01-19-11 – Color Popping Naturally

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 01-19-11 – Color Popping Naturally

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 223 total)
  • Author
    ravnostic
    Participant

I had an excruciating time with the B/W one last time (Elsinore and U-Man may still have the schitzo emails I sent to prove it). I just might sit this one out, as what looks grey on my monitor doesn’t seem so on others. Or I’m just color insensitive. I dunno.

LeicaLens
    Participant

My two yen on this one:
    I think the examples posted by Pope_Larry_II and EdenLiesObscured are fine. If we limit it too much we will have a) entries all the same (something on snow, or painted on a black background), b) sneaky photoshopping, or c) very few entries.
    Having a single colour popping out of the picture, like the pink cloth or the orange glow on the leaves, should be allowed in my view. I ought to add that I thought the top left corner in EdenLiesObscured‘s entry might be a tad too colourful.
    Also, having gone out a few times with the camera for this theme, I can say that having a strict definition of “monochromatic” will not make this a fun contest. The original inspiration for this theme, picture of a woman on bridge holding a red umbrella, was actually one of my shots, and if you look again you will see the sky is also tinted red as it was nearing sunset. That would probably make the shot ineligible for this contest, if we apply the strict definition.

Uranus
    Participant

I’m with LeicaLens on this one.
    Despite the awesome talents on display here, getting a natural clour-pop will probably narrow the field too much (says guy who shot something on snow for lack of a better idea at the time).
    I prefer the spirit of the theme to the technical/definition aspect.

Kestrana
    Participant

I see the point that you’re making about narrowing the field and the spirit of the theme, but at the same time I don’t want to start tailoring themes to fit the pictures we’d like to use – to me the point of farktography is to push us as photographers and if you don’t have anything in the archives, well there’s 2 weeks to get out and shoot something new and try to get creative with it. Just a few ideas I didn’t use:

Oreo ice cream, whipped cream with a cherry
    White face makeup, dark eyes, red lips or black lips and bright eyes
    Dark hair, colorful ribbon or conversely platinum blond and ribbon
    Bright colored candle on dark background
    Black roses on a white background
    What do you have in your house that is black/white/grey & interesting that you could put on a colorful backdrop?

ravnostic
    Participant

What do you have in your house that is black/white/grey & interesting that you could put on a colorful backdrop?

I hadn’t thought of the inversion concept–I have some beach-worn flat grey rocks that I’ve just been itching to get into a contest; nifty idea!

By the same token, this seems to be a parallel argument being had over in ‘weather’. If the skies are always cloudy, there’s a chance for fog, dew (which I consider precipitation, an effect of weather), mist, hazing, probably more.

I completely agree that tailoring the contests to what we want to shoot defeats the porpoise, even to the point that I may not get 3 suitable photos for this contest (though now I’ll have at least one–thanks, Kes!)

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

I tend to agree with Kestrana it’s more about shooting something that fits the theme rather than fitting the theme to the photograph. The purpose of asking about my photo was to determine the upper end of the range of background colour. I have no issues with it being rejected, but now that I know that it is too much, I have a benchmark to work from.

Just to toss out ideas, an aquaintance has a photo of a parking garage from above that fits the theme. The black of the asphalt and the salt staing are offset by the yellow lines.

Or think of concrete, it’s usually grey and, more often than not, tagged with colourful graffiti.

but, that’s just my 2 cents.

Kestrana
    Participant

I hadn’t thought of the inversion concept–I have some beach-worn flat grey rocks that I’ve just been itching to get into a contest; nifty idea!

Or even put them on a white/grey/black background and add one colorful item like a seashell, driftwood or a desert flower!

Whenever I get frustrated and feel like I have nothing for a contest I walk through my house and in my neighborhood for maybe 30 minutes and usually I either come up with something or find something that will work. Sometimes the idea tanks but at least I’ve shot something new and maybe learned something in the process.

geom_00
    Participant

While working on this…I have another rules/regs type question.

Can we have two different colors popping at once, or does it have to be the same color?

I can’t provide an example yet…my materials are not all here yet…

linguine
    Participant

While working on this…I have another rules/regs type question.

Can we have two different colors popping at once, or does it have to be the same color?

I can’t provide an example yet…my materials are not all here yet…

It has to be one object or color so as long as the colors are on the same object it would be fine.

mopsy
    Participant

geom 00,I just reviewed the original color popping theme that gave me the idea for doing it naturally, and yes, there were entries with more than one color. But the colors were part of the “popping” part of the photo, not part of the background. Basing my answer on that, I say, yes, to more than one color as long as it is not part of the background.

geom_00
    Participant

geom 00,I just reviewed the original color popping theme that gave me the idea for doing it naturally, and yes, there were entries with more than one color. But the colors were part of the “popping” part of the photo, not part of the background. Basing my answer on that, I say, yes, to more than one color as long as it is not part of the background.

Awesome! Thanks!! 😀

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I would just caution about too many colors potentially defeating the entire idea/effect of color popping…..

ravnostic
    Participant

Basing my answer on that, I say, yes, to more than one color as long as it is not part of the background.

What about what Kestrana brought forth as an idea, the background rather than the foreground being the color popping element?

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

I was came across this and thought of this contest.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21883298@N08/5336158053/

it’s sort of color popping naturally….sort of.

Curious
    Participant

I was came across this and thought of this contest.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21883298@N08/5336158053/

it’s sort of color popping naturally….sort of.

yeah right 🙂

your Toronto_63 is much much closer. i’d even overlook that bit of blue in the background.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 223 total)
  • The topic ‘01-19-11 – Color Popping Naturally’ is closed to new replies.