popping Naturally

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 223 total)
  • Author
    lokisbong
    Participant

I just checked that out and yeah it drops picture count from 802 pictures down to 251 on my 4gig memory card. I do have two 4gig cards though. I will give it a try. it can’t hurt unless I go somewhere and try to take over 500 images in one afternoon. Which has only happened a handful of times in the two+ years I have had the camera.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

It’s not bad enough of a tint to worry about for this. Different monitors display differently, and we have to allow for that. But yeah, probably a white balance issue.

lokisbong
    Participant

Cool. I was willing to have it pulled if it strayed to far. Thanks for not making me chose something else. I am not sure I have anything other than bottle caps in snow to switch it out with. I didn’t think trash in the snow would do as well.

ravnostic
    Participant

Do you shoot in RAW and use Canon’s DPP? If so, choose the “Click white balance” option of the White balance adjustment and then click anywhere on the cloth. The point you click doesn’t have to be white – it’ll adjust the photo so that the point you click is a shade of white (i.e. gray) and should remove the green tint without affecting the red of the firecrackers much at all.

What!! 😯 This is ALL I have to do? 🙄

I shoot in both RAW/Jpeg, and have been manually attempting this via the color temp scale. Shesh. Where’s my damned manual…I gotta read up on this.

//thanks for the tip! 😀

ravnostic
    Participant

Hate to pick on the newb, but a dead fish (Theadeaus)?

Also, looks like someone has sour grapes for U-Man’s cherries (which by my reckoning is a separate shot, though perhaps taken in the same outing.)

Oh, and damn, you Orionid, and your snow! 😉 I’m seriously considering not even entering ‘Winter’. Given the state of my tires, I don’t dare drive the 3 hours to get to it/drive through it, and realistically, my Arizona chances are slim to none elsewise. I think I’ve got enough ‘credits’ to keep my ultra-farktographer status even if I skip one–and if not, such is life.

Overall some really nice entries and I won’t be surprised if I’m lucky to have just one entry in the top 50% this week.

olavf
    Participant

Do you shoot in RAW and use Canon’s DPP? If so, choose the “Click white balance” option of the White balance adjustment and then click anywhere on the cloth. The point you click doesn’t have to be white – it’ll adjust the photo so that the point you click is a shade of white (i.e. gray) and should remove the green tint without affecting the red of the firecrackers much at all.

What!! 😯 This is ALL I have to do? 🙄

I shoot in both RAW/Jpeg, and have been manually attempting this via the color temp scale. Shesh. Where’s my damned manual…I gotta read up on this.

//thanks for the tip! 😀

Not always, but sometimes. Where it can come in really handy is when the light is totally wrong. 80% of the time I feel I do better adjusting manually, but I’ll usually try a click first.

Unless you have a grey card. Which I do, and usually forget to use =P

Plamadude30k
    Participant

Oh, and damn, you Orionid, and your snow! 😉 I’m seriously considering not even entering ‘Winter’. Given the state of my tires, I don’t dare drive the 3 hours to get to it/drive through it, and realistically, my Arizona chances are slim to none elsewise. I think I’ve got enough ‘credits’ to keep my ultra-farktographer status even if I skip one–and if not, such is life.

I’m in the same boat down in Tucson. My only hope for snow is possibly some up in the Catalinas if a storm comes through, but I’m not holding my breath.

ennuipoet
    Participant

The only one that really concerns me is Ennuipoet‘s “I close my eyes and I see blood and roses”. That one has the rose and the blood color popped against white, so it’s really two different colors–red and green–and two different objects. the rose/its stem and the blood.

I toyed with that in several different ways not liking any of the crops or composure without the stem. I’ve got B’s of macro close rose and faux blood drops if it falls to far outside of the parameters. Let me know and I will replace it. It’s not doing so well in the voting that it will matter.

To tell the truth I went liberal with the theme trying to make it fit a vision in my head, a meta-theme within a theme! 🙄

Uranus
    Participant

The only one that really concerns me is Ennuipoet‘s “I close my eyes and I see blood and roses”. That one has the rose and the blood color popped against white, so it’s really two different colors–red and green–and two different objects. the rose/its stem and the blood.

saw that shot, smiled, moved on…I just figure we can view it as a blood-soaked rose – that way there’s only one subject 😉

Curious
    Participant

Man I am kinda worried about my second entry. The fire crackers sure pop out but now the background cloth I used is looking less than true b/w. It almost looks like it has a greenish tint to it? I know it is actually black and medium dark gray. its the same piece of cloth I used in last weeks theme behind the skull candles. Is it close enough? I can pull it and pick something else if I have to.

the background for my original second and third shots looked too brown so i re-shot them using a piece of gray matte board.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Hate to pick on the newb, but a dead fish (Theadeaus)?

Also, looks like someone has sour grapes for U-Man’s cherries (which by my reckoning is a separate shot, though perhaps taken in the same outing.)

The dead fish is gone. I don’t think Mista Sparkle’s comment was sour grapes. I’m pretty sure he was making conversation about having shot something similar himself. The photo in question links to Mista Sparkle’s Flickr, and you can see the shot on his FSM profile.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I toyed with that in several different ways not liking any of the crops or composure without the stem. I’ve got B’s of macro close rose and faux blood drops if it falls to far outside of the parameters. Let me know and I will replace it. It’s not doing so well in the voting that it will matter.

To tell the truth I went liberal with the theme trying to make it fit a vision in my head, a meta-theme within a theme! 🙄

I really don’t think it fits within the bounds of the theme description. There are basically three colors in the photo, but 2/3 of those colors are color pop–red and green–as opposed to shades of black, white, and/or gray. However, no one else commented on it, so I may be the only one seeing it that way.

EdenLiesObscured
    Participant

some that i really like:
    sleeping = red leaf
    ravnostic = stadium seating
    uranus = chili pepper mustache
    orionid = red coat in snow
    kestrana = red barn in snow
    silver stag = red pawn
    u-man = whore frost
    elsinore = one hook to rule them all
    queen mab = kyoto train station
    zinc princess = pink sandals
    plamadude30k = trees, stars, long exposure
    zittlechick = gerber daisy on snow
    olavf = red lips on white face
    becauseisaidso = rose on piano
    lokisbong = stalk in snow
    rangerjoe = fluorescent amish
    technohead = red shirt(s)

orionid
    Participant

Elsinore:
    I just talked to Gimmlett. She misunderstood the theme. Could you kindly pull her entries?

Also, ELO, thanks!

ravnostic
    Participant

Thanks, ELO, much obliged.

//rather disappointed at the poor showing of the Native American Dancer. Especially as a similar shot was 3rd place in Az. Highway’s annual amateur photography contest. 🙁

Voters. Fickle.

On the other hand, judging from Orionid‘s leading entry, it looks to be another epic week.

//at least for Orionid. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 223 total)
  • The topic ‘01-19-11 – Color Popping Naturally’ is closed to new replies.